Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tip of the Day (and associated QR question content)
  • al_f
    Free Member

Tip: if a QR skewer is apparently stuck in your rear hub, do not bang the drive-side end of the QR on the ground in an attempt to free the skewer and allow you to replace it. If you do, the entire cassette and freehub body will fall off, spilling its delicate springs and pawls onto the ground necessitating both an expletive-filled search for the fallen parts and a premature end to the morning's ride.

In related news, anyone got any idea how to get the damn thing out? Soaking overnight in WD-40 and a large hammer have so far failed, it's apparently seized solid. I only regreased it a couple of weeks ago too. 🙁

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope hub?

al_f
    Free Member

Yes – is it a "known issue" (the sticking I mean, not the falling out and spilling its guts on the floor bit), or was that just a lucky guess?

Onzadog
    Free Member

No,never happened to any of mine. It was just that the freehub comes off really easily and can let go of the pawls and springs if you're not careful.

al_f
    Free Member

Well, a further overnight in the wd-40 and it still won't shift. Any ideas?

luked2
    Free Member

Just one more reason you've got to love single speeding 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd be amazed if my shimano freehub popped off that easily, I normally require at least 20 minutes with a chain whip and cassette tool to get it to pop off the freehub lol.

al_f
    Free Member

Yeah, my first reaction was "I didn't think they could do that". 🙄

angryratio
    Free Member

g clamp over cassette/freehub.. then **** the skewer with a soft faced hammer.

Lifer
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    I'd be amazed if my shimano freehub popped off that easily, I normally require at least 20 minutes with a chain whip and cassette tool to get it to pop off the freehub lol.

You use a chain whip to get your freehub off?

😉

poppa
    Free Member

That's why it takes so long.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A Shimano freehub couldn't drop off without shearing the huge bolt that holds it onto the hub body. The Hope freehub doesn't use a bolt.

What exactly is the QR skewer seized onto? Do you have any pictures of the mess?

sam42
    Free Member

hope freehubs don't take much persuasion before they slide off and spill their guts all over your kitchen, i liberated mine takin a cassette off…..
    gives you a chance to clean and re-grease it!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

To get The stuck QR out your gonna need to rest the wheel on the open jaws of a vice and with an old QR or something with a simmilar diameter try and tap the qr through the axle, when it moves a bit turn the wheel over and tap it back. Everytime it moves squirt some oil in, it will eventually come out. I doubt you will pull it out. Next time, grease the shaft of the QR before you put it in!

Murray

Soak in PlusGas – it's designed exactly for this sort of thing. Make up a funnel with Plastacine to ensure that it gets a good soak and leave the wheel flat over night so that the Plusgas can runn down the skewer.

al_f
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member
    What exactly is the QR skewer seized onto? Do you have any pictures of the mess?

It's seized inside the axle. Thanks for the PlusGas/plasticine funnel tip, will give that a go. I did grease it (only about 2-3 weeks ago!) which is why I can't understand why it's so stuck…

imp999
    Free Member

I don't know Hope hubs but might it be that the axle is bent along with the QR and so its not releasing?
    Pics would help.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tip of the Day (and associated QR question content)’ is closed to new replies.