Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Best frames for uk riding???
  • gregfreer
    Free Member

Hi all

I know there are so many different reasons to pick different frames however I am just throwing the question out there for general opinion:-

What is the best full suspension frame for uk riding and why?

What is the best hard tail frame and why?

Cheers,

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably one in the UK.

gregfreer
    Free Member

Nob.

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s a lot of this about at the moment is’nt there 🙄

I am also a ‘knob’ btw.

gregfreer
    Free Member

Seems so. Only asked a question ya know?!

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Perhaps try a better question next time.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A question that is so vague,unspecific,non descript and without a possible definitive answer as to be ,for all intents and purposes pointless.Ya know.
    “Help us to help you”….say it with me.

float
    Free Member

What is the best full suspension frame for uk riding and why?
    orange 5, it shows to everyone in the trail centre car park that youre not a mincer

What is the best hard tail frame and why?
    cotic soul, it doesnt suffer from chainsuck, and people like the orange colour

gregfreer
    Free Member

You are all so cool.

yossarian
    Free Member

Whatever frame you’re selling is the best.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Actually float is correct.Thread closed.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I give in, I give in.

The word your looking for is ”WHYTE”

I_Ache
    Free Member

FS probably something like a stumpy/Fuel EX/5. Enough travel and vercitility for over 90% of UK trails.

HT BFe because its ACE! And a reasonable price.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I give in, onceinalifetime can’t even spell ffs.

galactus
    Free Member

I’ve had a Santa cruz Heckler and a Zesty both great bikes for UK up and down 😀
    My mate has a Cove Stiffee hard tail that he swears by…
    So many choices….Orange Five…Nomad
    Ti/carbon,aluminium,steel hardtail..wow I’m tired just thinking about it 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’re welcome.

Two riders in the UK on FS frames

So it’s either a Demo8 or what I think is a titus

o96192083
    Free Member

best full sus: Apollo

best for hardtails is probably the Carerras.

Both decent framesets from a quality bike shop.

gregfreer
    Free Member

Right ill nip out n get myself a Carrera tomorrow.

Wicked.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Another satisfied customer….our work is done here chaps.
    For future questions read this:

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.

You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.

Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.

Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.

No paint job makes everyone happy.

Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.

Steel is a great material for making bike frames – so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.

You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.

Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.

Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.

Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the UK can be super cool.

Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.

Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.

Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.

Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.

Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.

Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.

It sucks to be harassed by assholes in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind assholes on bikes.

Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.

Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.

Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.

Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.

Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.

Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.

If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.

Touch up paint always looks like shit. Often it looks worse than the scratch.

A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.

Bikes purchased at Halfords, Toys R Us, Tesco, or lidl are generally not the best bang for your buck.

Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.

Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.

32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.

Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.

Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.

Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.

The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.

Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.

Stopping can be as much fun as riding.

Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever you’re riding on. You should thank them.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Goddang, you talk s#ite horseradish, well that’s what I think when I see your username 😛

gregfreer
    Free Member

I’ve read all that somewhere before. . . . . . . . .

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve read all that somewhere before. . . . . . . . .

Somebody’s Anglicised it since I last saw it (well some of it that is – it still mentions RAGBRAI and tires).

wilde86
    Free Member

think someone needs to get laid….

james
    Free Member

“orange 5, it shows to everyone in the trail centre car park that youre not a mincer”

eh? how exactly?

As other ppl have said. Ridiculously vague question, entirely subjective at that.

(most?) bikes are fine. A bit like the whatever helmet you are wearing is better than none at all line.
    Whatever bike you are riding is better than not riding one at all ..

King-ocelot
    Free Member

FS: I recon in all honesty my mates bike takes some beating.
    HT: I recon in all honesty my gnarrr bike takes some beating.

Both are crap out of the UK though.

gregfreer
    Free Member

I reckon yeti 5 is cool and identiti aka also but only cos I got em but what do I know. Thanks. Learnt so much of you lot. Thanks for your input. You all rock.

Hadge
    Free Member

Greg, matey your question is so so vague please just think about it. There are endless parts of the UK from full on downhill stuff to flat tow paths and also woody trails. To ask which FS or HT is best is just a pointless question and that’s why you’ve had responses like above.
    If you’d asked which was best for the type of trails you ride then you would have had much better replies and some good advice too. In all honesty there is no “best” as there isn’t one bike that can do it all no matter what the magazines or press try make you buy. It’s whatever floats your boat and which one rides best for you and the one you can afford too. The Yeti ASR5 is a nice bike but technology wise its being left behind now but it does ride well and Yeti’s have that “following” I’ve owned the 575 and ARC and they’re great bikes but there are others which are better – and others which are worse. Go test ride some and enjoy.

compositepro
    Free Member

WMB magazine

theres a list of whats best in the back.

you can even read why you can trust their reviews……

your welcome

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think most UK riding involves nodding round trail centres at a snails pace. But being sure to unleash it on the downs and to send it off the 3 foot drops offs and roller doubles with your newly taught jumping skills.

For this the ideal bike is either a blue cotic bfe with a 2×10 setup and 140mm+ forks.

Or if you’re a rougher rider who likes to plough through stuff, something with a bit of rear travel like an orange alpine 160 or lapiere spicy.

dreednya

Coedy was full of stumpys today, so that must be the answer – I was blatting past them on a Mojo 🙂

powerofqman
    Free Member

This is officially the most useless thread on ST Forums at the mo…It’s Official!

shortcut

Simple. It is a turner sultan because turner make the best full suds bikes and the sultan is the one with the right size wheels!

End of!

Unless of course you are still wanting to ride little wheels or wanting to jump off very big things in which case something else. Or if you want something xc light in which case you should get a hard tail 29er but you don’t because you asked the question you did so probably a sultan! Unless you are a dwarf, in which case smaller wheels may be appropriate.

shortcut

Ps agree on the uselessness of this thread!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Best frames for uk riding???’ is closed to new replies.