Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best Rear Shock Option for TallboyC ??
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

i have a now dead RP23 Kashima, which needs a service,

no do i get this PUSHED or is there a better shock on the market these days?

cheers

dirtyrider
    Free Member

evening bump

Candodavid
    Free Member

Tempted to try this one from TF Tuned

dirtyrider
    Free Member

165 x 38 on the tallboy

Paceman
    Free Member

Why not just get it serviced?

boxelder

Any advice for shock set-up? I’ve done nowt more complex than 20% sag, but sure there must be better setups? Biopaces a bit when stood up – though climbing traction is impressive.

damascus
    Free Member

I had an rp23 kashima shock. Swooped for a monarch rt3 just to try it. Really impressed with it so far. Seems far more tubeable with more spare parts available for you to tinker with. They are also half the price

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The new one comes with Fox CTD which the missus likes on hers. Only issue is the lever has got jammed so it’s going back to fox for a new one – seems a common problem as the one from her blur LTc is there now.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Why not just get it serviced?

i probably will, tech moves quickly, ive had the frame 2 years, i wondered if i was missing anything with new bells and whistles

Paceman
    Free Member

There are always new parts with all the latest bells and whistles, doesn’t always mean they’re better though. The latest top-spec Tallboy 2 Carbon comes with a Fox RP23 so the designers at SC obviously think it’s the best shock for the frame.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

er no it doesn’t
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.co.uk/tallboy-ltc/
    they have been CTD for a year or so now, Alloy gets the base Carbon gets the TA Kashima one

Paceman
    Free Member

A lot of feedback from riders suggests the CTD damping is a step backwards from the ProPedal damping on the RP23. It’s the same shock apart from that. Stick with the Kashima RP23 and get it serviced if I were you.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got a PUSHed RS Monarch on my Tallboy C. Very impressed and it works beautifully for me. I’d suggest running a bit more sag than 20% on the back of Tallboy though, I have about 33% or so as I prefer the way they ride when you sit a bit further into the travel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A lot of feedback from riders suggests the CTD damping is a step backwards from the ProPedal damping on the RP23.

I’ve run both on my Blur LTc.
    Firstly the suspension design is such that it lives with most shocks really well I lost the compression damping in mine and it did take me a little while to really notice, in trail mode it does pedal very well.

I swapped to the RP when it was off for a service and I really missed the trail mode, the On/Off of the RP23 meant I was either running in pro pedal with it turned to low but it was never quite right.

The CTD steps of nearly locked out for road & smooth up, D for nothing but down and trail for 70% of the time when it’s just variable works really well for me, it’s the middle ground that makes it better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best Rear Shock Option for TallboyC ??’ is closed to new replies.