• This topic has 31 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Best combi boiler?
  • CHB

Need a new combi boiler for my 3 bed semi.
    Looking at a Worcester bosch Greenstar 27CDi.

Anyone got one?
    Anyone service them and care to comment?
    Anyone recommend a better boiler?
    Have been quoted £1700 to have old boiler removed, power flush and fit new boiler in same place, is this a fair price?

Thanks for your collective wisdom

Stoner
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seems about right and a decent choice. Get the remote thermostatic controller though.

footflaps

I think Power flush is an expensive waste of money – having replaced all the rads in my house as they were rusting, not one was blocked or had any real sludge in it. Limescale is more effectively cleared with Fernox DX-40 and that costs about £15.

footflaps

That is a monster boiler!

loddrik
    Free Member

DON’T get an Ariston. Italian engineering at it’s worst! No one told us…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Power flush is an expensive waste of money

Seriously, it’s not

having replaced all the rads in my house as they were rusting, not one was blocked or had any real sludge in it

Probably because:
    A: it was well flushed when it was installed
    B: See A as to why a Powerflush may have been a waste of money for YOU

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have got a Viessmann combi boiler, slightly cheaper than en as trying to get in to the UK market. 5 year guarantee, external temp sensor which helps the boiler work much more efficiently than others.

Make sure you have radiator valves & remote programable thermostat.

footflaps

Nope never been serviced or flushed in 15 odd years – I bought a very run down student rental. Boiler heat exchanger was a solid block of limescale….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Got one and it works fine.
    Using a heat setting of 1.5 [out of 7] for a largish 3 bed end terrace with extension and 9 rads/
    5 year guarantee if fitted by an approved bosch installer 2 years if not- parts and labour.
    Hot water from tap heats up quick
    Nothing to compare it to cost /efficiency wise as it was in the house when i got here and not had a bill.
    not that much help sorry
    Stoner that bolier you linked i rathe rclever any idea re price above a normal boiler?

andy749
    Free Member

Vaillant’s every ! time fit them all the time and defo get it power flushed.If its 10mm or 8mm pipe every rad needs taken off and flushed as you cant get get the magnatite out without doing the job properly and ask for a magna clean and PS dont get BG to do it

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Vaillant ecoTec pro 28

Ideal logic plus 30

Viessmann vitofens 200, 26 or 30kw

The worcesters are not all they’re cracked up to be and overpriced in my opinion.

CHB

We don’t currently have radiator valves (TRV’s), these will be installed at same time. Are Drayton still the best ones? Plumber has offered some cheaper ones that are the same as British Gas use.

Stoner, that boiler is insane! I think I live too close to Drax for me to have one installed…the NIMBYS would climb my garden trees and make camp with their undercover police buddies 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We were looking at getting a Greenstar 27CDi for our 3 bed semi. Ended up with a 30Cdi for slighly less (more expensive boiler but cheaper to install – or something along those grounds).

Got some quotes (BG were so far off price wise it was like they quote in a different currency or something). Got a local medium size co in the end.

Bills havent come down as much as expected from our prev 15 year old one though 🙁

Otherwise – clever, quiet, near instant hot water.

scotabroad

I got an Alpha 35KW combi over a year ago and I am very happy with it. Great modulation, runs quietly and decent hot water output. Remote controller is veru good as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

I fitted drayton TRV4 in the barn and theyve been fine so far. Theyre liquid sensor, which is preferable to wax ones.

RustyMac

I can’t comment on the capabilities for a 3 bed as myself and my girlfriend only have 1 bed places but i have a Worcester Bosh and she has an all sing all dancing BAXI, both boilers are good and do a fine job of heating our flats however hers has a seperate temperature control for the hot water which is very usefull as it helps prevent getting scalding hot water fromthe taps and her thermostat/control unit is wireless which makes it a doddle to install where ever you want it.

jordie
    Free Member

We have a 32cdi greenstar fitting over a year ago and it has been good.Our bills have dropped but our old boiler was a POS,we have the wireless thermostat and it is crap. It doesnt work downstairs and when there is no signal the boiler doesnt work.The only place it works is in the same room which is pointless as it is the hottest room in the house anyway.We was £2150 for the swap but there was a good bit of pipe swapping on the day of the install.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Btw – the WB are renowned for the overflow pipe freezing if uninsulated – make sure the fitter fits it in a position to minimise the risk.

And yes, ours froze this winter. Fortunately our engineer warned us of the problem and ours is very easily accessible.

mefty
    Free Member

Atmos Multis are very good

Bear
    Free Member

Stoner – that may just be slightly out of his budget as think they were talking 5K + for one!

Powerflushing can work but only if it is done correctly, which from my experience is not very often.

Have used more worcester than any other boiler and have repaired less than any other make, which considering I recommend them is strange?

Also do you need a combi, can you go for unvented?

CHB

Have a local bloke coming round in the morning for a quote.

