• This topic has 27 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What's your Post-Excercise recovery food?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

What do you eat, and what should you eat, following a seriously big ride/run/swim etc?

I tend to head straight for toast and Nutella, although after last night’s ride, porridge hit the spot.

I have had a “recovery shake” or 2 in the past when I was training for a trail running race and they worked great, but I’d much rather stick to proper food.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve moved on from trying various specially designed shakes etc. to a pint of full fat milk with chocolate nesquik! Seems to work great

ajantom

Ale and cheesy chips

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Ride, Milk, nesquick (chocolate), banana, blender, drink, stretch, shower, proper food with carbs, protein and veg within the hour, massage with roller, rest. It’s a system you see, no one magic element, but lot of pieces of a puzzle.

Disclaimer – I’m not a pro and have not raced for years but I do have a degree in Exercise Science! The above works for me but its best to play with a few ideas and see what works for you.

Have you read The Obree Way? Well worth it for myth busting on this matter.

HTH

DrP

Chocolate fudge brownie Frijj – just cos it’s uber tasty!

DrP

JAG

Peanut butter sandwiches with a glass of full skimmed milk 8)

leffeboy

leffe
    and anything that’s in the fridge
    then the cupboards

really should sort that out. Probably why there isn’t any weight loss involved

unklehomered
    Free Member

Just on my own on a ride – A bowl of branflakes with a banana and lots of milk, full fat as above.

With mates/away on a trip – Beer and a burger.

weeksy

mostly, anything and everything i want..

eyerideit
    Free Member

If I’m in the pub for a debrief it’s a couple of bags of nuts.

At home it’s milk and any other protein rich food I can get my hands on.

Sometimes I’ll buy one of those Nutriment milk drinks, if I’m passing a shop.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Milk

Boiled Potatoes with veg and blue cheese

Euro
    Free Member

Snickers and milk on the way home. Nothing in particular when i get home, generally washed down with a cold cider.

soma_rich
    Free Member

zilog6128

IMO it depends on how much the ride, etc took out of you, what your goals are (i.e. if weight loss is a goal then eating loads after is probably counter-productive) and whether you have another big ride/training session planned for tomorrow or not. If you don’t then just normal eating is probably sufficient.

tommyhine

if I’ve driven somewhere for a ride then I’m ashamed to say it’s generally a McDonald on the way home. 😳

atlaz
    Free Member

Depends on the circumstances. Big ride the next day and I try to eat properly (milk drink followed by some sensible food). If not, just whatever I would usually eat.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

thanks all.
    Milk seems to be a fairly consistent option. I’ll make sure I’ve got plenty in.

Duggan

Last night it was two pies and oven chips

binners

I wish I was joking. I’m not though. Chilli sauce?

Keva
    Free Member

following a seriously big ride/run/swim etc

it all depends on how I feel and what time of day it is. Sometimes it’s a full on meal, sometimes a snack from whatever is in the fridge, sometimes it’s straight to the pub for a few beers.

Last night for instance I did and hour of kickboxing followed by an hour of incredibly arduous indonesian yoga and didn’t get home ’till nearly 21:30. I’ve also cycled 10miles during the day. It’s too late to eat a full meal and I haven’t eaten properly since lunchtime, I don’t even feel hungry but know my body needs feeding and I’m pretty tired. All I can do is russell up something from bits and peices in the fridge. mixed beans, some rice, prawns, some veg and a bit of spice for flavour.

unklehomered
    Free Member

@binners

I miss those, you can’t get them in small yorkshire dales towns, one of the few downsides. 🙁

luddite
    Free Member

1% milk (it’s what’s in the fridge) n banana.

Nobby

Fried egg sandwich, on wholemeal, with green tabasco – preferably a double-yolker.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Poached eggs, in fact since THE poached egg thread I’ve been obsessed with them!

tomaso
    Free Member

Haze

Chocolate protein shake, jump in shower then usually pasta and chicken.

After an hour two I’m struggling to keep away from the biscuits and chocolate.

monkfish
    Free Member

Those pretzels are the best post ride snack ever, even beating pork scratchings.

D0NK

if Im training (which I havent done for a while) or got another ride coming up I’ll have some chocolate milk and try to have something vaguely carb/protein rich, low fat.

Normally copious tea and cake for preference

after a tues night ride I’ll have monday tea leftovers or pizza.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What's your Post-Excercise recovery food?’ is closed to new replies.