Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best lightish weight wheelset
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

What is regarded as the best value “trail/all mountain” wheelset these days? I want something lightweight for my hardtail, but not XC race stuff. I’m not a light or delicate rider particularly, so DT Swiss 4.2 would be no good for example. The bike will be hammered over rocks and will get airborne on occasion, but I don’t want/need a big burly wheel. I just like riding in the Peak District.

I’ve had Mavic 717 rims in the past and put plenty of dings in those, although they still work. I’ve had/got 719s now which seem to be holding up OK (on my full susser). I’ve got no particular allegiance to Mavic.

Not bothered if they’re cup and cone hubs, but do want them to be plain black rims/hubs.

Recommendations warmly received 🙂

RepacK
    Free Member

Check out Hope Hoops – they have a good selection & well priced IMO.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Generic recommendation is stans rims with Hope (or Shimano if you know what a cone spanner is).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

No problems with a cone spanner, and in fact I find the rather brutal way press fit bearings are fitted rather unsatisfying.

Thanks for the recommendations. Has anyone else got anything more specific? i.e. which particular rims/hubs to look at

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have recentish Hope Pro 2s on Mavic xc717s and I can’t fault them however they have got aa lot pricier recently.

Mindful of this when Mrs Matt needed a new rear wheel, I went for a Merlin built rear XT hub on xc717 and am VERY impressed – delivered for under £100 and although cup and cone, lighter than my rear hoop – I think.

Worth checking out.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden them yet as still waiting for parts to finish the bike off but I have some Hope Hoop Pro3 AM4 on DT Swiss EX500 rims….all plain black.

http://www.hopegb.com/voir_whspam4.html

I bought these for the exact reasons you state.

MM

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The default answer on here is likely to be …
    Hope Hoops, Pro II hub with Stans Flow rim.

Much as I hate to be a sheep, I really can’t fault that answer.
    Tubed or tubeless, suit yourself – brilliant wheelset run whichever way.
    Strong and light.

krixmeister

What Ecky-Thump said – you won’t regret that choice.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve got hope pro3 on stans 355 – cannot fault them either. Been through everything, wales, peaks, trail centres, rocky descents

Nice and light too and love the fact i can run tubeless

alanbill99

Yep – another for Hope Hoops on Stans ZTR rims.
    I researched it for a while trying to get light weight with minimal outlay. I think I bought them from CRC in the end at a very good price (sub £400 for pair).
    Very smooth running so far (6 months)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best lightish weight wheelset’ is closed to new replies.