Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best place to look for flights….?
  • missnotax
    Free Member

Hello 🙂

Am planning a rather lovely holiday in October to Utah. With my bike 8)

What’s the best website to trawl through different flights etc? Or worth popping into a travel agents?

Thanks!

jools182
    Free Member

skyscanner seem good

Mackem

Aye, skyscanner

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Skyscanner or Kayak are your best bets. I think Kayak has a feature that tries to predict if the price of a flight will go up or down and gives a buy or wait recommendation that can be handy.

missnotax
    Free Member

Great, thank you.

Unfortunatelty they seem to have all gone up by about £100 since I checked last week. DAMN.

The dilemma now is whether to book at the current price or wait to see if they go down again…. Being a boring old fart i’m drawn to the first option rather than risking them going up!

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m not an expert but I think for long-haul, flights are cheapest when they first come out which is generally 11 months before flight date. On that basis I’d get ’em booked sooner rather than later.

Look online but then give Dialaflight a call, they can consistently beat online prices by about £100 per person return*. I’ve used them several times over the years, great customer service. My very frequent flying mum and step-dad use them all the time.

EDIT: *That’s on flights costing £900-1000.

dknwhy

How disappointed am I?
    Read the title as “best place to look for fights?

missnotax
    Free Member

Sorry – not sure fights will help with the Moab trip 😆

Yes, I agree, booking sooner rather than later I think.ooh, will give dialaflight a go too – thanks!

bentandbroken

I’m not an expert but I think for long-haul, flights are cheapest when they first come out which is generally 11 months before flight date. On that basis I’d get ’em booked sooner rather than later.

I think that is generally true, but some carriers (BA and Virgin for example) have annual (sometimes biannual) sales. I’m pretty sure I got an email from BA announcing their summer sale a few days ago so it may be worth a google ref the sale dates

headfirst
    Free Member

B&B is right about the sales – dialflight will know about them too!

I promise I don’t work for them, I’ve just had really good service from them over the years.

keppoch

But bear in mind if you are taking a bike with you the charges for bike carriage are likely to be a bigger factor than the differences between the flight options.

Virgin take the bikes for free whilst most others charge.

When we when to Utah we flew with Air Canada but I know Virgin fly there as a friend has returned since.

As an aside is it ever a good/feasible/cost-effective idea to send a bike separately?

If you are looking for guiding and advice try either Sacred Rides or Mountain Bike Buddies. Great riding in Utah.

d45yth
    Free Member

Beware of any internal flights…they can’t guarantee oversized baggage will get on if it’s busy! That was a dealbreaker for me when I was supposed to be going on an organised trip.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best place to look for flights….?’ is closed to new replies.