Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best natural loops in the UK
  • Special_ized_Jamie

I am aiming ride 52 times this year and it looks like I’m going to do it but next year our first baby is due so no more weekly rides for me.

With this in mind I would like to get a list together of some great loops to do when time allows. I ride trails centres a lot so really looking to do some more natural stuff as it seems like years since I came off the top of a mountain on a trail that wasn’t designed by bikers for other bikers.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Get yourself to the lake district 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Or Wales 8)

andrewh
    Free Member

Rannoch Moor

james
    Free Member

Or scotland, or ..

allyharp

I’ve done a fair bit of natural stuff in Scotland and managed 2 of my favourites across 3 days last year: Torridon and Glen Sligahan on Skye.

Some tasters:

IMG_6485 by allyharp, on Flickr

IMG_6572 by allyharp, on Flickr

IMG_6726 by allyharp, on Flickr

Garry_Lager

The Beinn a Ghlo loop has to be up there. It’s not a wow! ride like Ally just posted, more of an introduction to Highland riding – nothing too hairy-ersed but it’s a good solid length, feels very remote, beautiful landscape and all rideable bar one short bit. Also accessible from the main trainline at Blair Atholl.

Special_ized_Jamie

I have ridden a lot of famous areas but looking for some hidden gems. Rode the lakes and the Peaks a few years ago but as I might only get a days riding up there I would really like to make sure I get the best riding I can done rather then riding around trying to find some epic singletrack.

Rannoch might be a bit far but in a couple of years I would like to ride up that way and finish off the trip by riding into Knoydart.

LD
    Free Member

Count the smiles!

Special_ized_Jamie

Thats looks good LD but where is it?

LD
    Free Member

The famous Torridon, Annat/Achnaschellach route. It is better than they say it is, lots of info on this forum. The descent to Achnashellach is by far the highlight, technical heaven. Loads of tricky fun climbing too, well worth getting fit to take full advantage. A long way to go for most but worth the trip before baby!

ruscle
    Free Member

Quantocks if you hook up with Mr Sharki or any other friendly local.

njee20
    Free Member

Surrey Hills should be on the list too.

IanW
    Free Member

Rode the “Gap” in the Brecon Beacons a couple weeks ago, thought it was a really good mix of terrain. Nothing too gnaar but a great xc loop. Would love to be close enough to ride it weekly.

Special_ized_Jamie

I’m hopefully going to be riding ‘The Gap’ in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to it as I’ve only heard good things about it

stuartkendall
    Free Member

Its okay but its not fantastic IMO. Certainly nothing like those images above.

In no particular order you’ve got the main climb to the gap descent, a small gully (i cant get up t’other side!), the main gap descent itself (which has been ‘flattened’ out a little), The Brinore tramroad climb out of Talybont and depending on route options – The Dolygaer descent.

A few kms of road/canal path riding Brecon to Talybont also.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi LD I rode the famous Torridon, Annat/Achnaschellach route a few years ago and have wanted to go back again ever since. Went up a few weeks ago, and did a variation.
    Starting at Coulags ride up past the bothy etc. Then the past the loch and the hike a bike up to the corrie. Here you would normally bear left for the decent down to Torridon. We bared right and traversed accross and round Bealach Ban for a bit of hike a bike upCoire Grannda.
    From here it is pretty much all down hill / flat to meet the start of the decent down to Achnashellach. It measures about 7km of down i reckon. 😆
    Its a smaller loop than the one you describe, but is very good. I took some pics will mabe post latter if your interested. Cheers.

lardhelliwell
    Free Member

Did this yesterday,good fun,plenty of long decents.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113410107#.TmxmYG8_-9E.facebook

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’d heard that The Gap was a bit dull, but then I rode it last winter with some mates and the snow certainly made it an adventure, especially carrying bike all the way up the long climb, sinking into the knees with every step. As it got darker and the top didn’t appear to be getting any closer, I did begin to wonder if mountain rescue helicopters would take bikes. This was the closest I’ve got to thinking I’ve made a serious error here.
    The drifts were deeper on the other side, but rideable if steep enough. As soon as the gradient tailed off, you sunk in, stalled and were over the bars. We eventually made it back to the village, but in darkness. Stupidest thing about the whole ride was no one had a camera and I’m certainly never going back in those conditions to get some good shots!
    So there we are, The Gap, anything but dull in the right conditions!

LD
    Free Member

NCB, I’ve heard of that variation being done but using the climb up from Annat then over and down to Achnaschellach and round again. Maybe a shorter day would be good to allow more enjoyment before fatigue sets in.
    I was a bit underwhelmed by the Annat descent, it was good but nowhere near as good as the Achnashellach one. Pics would be good. Cheers.

IanW
    Free Member

Single Day TripInspire by this thread I found this website which seems like a good resource.

rOcKeTdOg

The NW Alps will entertain you

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

a few pics from my last trip up to the Torridon area. As requested.

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/Turner5spot20/torridon%202011/DSCN0614.jpg[/IMG]

the start of the long decent to Achnashellach

As you can see from the photos it ended with a bit of rain but the rock is very grippy! I would recomend anyone who is planning riding there to take a couple of sets of spare brake pads. The ground is quite sandy and very abrasive.

Ewan
    Free Member

Loop round the cairngorms is very good.

gusamc
    Free Member

Harris, Tarbert/Rhenigidale is a corker.

dreednya

Surprised that no-one has mentioned Pont Scethin or Tarren Ridge in Wales. Then there is the Teifi Terror for those with flippers 🙂

Special_ized_Jamie

Never heard of a loop in Pont Scethin, anyone have one mapped?

Rik
    Free Member

Walna Scar or 3 Passes – nuff said

40mpg

Brecon Beacons killer loop is good and easily extended, too for a double killer. The Gap is scenic but not as interesting a ride.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best natural loops in the UK’ is closed to new replies.