Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Best 2.3 Front Tyre?
  • thwapy
    Free Member

Having just bought a Hoops AM4 Wheel, I want to stick a new tyre on the front. What do people run as a good all rounder, a tyre that will run tubeless but maybe not UST? Cheers

uplink
    Free Member

High Roller is the stock answer

thwapy
    Free Member

Worth going for the LUST version for tubeless?…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thwapy
    Free Member

Oh and single or dual ply? Compound 60a? Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

I use the single ply 60a folding version with both stan's & ghetto tubeless

No problems at all

juan
    Free Member

high roller super tacky LUST

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Got a 2.3 eskar on the front run tubeless with flow rims…quite like it so far, although havent had a massive amount of time on it.

lunge

High Roller, single ply, kevlar bead, 42a for more grip, 60a for more durability.

Although, I am tempted to try a Minion in the same flavour as above.

uplink
    Free Member

High Roller, single ply, kevlar bead, 42a for more grip

& where would you find that beast?

votchy
    Free Member

I use a Kenda Blue Groove DTC as I didn't get on with High Rollers (apparently because I am a cr4p rider) used the same tyre since september last year, good in dry, wet, rocks, mud – standard tyre run tubeless on stans flow, quite a monster of a tyre, comes up much wider than the same size high roller.

titusrider
    Free Member

further to votchy's comment I would hazard the suggestion that it depends how you ride. If you really lean the bike through corners you should love the HR if you keep your bike a bit more upright you wont find the side knobs and you will hate it.
    IMHO

BigJohn

I am enjoying my Bonty XR4 Team Issues. Grippy when you need it, fast rolling when you want it.

retro83
    Free Member

uplink – Member High Roller, single ply, kevlar bead, 42a for more grip

& where would you find that beast?

is this it:

26 x 2.35 – Super Tacky 42a
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5845

lunge

Yep, that is the one. Good tyre that

uplink
    Free Member

is this it:

no – that's a wire bead I believe

hughjengin
    Free Member

On my 140mm trail bike I like my Single ply minion front marginally more over the equivalent high roller, it seems to suit my mincing style better, I have a 60a 2.35 High roller on the back for what its worth 😀

If you really lean the bike through corners you should love the HR if you keep your bike a bit more upright you wont find the side knobs and you will hate it.

Maybe thats the reason for me that I like the Minion, I am definately a more upright point and squirt type rider rather than a flowy rolling speedway stylee type, although I am working at it

InATrance
    Free Member

Eskar is very good – like a high roller lite
    Bonty Jones acx 2.3 tlr if you can find one

poppa
    Free Member

What size 2.3? 😉

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have all of the above on bikes here!
    HR ace for grip (especially in 42a) and downwards duties, bit draggy else where (on my gnarl bike),
    Blue Groves come up bigger, nice compromise, on sprog James XC/trail bike but his xc/trail is my full on gnarl!! 🙁
    ACX similar (had these on my everyday bike, now on wifes)- touch smaller and harder (more durable but less grippy),
    Eskars very good compromise again come up bigger, seem to be durable, reasonable grip, fast – i have these on my every day bike all year round

carbon337
    Free Member

advatage 2.25 is a nice tyre large volume.

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Another vote for the Advantage here. Actually feels more planted and secure when pushing it into corners than the High Roller I've got on my other bike. Both 60a compound. 2.25 Advantage is also much wider than a 2.35 High Roller for some reason so don't be put off by the sizing.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Eskars all the way

convert

Just put an advantage 2.25 on the back and got rid of the HR, but left an HR on the front. Advantage 2.25 is nearly as big as a HR 2.35 but seems to roll a bit faster on the back at least. I might experiment with putting one on the front at some point. I'm guessing, but I think a pair of Advantages will be quicker but marginally less impressive around the corners than a pair of HRs, so probably a good bet for most trail riders out there.

A Crossmark rear and Advantage front, both in 2.25, could make good fast setup with an Advantage rear and HR front as a slightly more Gnar change up.

nosedive
    Free Member

the much overlooked Bontrager Big Earl 2.3 (wet compound for the front). I found it more predictable than a high roller and more outright grip than the Eskar. Not too heavy either

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tioga Dh's, only choice in my eyes

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slight hijack but I've just noticed there's now a 2.25 USt Ardent. Anyone tried it yet?

glenh
    Free Member

Eskar 2.3 with 2bliss tubeless bead.

Your choice of sidewall strength (/weight), weedy, medium and tough.

thwapy
    Free Member

So really it's between advantage 2.25 and roller 3.35. I'm thinking the advantage might get my vote, worth a try and I can always stick it on the back if it's not doing it for me…

Do I need to bother with LUST for tubeless?

toons
    Free Member

I've found the Maxxis Minion DHR, doesn't wash out as much, as the DHF.

For wet rocks & Roots go Super tacky

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've tried the Maxxis exception and the Maxxis LUST in the Advantage, both tubeless and it's certainly worth getting the LUST in my humble opinion.

glenp
    Free Member

Big fan of Specialzed tyres. Got a Purgatory on the front at the mo, and will soon swap that to the rear and get an Eskar on the front.

They have very sure-footed grip, roll reasonably, good weight, tubeless friendly and you can get them for about twenty quid. What's not to like? Some people say they cut easily, but its not rocky here so not a problem.

Paceman
    Free Member

High Roller 2.35 Maxxpro

thv3
    Free Member

Minion Single ply kevlar bead, Super Tacky for grip, Maxpro for speed.

Haven't taken the minion off now for over a year as it just works!

thwapy
    Free Member

Went for the Advantage in the end, looks like it might roll a tad faster and is more all year round. Thanks for all the advice…. Now to try this tubeless lark!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Best 2.3 Front Tyre?’ is closed to new replies.