Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Bench Vice?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a small shed/workshop mainly biking jobs/DIY?

Thanks

singlespeedstu

A 3" or 4" engineers vice should do you for most stuff.

Try Bob Richardsons on Pedmore road.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Brill – I was trying to visualise a general 'tools' suppliers in Lye area. I don't think they should be major money – £40 should do it I think

From what I've found of you go much bigger the jaw grip action tends to get sloppy

neilb67
    Free Member

+1 for Richardsons

jd-boy
    Free Member

You just need to purchase a good quality Record vice, I have a 20 year old 4 inch one thats been in all my Vans and 7 cars and still going strong, its worth paying the money out for a good vice

bonesetter
    Free Member

How about this one

neilb67
    Free Member

Have to agree with a Record vices but have noticed that their new vices aren't a patch on their old ones. Have a look on Ebay for an old secondhand one.

bonesetter
    Free Member

**** me – B&Q do them for £30!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Eh nige, get the biggest baddest vice you can find. Those piddly things don't last long and a big one can pop head sets in. Your only a real man if you've got 6" jaws and 10" spread.

TheSwede
    Free Member

+1 for the old records over the new.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I like where you're coming from – what is that model you've pictured?

singlespeedstu

I did hear you had a 10" spread. 😯

TheSwede
    Free Member

Just a random pic of a yankee site. Will have a look for you though. Stu,X

matthew_h
    Free Member

Blimey, they're not cheap those big Record vices are they:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?MAN=Record-No36-Engineers-Vice-6in&PID=8107

coatesy
    Free Member

Not cheap, no, but they tend not to crack in two when removing stubborn BBs as a certain well known brand beginning with a C did.

TheSwede
    Free Member
    Dibbs
    Free Member

I've got one of those 112 Records (I liberated it from my last place of work, more than 25 years ago), it comes in very handy when you really need to hit something 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here you go nige. Ignore the paint that the idiot has slapped all over it and it need picking up but its an awesome bit of kit. Last a life time.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Record-5-engineers-vice_W0QQitemZ260519700656QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ca82f28b0

Thanks for the search, but it's in Scotland!

Could pick it up and do Glentress at the same time

TheSwede
    Free Member

jeeze shall I fetch it for you too 🙂 You wouldn't want to land on it in your camel back though.

trout
    Free Member

Lots of tools including Vices Here

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I've got one of those B&Q small vices. reallynice bit of kit (think I paid £20 for it).

The metal jaws (serrated) are screwed on and do come loose if not threadlocked, but not a problem once its tightened up.

It has been very good so far (1.5yrs ish) with regular use. There have been a couple of jobs where it was just too small to do the job.

Just bear in mind a big vice will need a big strong bench, but it;s a good excuse for some serious 'man cave' building :-D.

ackie
    Free Member

Picked one up for £12 from Lidl last year.
    Heavy, tight and greasy.

stucol
    Free Member

I have one of the rotating Lidl ones in the hut. Its ok i guess for general stuff.

But in the garage i have my dads No47 Record quick release vice. Over 40 years old, works perfectly.

Weighs rather a lot and the bench is bolted to the wall after a previous bench tried to land on me.

Get an old one, it will be usefull for your grandson.

An old second hand Record vice will outlast a new one.
    Get one with the little anvil bit on the back if you can.
    And you don't realise how useful a swivel vice is until you go back to using a fixed one.

ononeorange

Top thread, but for how long has Flintshire been in Scotland?!

Andy-R

Make sure that it's a cast steel one and not cast iron, and a quick release makes life a bit easier too.

scruff
    Free Member

I have a B&Q one, the handle bent. I replaced the metal bits on the jaws with a cut-up hardwood chopping board.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

just inherited a record one from my father in law, needs a good clean up but i feel complete now i own one.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Dam you nige. Since you started this I've been dying to get in the garage and give my old record a clean, grease and maybe even a lick of paint.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i got a record in BnQ… tis a bit small tho. a 10" spread does sound mighty fine…

bonesetter
    Free Member

I'm stunned at the responses 😆

I just have to get a big Record, or I just wont be complete

tinsy
    Free Member

The Record is def the one to go for, and go for 1 up size wise on what you need cos one day it will be handy..

TheSwede – Member
    Dam you nige. Since you started this I've been dying to get in the garage and give my old record a clean, grease and maybe even a lick of paint.

My dad painted his 40 plus year old vice up the other day, what its like to have life so in order painting your vice makes it onto your must do list??? 😀 I still cant find the time to bolt mine to my bench let alone re paint it!!!

TheSwede
    Free Member

I think I may have over exaggerated the girth of my beast a little. Not sure on its exact specifications but it fits a large yeti 575 head tube and an unpressed headset in its jaws which is prob about 8". will have to check its model number. Hhm big vice ownership. Nothing like it.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Just get down to your local Car boot sale, I always see an old vice when I go, I am sure you can get a decent old vice for very little money. If its lasted 50 years already it definatly will last another.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Check this baby I just picked up, opens to 6 1/2" – it's been welded and repaired. The ebay seller didn't list this minor detail in his listing 👿

After driving 10 miles to his house, decided to take a chance with £20, thinking it's broken and repaired a bit like me…

singlespeedstu

I'd beef your bench up a bit before you bolt that to it…

bonesetter
    Free Member

You're right – it is really a bit too big

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I went through a vice phase and bought every one I found at auction in Orkney. I have a crazy collection of them. My favorite is a Record 75 on a swivel base with offset jaws. Like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Record-75-Engineers-Vice/150406130182

It came from a school who were 'upgrading' their metalworking workshops. One of their teachers was in the Vintage Car Club up in Orkney and was selling them at £25 ago. Whoever procured them must have had deep pockets.

singlespeedstu

A vicewhore.

Only on STW. 😆 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oooh, that 25 swivel looks nice – is yours red too?

So much money aren't they?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Bench Vice?’ is closed to new replies.