• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by womp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best downtube / BB area protection tape
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I’m after something to protect the downtube / BB area on my carbon frame. It needs to stick well and stay stuck, as well as providing protection from big log hops, rock strikes etc.

I have thick 3M helicopter tape on the downtube at the moment which does the job ok, but it isn’t doing the job around the BB housing area as it keeps coming unstuck.

Any recommendations?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Tape won’t protect the downtube from big impacts like heavy rock strikes and logs. This will, though:
    http://www.rockguardz.com/

HermanShake
    Free Member

I saw a chap with a piece of tyre zip tied to his frame around there, it actually looked pretty cool. From halfway down the downtube to under the BB shell.

Del

^ tyre is what i use. dunno about ‘pretty cool’, my mates take the pi55, but having had two steel frames dented down there i can put up with their ( weak ) banter. 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Not sure I need anything as thick as a tyre, it’s mainly about catching logs on the BB housing in our local woods (which has lots of log hops). I just need some something tough and flexible that won’t come unstuck.

Tracey

We use the Rockgardz on our carbon frames

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers Tracey, will check their site 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont you have a chainset to protect from log strikes ?

bigdean

Best i heard was using an old mouse mat. I’ve just tie wrapped some toolbix non slip matt to the frame.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Lizardskin carbon leather downtube protectors are very good, just remember to clean the area first with provided alcohol rub and they don’t come off

Leku
    Free Member

I have a Rockgardz (seems to work well) on the down-tube and sugru on the rear carbon swimg-arm where it drops below the bottom bracket.

https://sugru.com/

chiefgrooveguru

Delft pattern bashring? 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Delft pattern bashring?

LOL 😆 I thought a large bash was the answer (even in a dutch pottery style 😉 ) but I keep rubbing / catching the BB housing on some of our unique local log features which you’ll know well CGG.

They don’t do a Rockguard for my frame but that Sugru stuff might well work.

womp
    Free Member

Shelter tape on mine

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best downtube / BB area protection tape’ is closed to new replies.