Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • best lap time over cwmcarn and whites level??
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

iv never timeed myself but i tend to take about 1hr 1/2 for cwmcarn with a few stops and a chat.
    not really rode afan that much so i would be interested in what people can do around there, i know my mate can do cwmcarn in 50mins and his friend dont ask me how but done it in 37mins!! but he does race xc and knows it like the back of his hand.

singlespeedstu

If you want to “race” people why not enter a race. 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

37 mins for cwm carn? Thats an AVERAGE of 20mph more or less. If they’re capable of that, kudos to them.

cubemeup
    Free Member

not asking to race just interested in knowing ur times. his name is anthony boyle i know he can beat the uplift van to the top!!

singlespeedstu

u r 12 and i claim my 5er

mrmo
    Free Member

37 mins for cwm carn? Thats an AVERAGE of 20mph more or less. If they’re capable of that, kudos to them.

you sure about that? i was under the impression that cwm carn was c9 miles for a lap. which gives a speed of c13mph fast but believable.

Last time i went i did it in an hour-ish

cubemeup
    Free Member

singlespeedstu, run that by me again??

Janesy
    Free Member

Fastest ive ever done Cwmcarn was 54 minutes. I dont race XC.

singlespeedstu

It’d be pointless so i won’t bother.

but some 1 i now rann from here to like there and did it in like 13 minintes even though it seams imposable. 🙄

cubemeup
    Free Member

ok i get you u fella ur one of them!!
    the gulf between semi pros to your everyday amateur is a massive gulf. you only gotta look at golf so for a guy who is riding 5-6 times a week with all the top kit is going to be a lot fitter and more tech sound that than a good rider who does 3 days a week.

singlespeedstu

ok i get you u fella ur one of them!!

What? someone that can sniff out a bit a interweeb BS?

Yes your’e right I am. 😆

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

cubemeup – you do realise that you’re arguing with one of the best bike handlers i’ve ever met dont you.

cubemeup
    Free Member

by the sounds of it i am!! i will have to hang my head in shame

singlespeedstu

i will have to hang my head in shame

There ain’t no shame in a bit of STW BS.

Or so it would seem from a lot of the posters. 😉

cubemeup
    Free Member

no BS here i was asking a question, so stu if a weekend warrior can do a sub hour around cwmcarn ur saying the a semi pro/pro rider couldnt smash their time??

loddrik
    Free Member

Let the willy waving commence…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I did it in 36:50 last weekend on my rigid singlespeed. Wasnt very dusty though.

singlespeedstu

There’s quite a difference between “just under an hour” and just over half an hour on a route like that.

At just over half an hour there must have been a huge dust cloud over the whole of south wales.

loddrik
    Free Member

I did them both in 4 min 26 seconds on my fixie…

DT78
    Free Member

Cwmcarn 55 mins odd on the big bike. Would imagine I could shave 10 mins or so if I went on the race (not as fun) bike.

Did it on my stag do with some new chaps to biking and it took 3.5 hours 🙂

More of a challenge is to get up the entire climb without stopping/dabbing. Best I’ve managed with one dab, so far….

cubemeup
    Free Member

i found it hard to swollow and asked tim in martin ashfields and he said he was well capable of doing that time. my mate can do 52mins around and smokes and drinks for fun.

singlespeedstu

loddrik – Member

I did them both in 4 min 26 seconds on my fixie…

Did that include riding between the two trails?

Was it a brakeless fixed gear?

What gear inch?

Road tyres of cx?

Dropbar or silly narrow flatbar?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

What tyres for time based riding willy waving?

loddrik
    Free Member

Did that include riding between the two trails?

But of course!

Was it a brakeless fixed gear?

That’d just be silly given the necessary velocity. I am merely supremely gifted, not burdened with a deathwish.

What gear inch?

I’d say cucumbers, radishes or maybe some celery.

Road tyres of cx?

Slicks baby.

Dropbar or silly narrow flatbar?

