• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ben MacDui question
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Could anyone who's been in the Cairngorms area recently let me know how much snow is likely to be on Ben Macdui at the moment (or even on top of Cairngorm)?

One of the girls in our office was planning a visit there at the weekend with her friends however I reckon they don't realise just how much snow there is likely to be and it doesn't sound like they have ice-axes or much winter hillwalking experience.

bruneep

well there is still skiing on cairngorms

eckinspain
    Free Member

More importantly – do they know it's haunted?

geoffj

Web cam pictures at the bottom of the page here – http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

I was up there on Sunday. There is still quite a bit on Cairngorm, where it's been compacted and groomed. Looking up the Lairig Ghru, Benmacdui didn't seem to have much. Twas bloody cold though, even down at the relatively low level of Loch Morlich.

epicsteve
    Free Member

More importantly – do they know it's haunted?

I've already mentioned the Big Grey Man and also told them about the Ainslie Park tragedy.

notlocal
    Free Member

:lol:It's ok. We have a really good MRT here in Braemar, and they love nothing more than rescueing inexperienced young ladies. 😆

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The plateau is still covered in snow. Although there will be a few rocks poking through here and there, the best way to Ben Macdhui from CGM is on ski.

AJ
    Free Member

There is still upto 5 metres of snow in place most of the plateau is still covered, it's still FULL winter conditions! ice axe and crampons are a must. We had snow at glen level this week and it was lying down to about 500 metres.

It would be a serious undertaking for an unexperienced winter mountaineer.

Sounds Dramatic i know but it's real up there.

nbt

We skiied Cairngorm on Mayday weekend (skiied down Coire na Ciste on the Sunday after the lifts shut). I reckon they'll be skiing there into June: it snowed this week, and it's forecast to snow again over the weekend

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ben MacDui question’ is closed to new replies.