Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best insurance for bike owners?
  • stick_man

I'm looking for suggestions for the cheapest house insurance where decent bike cover is included.

I've used M&S for a few years but they're getting very expensive and I'm wondering if it's cheaper to insure the bike separately.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

stick_man

Any ideas?

Thanks.

nickegg
    Free Member

Only been M+S for 3 years but they're by far the cheapest we've found that offer the cover for our collection of bikes, home and abroad.

Thats just under contents insurance though.

toppers3933
    Free Member

do a search on here, read the results then call m&s. good cover, reasonable prices, reliable service. done.

jacksta
    Free Member

I'm having the same problem – M&S renewal came through at over £800!

Problem is, everywhere else I have found will only insure bikes up to £1,500 each.

Are there really no alternatives?

firestarter
    Free Member

I got my renewal thru the other week it had gone up from four something to well over six hundred. So I checked on line. Called up cancelled my existing policy and got a new m and s one online for just over three hundred. I did exactly the same last year too

Rich_s

New policies with M&S get 30 quid through Quidco as well.

mrplow
    Free Member

How do you insure your bikes if you keep them at another address. I keep my bikes at my parents so are they covered under their contents insurance if they do not own them? What about if the bike is away from the property with me – is it still covered as I am the owner not my parents?

stick_man

Mr Plow, I imagine your bikes will be covered at another address if you choose the option to insure away from home. This option will increase the premium a bit though I expect.

Jacksta, have you tried the online quote? Will probably be a lot less than the renewal BUT I've discovered that if you've made 3 claims in six years you can't apply online and get the better deal.

Graham_Clark

Same thing here… M & S renewal was expensive so I rang them and the very helpful chap explained that they have changed underwrtiters so renewals will still be looked at using the old 'measures' whereas the new quotes are with the new 'measures' and so are less…
    So I just cancelled the existing policy and got a new one online… Happy, happy…

paulS
    Free Member

Called M&S as the renewal price was high,
    chap on the phone explained you get 20% online discount that he couldn't give.
    Cancelled exisiting renewal through him, and made a new online application at the lower price.

Paul.

mrplow
    Free Member

Thank you Stick_man – I'm a bit stupid for not thinking that! Might call and check before sorting my contents insurance at my current address as it currently does not have away from home.

jacksta
    Free Member

strangley, just after posting I decided to get the online quote – hey presto way cheaper. Then I also noticed that on the renewal letter they had included stuff like zero excess and no claims bouns protection that I can live without so that's made it heaps cheaper too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best insurance for bike owners?’ is closed to new replies.