Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best approx a grand cyclocross bikes
  • samuri
    Free Member

Recommendations appreciated.

This to me is probably my upper limit (with different wheels)
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kona-jake-the-item165453.html#info

As always with me, it needs to be ultra tough, ultra durable. Wheels that don’t have 32 spokes in will not last very long.

fontmoss
    Free Member

needs gears? if not then cross check with handbuilt wheels?

crikey
    Free Member

Cube XC Comp.

Comes with Easton wheels which, tbh, I trashed reasonably quickly. I’ve not destroyed them, but the front is built radially so went out of true quickly; I had it re-done 2 cross and it was much better. The rear has been ok, but I opted for stronger wheels for the 3 peaks.

The rest of it has been rock solid.

Edit: the tyres are great for grassy, muddy rides, but will wear quick for any gritty, gravelly roady style use; I’ve got some harder wearing stuff on there now.

Another Edit: You seem to be quite local to me, I’m going off the son at Eastlands near Ashton-U-Lyne thread. Shout if you want to borrow it.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

i was looking on crc and they have a scott cross frame and forks for £99 pair that up with tiagra/105 mix from ribble/crc/merlin and planet x wheels and finish kit and it could be well under a £1000 and lightish but just an idea though

Ed2001
    Free Member

Cannondale cx9 or ridley xbow both can be got for around £1000 mark. Both are excellent frames which will benefit from upgrades as you go along. The boardman is pretty good too. They are both popular choices and you will see plenty of them at races particularly ridleys

samuri
    Free Member

Many thanks guys, will work through those little.
    Not though about building one up, that’s an idea, Ta.

Crikey, thanks for the offer, I live over near Wigan though….

samuri
    Free Member

I saw that one Jase, I’m concerned it’ll be too small for me.

halington
    Free Member

Dolan multicross? Seen a few at races and look nice.

Houns

Boardman

crazy-legs

Evans have some pretty reasonable deals at the moment on last seasons CX bikes. Specialized CruX, Fuji Cross 2 both worth a look.

Scott’s 2012 bikes look really nice but the cheapest is £1100.

peteimpreza

All the Scott frames have gone. 😥

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve got a colleague who lives in Tyledesly (sp?) so it wouldn’t be too much hassle to arrange, or I could meet you down at Eastlands one Sunday and you can ride my bike if you bring something for me to play along on?

crazy-legs

I’ve got a colleague who lives in Tyledesly (sp?) so it wouldn’t be too much hassle to arrange, or I could meet you down at Eastlands one Sunday and you can ride my bike if you bring something for me to play along on?

crikey, you’ve not met samuri have you? No sane person would ever lend samuri a bike, at least not if they wanted it back in working order…

😉

crikey
    Free Member

Um, see the trashed wheels thing up there? That was me, that was, trying a rutted descent on a cross bike after a 15 year gap…

peteimpreza
    DavidB
    Free Member

I was considering Boardman until I looked at one today and the gear cable routing goes under the downtube. So I can see it totally clagging eventually. Back to the drawing board, got to get a CX bike bought before Samuri.

wwaswas

Downtube routing is fine. It’s bare cable so no problem.

Have a look at Kinesis complete bikes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best approx a grand cyclocross bikes’ is closed to new replies.