Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Benefit fraud – what would Jesus do?
  • el_boufador

Right,
    On our doorstep this morning arrived a parcel for my wife. This contained several letters from her sister’s boyfriend (they both live together in spain)

Some are addressed to the job centre and some to the student’s loan company.

A note within says ‘please can you pop these in the post for me?’.

So far so good.

However, we are aware that they have previously claimed benefits which they are not entitled to in the past.

The fact that the BF has asked for us to forward the mail (rather than just sending it straight from spain) looks like a ploy to avoid benefit fraud claim detection to us.

I suggested dobbing them in to the benefits fraud people but this didn’t go down too well wi’ the missus as it involves her sis who she is very close to.

I’ll throw into the mix that the wife’s sis has had (seriously) just about the worst last 12 months you could imagine.

What would you do?

Jesus has nothing to do with this, BTW

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Jesus has nothing to do with this, BTW

Well I would only do what Jesus would do, ie, I would refuse to forward their mail, tell them that you don’t approve of what they are doing (if you’re sure that they’re on a fiddle) But I wouldn’t shop them to the authorities – it’s her sister ffs**

**Jesus wouldn’t have said that btw.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

WWJD?

hung around with his mates all day, went to parties and had religious visions. I think Jesus was fiddling benefits too and spending the money on drink and drugs.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I think Jesus was fiddling benefits …..

Mmm yeah,….. the Roman ‘Nanny State’

You been reading the Judean Daily Mail ?

zaskar
    Free Member

What would you want people to do if it was you?

It’s wrong to steal benefits but it’s your other halfs sister going through a bad time.

Make a choice then find out.

Sandwich

Send the letters back and tell him to post them himself. YOu don’t want to be and accessory. 🙄

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Just post the letters. If they are committing fraud, they will be found out, and it won’t be because of postmarks from the uk.
    Incidently these two were found after fraud investigators saw a blog.

I would have a conversation with your wife about people defrauding the benefit system go to prison. It don’t matter how rough your sister-in laws year has been, because if she goes to prison it will get a whole lot worse.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Send the letters back and tell him to post them himself. YOu don’t want to be and accessory.

And{sic} accessory to what rumpole? 😆

Sandwich

Twere early your honour, I plead the courts indulgence 😳

Soup
    Free Member

Broken Britain. Refuse to have anything to do with it. If they are claiming benefits illegally everyone on this forum is paying for them to live in Spain. Struggling to pay my own bills at the moment and working 2 jobs to make ends meet. I think by the tone and question in your post you already know what you should do. Its a question of whether you listen to your heart or your head. Been in a similar situation myself and decided to have nothing to do with it.

andywhit
    Free Member

Getting the state to fund a lifestyle in Spain, sounds like a nice gig.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Do they know you have the letter in hand?
    If not, say ‘what post? we’ve not had any’, open ’em* you can then establish the truth of the situation and decide what to do from there….

*Jesus is all seeing so he need not actually open post, ‘fraid we mere mortals have to use a letter knife…
    Opening mail not a nice thing to do?? What about suspected benefit fraud…….??

Farmer_John
    Free Member

why not just chuck the parcel in the bin and leave them to conclude it got lost in transit?

andywhit
    Free Member

Tell them you sent the job centre letters on in a new envelope with a covering letter giving their new address. Being helpful like.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I would have a conversation with your wife about people defrauding the benefit system go to prison. It don’t matter how rough your sister-in laws year has been, because if she goes to prison it will get a whole lot worse.[/quote]

LOL There are muggers, rapists and peads walking the streets and you honestly think they have the room to put someone who has claimed £50 a week job seekers allowance and told a few porkies in prison!

I would jus tell the BF that you are not going to get mixed up in any scam he has going. I would make pretty dam sure you know he is up to no good though before you tell him the odds. If you get your wires crossed and it turns out to be innocent, it will cause a real rift between you all. Forget about grassing on them though as this will do little to anyone. It would for sure make you feel bad and your wife would not give you any nookie, her sister will fall out with you all blah di blah.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would have nothing to do with it and I would tell them why

z1ppy

what would Jesus do?

He’s kick out the money lenders, that are pretenting to be our government!
    😈

Send the fricken letters, then talk to them explaing you want no more sent to you, for the reasons as per S_E666 post

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Soup – Member
    Broken Britain. If they are claiming benefits illegally everyone on this forum is paying for them to live in Spain. Struggling to pay my own bills at the moment and working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

How do you work out that ” everyone on this forum is paying for them ” ? It would appear that a fair few on here don’t have any work at all.

And how come during these difficult times when jobs are hard to find, there’s always a greedy selfish bashtard who has to have two jobs ?

BTW seth-enslow666, sorry to challenge your rosy picture of the type of society which we live in, but we throw people in prison for lesser things than benefit fiddling – Google to see how many women we lock up for not paying their TV license.

How else do you think we have managed to build up the second largest prison population in Western Europe ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Second what TJ says. Couldn’t agree more.

I have a mate who’s dad lives in Spain but is claiming disability benefit from the UK. Funnily enough, every few months, the dad appears home for a week or so, having tended his orange and olive groves (for which the EU pay him a subsidy….oh believe me, the list is endless) to do the visits he needs to do for the money to continue to roll in.

I know there are worse cases but benefit fraud does really knob me off – it’s so bloody blatant and it is directly defrauding you and me out of our NI payments. I know there are worse criminals out there (there’s always someone with a bigger cigar though isn’t there?) but it’s just the greed and laziness of some people – makes me feel all right wing. And makes it more difficult for all the just cases to receive the support they deserve. Try being an unpaid carer and then see how you’ll feel about benefit frauds.

uplink
    Free Member

As others have said – simply have nothing to do with it

As much as I dislike people getting more than their share out of the system – I don’t think there’s a great moral leap between claiming a benefit that the law doesn’t allow & tax evasion/avoidance.
    Avoidance may well be a legal instrument to avoid paying your share but it doesn’t make it right to manipulate the system to do so.

I won’t even start on MPs claiming expenses that are either downright against the rules or a smoke & mirrors job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Benefit fraud – what would Jesus do?’ is closed to new replies.