Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best Internet Security?
  • shooterman

My Norton protection has expired. What is the best (ie performance relative to cost) internet security package?

molgrips
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Windows Defender
    Windows Firewall
    Malware bytes

All free, all good and not intrusive.

uplink
    Free Member

You need to [properly] get rid of Norton first

Google ‘Norton Removal tool’

Reluctant
    Free Member

Agree with all the above recommendations.
    If you paid for Norton via credit card, they tend to automatically renew, wether you want it or not. It took me ages to cancel renewal and get a refund. I used the “text chat” method rather than phone and it all went smoothly – really long winded though. Norton’s good security wise but slows things down too much. Used MSE since and it’s been fine except one trojan which i zapped with malwarebytes.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

malware bytes is good but Kasperski or bullguard are up there too

Norton is wa*k btw

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Kaspersky here. Seems very good. Frequent database updates. You’ll need a proper amount of RAM, mind. Half the price of Norton/Symantec.

3 loads per disc. Year license.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

just remember that malwarebytes is NOT an AV client, it is a spyware scanner/removal tool. so you shouldn’t just use MWB on its own. install it, by all means, and run it every couple of weeks (the free version does not have a real time scanner function) but also install a decent free anti-virus client too.
    something like MSE is good, or FWIW i have been using AVG for the past 12 years without a single issue on any of my machines.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t like Kaspersky because it kept bugging me with questions to which I had no hope of knowing the answer:

fhdjks32.exe wants to make changes to jhfbnee.dll. Do you want to allow it?

Er, howtf should I know? And I’m a software developer so have more clue than most about what goes on during these installations. So you just end up clicking ‘yes’ all the time which renders it somewhat useless.

uplink
    Free Member

I think you can configure Kaspersky at install to make it’s own mind up and not bug you with all the questions – just like other AV stuff really

shooterman

Thank you to all who replied. Microsoft security essentials is now installed.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

MSE seems to be doing a good job here

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

get off windows!!! Sorted

Waderider
    Free Member

The best internet security is to use an operating system with a smaller market share, which basically means linux or OSX (i.e. a Mac). Internet crime targets the mainstream. In the first case you’ll be rolling the dice on the steepness of the learning curve – linux can be either a surprisingly pleasant or a surprising unpleasant learning experience, based on your facility to learn a new OS and your hardware compatibility with the operating system. However, I’d encourage anyone with more than a fleeting interest to give it linux try – google ubuntu 10.04 wubi. In the second case – OSX, the world of mac, you pay for the security, which is good for those time poor and cash rich.

If you wish to stick with Windows (which I firmly believe is the operating system of the past), Microsoft Security Essentials and common sense when browsing will see you a long way. Paying for internet security really is something from the past, for domestic use especially.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

ubuntu 11.04 FTW

colournoise

Switch to Linux (current Ubuntu builds are dead easy to install and use).

Failing that, a Windows based combo of –

Hardware firwall on your router.
    AVG free.
    Zonealarm free.
    Spybot S&D.

– has always served me well when I’m forced to use Windoze.

slainte 😀 rob

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

also if using windows set up a limited account for web browsing rather than a full admin account that way if you get infected its harder for the the virus or whatever to propergate without your input.

Waderider
    Free Member

RaveyDaveys last post is a good’un. Just remember, when using the limited account, not to type in any administrator passwords if requested :-).

sarahcoles
    Free Member

Macafee or Kaspersky are best for Internet Security 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

Macafee or Kaspersky are best for Internet Security

Just to be bolshy and break my own rule regarding arguing on internet forums, I have to say the appearance of the word “Macafee” in the previous post can only be an error on the responders part. There are other things I disagree with on this thread – such is the way of the net – but rarely am I so certain that someone has posted misleading advice.

It may be arguable that you get an extra 1% protection from a paid for security suite like Kaspersky, but I am very confident market laggards like Macafee and Norton are actually worse than some of the free offers.

I earn money fixing computer hardware and software, as a sideline to my main work admittedly, and make it my business to keep up with such things. Of course this doesn’t guarantee my opinion………

Internet security is free. This has been the case for some years. In any case the best way to achieve good internet security is to have a computer user who is at least partly educated in the ways of malware etc. and the pitfalls of the net.

Sorry sarah, I really am that confident you have posted misinformation. People can argue below (or maybe take the wise course of action and let this thread sink 🙄 )

jazid
    Free Member

I’d also recommend the following;

Check that adobe reader and flash player are up to date regularly.

Religiously patch or uninstall java if you are not sure whether you need it or not, as this is another route for internet nasties.

I only kept java for openoffice, but it seems that writer and calc do not need it so it has now been uninstalled.

MSE recently intercepted a nasty on an mtb forum (!) which used a pdf file to exploit adobe reader old versions 8&9). A full scan revealed other known java malware scripts in my Internet Explorer cache. So I’ve run spybot (search and destroy) and it’s not found anything.

+1 on the good advice on running a limited windows account to keep you a little safer.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i avoided the “ditch windows” suggestion because it’s somewhat tiresome and most people aren’t interested in doing so (FWIW i run ubuntu on my home laptop and earn money fixing hardware and software on windows based networks and PCs, so i am well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both options!)

whilst a limited user account on a windows box will further reduce the chance of infection, as long as you keep up to date with security updates to the OS and, yes java and adobe, then you don’t really need to go that far. i’ve been using an administrator account on my windows box for well over 10 years without a single infection during that time.

Cougar

Some mixed advice here. +1 to Waderider, Uplink, Herby. However, the best advice is …

Check that adobe reader and flash player are up to date regularly.

as long as you keep up to date with security updates to the OS and, yes java and adobe,

… these.

jazid
    Free Member

“i’ve been using an administrator account on my windows box for well over 10 years without a single infection during that time.”

… That you are aware of, as I’m sure there are plenty 0day exploits that noone knows about yet. At least that seems to be what China boasts about and I suspect they are correct.
    Of course if you leave that PC turned off then you are probably right.

jazid
    Free Member

Poldarn
    Free Member

AVG Free on all my systems, seems happy enough.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I recommended the limited account for people who’s comp has multiple users but kids in particular, who can’t resist clicking anything that is ‘free’ or music or ringtones for their phones. It’s just always worked for me with 3 click happy kids.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best Internet Security?’ is closed to new replies.