Ive eschewed the conventional steering apparatus and have found a nice praying mantis with rudimentary navigational skills. He’s a little deaf though some sometimes there can be a delay in my wanting to turn and his registering the instruction. Having said that, it didn’t adversely affect my time, as I’m sure you’ll agree..?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, only one thing for it really:

SSStu V Cubemeup’s mate.

RACE!

Money where mouth is time…

And if anyone makes up some excuse why they can’t do it, then they’re a Bottle-Job and they’ll have to give all their bikes away (to me) and take up kitting.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it Cubemeup, some regulars on here are just too cool to mention times etc, don’t take it personally.

A good time round Cwncarn is about 50 mins or less. My mate used to do it on his SS at just under 50 mins he’s quite quick, but not a racer type. Although a mate of mine did do it in 37 mins, he is pretty quick thou and races road quite a bit. I do believe that Magnus who used to be a local did it in about 28mins, although i might of got that wrong, i think that he holds the unofficial record anway. You could look at the student champs that they had there a few years back, but i think that they used the road a bit on the ups.

Just ignor the daft comments, it’s just STW.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’m sure Magnus Backstedt is still local? I can’t see there being much truth in a 28 minute lap, it would be about 24mph average… but I have also heard he did a quick lap.

Anything under an hour is a good time.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Wasn’t there an issue of MBUK a few years back where a few English XC racers (inc. Oli Beck I think) and a few Welsh racers were challenged to set the fastest lap, I seem to remember times of the very low 40s being recorded. Not sure what conditions etc were like. As someone who has participated in road and XC races torn to shreds by O’Boyle I can confirm that he is very quick indeed, 37 sounds incredible but not impossible. He’d soundly thrash me round there and to put it in perspective I once managed a 55 on a 38lb Patriot and have done sub-50 on more XC orientated bikes (though never singlespeed – did Whites once on the Dirt Jump bike though ;-).
    I do think it’s interesting knowing what a course is possible in… just hammers home how inadequate we are despite (perhaps) leading home a group of our own equally hungover, proper job + family = minimal training mates.

gothandy

I have often thought about starting a thread like this. glad I didn’t do it now.

i’d be well chuffed if I could get a couple of laps of Cwmcarn in under 1h 40m (one lap is too much of a sprint for me).

Last week in the wet I didn’t get under the hour so got a way to go yet but nice to have a goal.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I thought that cwmacarn was only 8 miles? Not sure really. Good racers could easily do an average of 16mph plus on a course like this not problem. Work it out from that.

njee20
    Free Member

They did a BUSA XC race there in 2008, the quickest riders were Elite XC racers, no one got sub 40 IIRC. I can see 37 minutes being possible by literally a handful of people in the right conditions. Not 28 minutes though, I reckon even Nino Schurter would struggle with that!

njee20
    Free Member

Edit: double post!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Smee could do it in 27.

njee20
    Free Member

He could do laps all day at a consistent 27 minutes! After riding down at 24mph too.

singlespeedstu

Elfinsafety – Member

Well, only one thing for it really:

SSStu V Cubemeup’s mate.

RACE!

Money where mouth is time…

I can’t see anywhere on this thread I’ve claimed to be fast.

The only claim i made was that i could smell a bit of BS.

Seems like a few others can too.

Oh and you wouldn’t want my bikes as you don’t like them. 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I finished it before I started.

radoggair
    Free Member

i held the record before records began 😛

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Radoggair – You and Andy Barlow set up a date for that race round GT black yet? 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

maybe come summertime when its a bit dryer, he’l lose and he knows it!! 😛

stravaiger
    Free Member

The OP can always have a browse
    here
    if he wants to avoid the wrath of the STW scribes – it also demonstrates there are plenty of folk out there who are curious about their time for a ride and to see how it compares with others (none of those entries are mine BTW)

If I go solo round a trail centre then I take usually keep an eye on the clock – if I am with others then time doesn’t matter (record on GT black was 5hours – that did get a bit tedious in the rain)

Having ridden Cwm Carn and knowing how much faster the likes of Raddiogair will go the OPs rane of times sound reasonable to me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘best lap time over cwmcarn and whites level??’ is closed to new replies.