Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best Freeview recorders?
  • spacemonkey

Looking at going down the Humax route, but some people do say they’ve had a lot of problems with them. But I guess that’s the same with anything.

So what is the STW massive using?

Tis a listed property and can’t have a dish, so any sat-stuff is a ‘no go’.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I’ve had a Humax 9150 twin tuner for about 5 years now. Brilliant bit of kit.

GrahamS

We’ve got an ancient Humax 9200T that we inherited from a friend who went to cable.

Not really had any major problems with it.
    Had a few firmware upgrades to the latest software – so it still supports the newer Freeview+ stuff like series link.

We’ve got an HD telly now (genuinely inherited from a dead relly) so we’re looking at Freeview HD and I’ll probably stick with a hummy for that.

spacemonkey

Ta.

Will probably go with a 9300T because HD won’t be arriving here for another 12 months. 320Gb seems more reliable than the 500Gb – but I suspect that’s not necessarily the real world case.

kimbers

love our sony freeview dvd recoorder run perfectly for 3 years now and upscaling on dvds is impressive

also syncs with my sony bravia tv and playstation whihc is a nice touch
    heres a newer version
    http://www.imagedigitals.com/tv_data/plasma.asp?id=5156

Smarty
    Free Member

Humax freeview HD+ here.
    IMHO get the HD one, even though you won’t get HD in your area it will be ready for you when it does arrive. The HD part is only 4 channels that you won’t get right away, BBC1 HD is 50, ITV HD is 51 etc (if that makes sense) you’ll still get all the channels.

convert

Had a humax 9200T. Was fine if a little slow then it got a firmare upgrade which sorted it out. Then when our area went to more than 77 (hazzy on the exact number, but there is a number above which they can’t handle) channels (most of which utter shite) it lost the plot big time – 5 or 6 mins to respond to a remote control response and no number of reformats, reflashing of firmware or the like would solve it. So fustrating it became the victim of an air rifle shooting practise session!

After much grumbling about buying from the same firm again I did go for another Humax. I went for a freesat box from them instead though. Bought a dish (circa £35 from ebay) and installed myself (about an hour inc finding the right satellite). Bought the Humax as a managers special from Humax Direct which saved a load. The main reason for freesat was because freesat now has iplayer support and soon to get the itv and channel 4 versions too. I have to say I now watch as much iplayer as I do self recorded. Freeview boxes are due to get iplayer soon but not for another year or 2. You will get HD straight away too if you buy the Humax foxsat box. Channels not quite the same but the ones worth watching are.

I’m sure others have have know this for ages but last week I learnt how to download recorded programs from the humax box onto a memory stick or hard drive. With a free download of VLC Media Player I can now play them on my laptop when away in the van & with Handbrake downloaded I can rip to my ipod/iphone for trains & planes too. Excellent!

spacemonkey

You will get HD straight away too if you buy the Humax foxsat box

Don’t you need a dish to pick up free-sat? We can’t have one, hence limited to freeview – which we get through HD-ready TV.

IMHO get the HD one,

Would like to but can’t justify the extra £200 (from say £150-£350) for something like the Fox HD thingy. I reckon HD units will drop by a good few quid next year anyway + neither of us are that bothered by HD quality at the minute anyway. A nice-to-have more than anything else.

Smarty
    Free Member

Would like to but can’t justify the extra £200

Ah! I didn’t know the difference was that much, TBH I didn’t look at the nonHD ones.

convert

Shame about the dish thing – Foxsat (Humax’s HD freesat one) is only £180 on the manager’s special bin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best Freeview recorders?’ is closed to new replies.