Xylene
    Free Member

My plumber told me it was more efficient to run the boiler on full for the radiators and control room temp with the trv’s

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

DON’T get a ferroli, had 2 properties with those, nothing but trouble and extra £££!

Trekster

andy749/Bear, some advice pls
    I have a v-old, 20yr old Stelrad Ideal which is working fine but should really be renewed by something more efficient. I have baulked at replacing it due to mates having nothing but problems with their newer combis. My old boiler has only once broken down in all it`s days. We had problems with the initial install but a lengthened flue sorted that.
    What should I be replacing my oldie with in your experience ❓

Cheers

CHB

See theres two questions here!
    1. Who makes good/best boilers for them that is a bit focused on quality rather than price.
    2. IF installing a new boiler into an existing system what should the diligent punter expect to be done to flush the old system?

For me the old system has needed less than 5 top ups in 11 years and no leaks. I assume (but dont know) that whatever anti corrosion stuff is in there is effective. I also reckon than any sediment or crud is not circulating round my circuit on a daily basis. So what type of flush do I go for?

Bear
    Free Member

Trekster – if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

CHB

Got a Worcester Bosch 30Si
    Its lovely and quiet and powerful.

samuri
    Free Member

Aye, we have a Worcestor something or other. Cut our gas bills in half and so fast to heat water up, brilliant. It’s a condensing boiler though so if the condensing pipe runs outside it will freeze in winter and your boiler will stop working. It will stop working on the coldest week of the year and British Gas will take a week to turn up and fix it and then will just send a man round to saw through the condensing pipe. Later on once the weather warms up they will send another man round to fix the pipe….so it can freeze up again next year.

I’ve told them not to bother any more. I’ve got my own hacksaw, I can fix this issue myself.

Actually I’ve had rather a long rant at them. Obviously they ignored it, and my original complaint, and my complaint last year. If you’re getting British gas to fit it by the way, don’t. You assume they will do a good job but they won’t. They are without doubt the biggest bunch of cowboys I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, and I’m with Virgin media so I know what I’m talking about. I wouldn’t trust them to take a crap on the floor never mind sort out an effective heating system.

I’ll leave you with my last email to them…

Previous reference 1-xxxxxxxxxxx I raised this complaint on 4th January. I then heard nothing until the 20th January.
    Then I recieved a number of messages asking me to contact the complaints centre which I did and was told an engineer had been assigned to my complaint. He would be in touch shortly, I was told.

Do you think anyone has been in touch since? Of course they haven’t. Do you think I could get through to you after waiting in a call queue for twenty minutes this morning? Of course not. Why? because you provide the worst customer service I have ever encountered. You provide a fundamentally flawed installation at great expense to myself, you send cowboys out to fix it when it breaks (after 3 days waiting and that was only because I kept pestering you) who just saw through pipes with hacksaws to get it working and then you completely botch up any attempt to resolve the matter permanently. You should be completely ashamed of yourselves.
    Obviously this complaint will be a waste of time just like the original one was. Don’t worry though, I’m not expecting you to do anything about this or the previous call so don’t bother. I’m not interested in being messed about any more. Close the original call and throw this one in the bin, if you haven’t already.

Obviously I don’t expect any response to this but I do like the fact that they are obliged under regulations to attempt to get in touch merely so I can tell them to stick it up their arse.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Bosch 30Si

What – are you mad? After all we told you? We said a 30cDi.FFS D. Ceee Deeee Iiiiii.

D as in D.
    What’s hard about D.

How daft are you to mix up D with S? FFS

Seriously – well done. It’s a big dolp of cash but hopefully folk will stop posting “what boiler” threads and use the search function. Just like I didn’t years back. And got pointed in the right direction.

So whats the difference between a DI and an SI? Do I have to tear the house down and start again?

4ndyB
    Free Member

A Worcester Bosch ZWB 7-27 HE Combi boiler has just been unceremoniously removed from my house, utter pile of crap, new PCB last year ~£300, needed a new pump this year £250 for the part alone as no other normal pump will work with the damn thing, noisy, large, parts are a rip off, utter garbage.

I cut my losses and have a new Logic+24 boiler (small house, no bath) so far so good it’s smaller, quieter, the fella who installed it has installed lots of them and had no issues at all with them (he’s been out family plumber for years, so well trusted), got a programmable thermostat so I can drop the room temp over night and whilst at work, it’s a very good bit of kit.

CHB

I think the difference between CDi and Si is like XTR vs XT. Very similar performance in the real world, but manufacturers always have a “halo” product. The 30Si was on offer at my plumbers merchants.
    We got the 30Si, flushed all radiators with “stuff”, fitted TRVs all round and a Danfoss wireless stat for £1750. Big chunk of cash but the lads did a good job. It took 3 of them the full day to do it.
    Some other local place (British Gas subcontractors) reckoned two of them could do the job in 4-5 hours, they were £100 cheaper but did not fill me with confidence. Anyone in Leeds area needing this then drop me an email.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Best combi boiler?’ is closed to new replies.