Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best guide book for Marrakech?
  • BlingBling
    Free Member

I'm planning on taking the girlfriend away for a long weekend in November and fancy Marrakesh. Anyone recently been?
    There are so many guide books and reviews are all split so cant decide which ones to get.
    Also any advice on things to do/places to eat etc. while I'm there?

I've always want to go to Marrakesh so I'm excited but also quite a bit apprehensive.

Moses

It's only worth a couple of days IMHO, and there's not that much to see apart from the markets, some mosques, etc
    Be prepared for lots of hassle.
    We ate in a cheap place at the edge of the market: not a stall, but a permanent cafe with plenty of middle-class Moroccans eating.

Went in February and effing Ryanair cancelled our flight back to Bristol.
    They did offer us seats on the next plane with space available, which was in 3-4 weeks.
    So we paid top whack to get back to another airport, paid £180 for the taxi ride home at 3am.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Eye Witness Guide to Morocco is awful. Absolutely useless and dire. I can only comment on that one, as we didn't have another one, sadly.

Don't know how you're doing it, we were in Marrakech for a week, and it went best when we used our travel agent's local rep. She seemed to be being paid enough that she didn't feel the urge to rip us off every which way, which was a definite hazard.

We very much enjoyed the Bert Flint collection, which barely got a mention in our guide book, and the Majorelle Gardens are an absolute must. The Menara gardens were a long schlep, definitely not worthwhile unless you're there on a clear day with a view of the mountains. And if someone comes up to you on the street and offers to take you to visit a tannery, just tell him to piss off. A tiresome racket, run by egregious tossers of the first order. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Incidentally, I was there for a week and agree that it is only worth a few days as a visitor. There is a lot to see if you have to stay a week, but I think the same is probably true of Peterborough. 🙂

rowley
    Free Member

its like stepping back in time to the middle ages. its fascinating but a little seedy and possibly not a romantic relaxing break. the markets and lanes are amazing and the square is very atmospheric at sunset. Some nice rooftop bar/cafes around edges of square. BUT you get seriously hassled and ripped off at every turn and there is a high likelyhood your partner will get groped.

vinnyeh

really wanted to like it, but failed to be particularly impressed- spent 2 weeks there- wish we'd been able to get into the mountains, but circumstances dictated otherwise. As others said, it's probably best as a long weekend, 3-4 days worth.

we had the hg2 marrakech guidebook, website here

Caher

Went there about 5 years ago with GF too. Used LP and their website for recommendations. Thought Marreckesh an amazing place but tired of the contact haggling and battering. Also you cannot ask anyone directions without them wanting payment for it.
    Caught a bus over the Atlas Mountains to Ait Benhaddou where they made Gladiator etc – awesome place a real tastes of the Sahara. The original inhabitants the Berber live there and they are much less pikey.

atlaz
    Free Member

I've been a few times (usually only for a few days at a time in amongst going to other places in Morocco). Marrakech is good fun and better if more of a "hanging around" sort of visitor than just chasing the sights (email me if you'd like a recommendation on a great riad to stay in). First time we went we had a lonely planet I think, but since then we just do a lot of google searches and find what we're after.

If you can, try to get out into the country a bit. You could catch a bus out to the coast but it's far better to do it by taxi (can usually hire one for a day for a reasonable cost).

BTW, if you fly with Atlas Blue make sure you are NOT seated in one of the rows before or after the exit row. The lack of leg space makes it impossible for anyone over 5'8 to sit there.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Only spent 1 day in Marrakech and loved it! we did the cycleactive tour there! awesome . I'm sure I've bleeted on enough on this website about how awesome the cycling tour was! we went to Ait Benhaddou and spent a night there as part of the tour, it's brilliant! the Kasbah where Gladiator was filmed. No idea on guide books though sorry!

IdleJon

Been to Marrakech three times, last time in February and I love the place.

I'm not sure why some people get hassled as I haven't experienced that – maybe because I just say no if I'm not interested? As to being ripped off, well if you want to haggle over the equivalent of 50p, that's up to you…… I had a genuine pair of Italian made Oakleys for all of £4!! (Not the Chinese made ones, I was assured). 😆

The locals can be very friendly and they loved my two kids – maybe that's why we had a good feeling about the place this time, but I've been there without kids before and enjoyed it.

They do prefer visitors to try and speak some Arabic rather than French – just good manners to say Shoukran rather than Merci I suppose.

As mentioned above the Majorelle Gardens are beautiful. The main square and markets are a must. Off hand I can't remember where else we went, but the main town is good for just wandering.

Eat where the locals eat but make sure that you don't eat anything that's been in contact with water – fresh fruit, salad, etc. I'd say that absolutely anything you eat needs to be hot and well cooked otherwise you'll come down with the worst stomach bug you've ever had. Out of 11 of us on an Exodus holiday 10 years ago, I was the only one unaffected and only because I'd been before. Coffee, soft drinks etc are surprisingly expensive there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best guide book for Marrakech?’ is closed to new replies.