Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best bet for cheap 100mm forks?
  • Seb_C
    Free Member

My girlfriend's Rockhopper currently has some Manitou Axle Elite forks on it which are just incredibly awful, and she wants something better. The best deal i've spotted are the Rockshox Tora solo airs on Merlin for about £100 (here). Is this my best bet? She wants some Fox (because she likes animals – seriously) – but I don't fancy paying Fox money unless I find something super cheap second hand.

Thanks,

Seb

foxyrider
    Free Member

Selling my Fox 2007 RL 120's (dropped to 100mm) soon but want prob £200 + P&P 🙂 Mint(ish) condition and long steerer 🙂

wwaswas

If you can cope with a 165mm steerer I may be able to help with Fox – email in profile.

RealMan
    Free Member

Tora is Japanese for tiger. Apparently.

warpcow
    Free Member

You know those forks in the link are 130mm, right? I wouldn't personally. they have 'turnkey' damping which is rubbish (probably similar to the Manitou). Spend a little more on an RS fork with 'motion control' damping instead. You're probably looking at about £150-200 for a new Tora with it.

2nd-hand might be a good option if you know what you're looking for. You could probably get a Reba or maybe even an older Fox for £200.

EDIT: piskic 😀

slackman99
    Free Member

Toras are heavyish but surprisingly good forks. I had 318 air forks for quite a while and they were well damped and pretty stiff. Add to the fact that they worked flawlessly with zero maintenance (only died when I tried to maintain them and ruined the seals to the damper side of things).

Same forks as Recons, only with steel stantions rather than ano ali ones.

Tiger6791

Toras are okay forks, had a set and was pleased.

Get them and put some pink fluffy stickers of kittens on them

R2
    Free Member

New Manitou Drakes are a great value fork for £250. Damping issues are well sorted have rebound & compression to lockout in 80-100-130mm versions.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another set of Fox's for sale here – F100 X Terralogic on a well-known auction site at the mo' 😉 – lovely forks – only selling as the 168mm steerer is too short for my new build 😥

Seb_C
    Free Member

I won't be buying new Manitous. I've ridden several pairs over a number of years and never been impressed, so I just don't trust them.

I do realise those in the link are 130mm but they can be spacered down.

I'll have to measure the steerer on the current forks, but I don't think it's particularly short.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best bet for cheap 100mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.