Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Beers that used to be good . . .
  • crush83
    Free Member

just jumping on the bandwaggon!

Budwiser

bruneep

Kestrel
    Skol

Were all good when I were a lad.

IHN

Boddingtons

John Smiths

Tetleys

Stones

Worthingtons

richmtb

Budweiser was never good.

Unless you mean the Czech version, that’s still pretty good.

Or unless you mean it was good when you were 18 and didn’t know any better

Interestingly 50% of all beer sold in the US is made by Annhauser Busch, which just show Americans have shit taste in beer.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

But did they change or just go out of fashion?

crush83
    Free Member

Boddingtons

Mmmmm Boddys

IHN

But did they change or just go out of fashion?

The one’s I listed changed, i.e. went to that smoothflow abomination.

Proper Boddies was, just, lovely.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Caffreys.

It seemed to disappear off the market for a while and then was re-introduced as a weaker version.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Guinness before they pasteurised it, different drink , not as good– keeps lots longer…..( bottled beer in case you didn’t twig)

lasty
    Free Member

^^^ +1 for Caffreys – used to be the one i looked for when i went into a pub but sadly now a shadow of its former self …

patriotpro
    Free Member

Beers or lagers?

I’ll go with lager and say:

Stella Artois

Mantastic
    Free Member

Skona lager was ace

How could I forget Newquay steam beer or lager

grievoustim
    Free Member

given a choice of boring lager to choose between (stella, kroneburg, heineken etc etc) I would go for an american budweiser every time though

When served cold out of a bottle, its fizzy blandness can be very refreshing.

Whereas stella etc just taste rank to me now

I’m officially an old man now though as I tend to limit my drinking to pubs with decent ale on tap

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Redstripe..

chvck
    Free Member

I like red stripe still! It isn’t always the beer changing, as you age your taste buds do die etc…

bokonon
    Free Member

Everything that Greene King have bought over the years has gone pretty badly (the list is pretty long) and the beers that Marstons have bought have not fared much better (the list is also pretty long).

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Elephant beer. 🙄

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Penrhos Porter

allthepies
    Free Member

Abbot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Old Speckled Hen.

For some reason, unbeknown to me, it’s lost a lot of its flavour and for some reason gotten a lot stronger..

lazybike
    Free Member

Double Diamond.

Mackesons…

ojom
    Free Member

Guiness Enigma

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Every beer is good.
    Beer is great.
    The end.

singletrackmind

Badger Beers
    Ind Coop Burton Ale
    Caffreys
    Ruddles County
    K + B Festiver
    Gales pre Fullers t/o

white101

was having a chat with a mate a few weeks back over beer strengths, and he pointed out that a lot of beers these days are weaker (abv wise) on draught than they are in cans/bottles etc.
    I was talking about how strongbow was to strong a session drink for me and had to resort to woodpecker (at this point I should mention I cant really stand cider but due to gluten issues can no longer drink real beer 😥 ) he said that it might be 5% in a can but in the pub its 4.5%, same for stella and John Smiths (which for me was always p!$$ in a glass or can) and many others.

EDIT: if ciderinsport should pop in, no offence mate!

grievoustim
    Free Member

bokonon – Member
    Everything that Greene King have bought over the years has gone pretty badly (the list is pretty long) and the beers that Marstons have bought have not fared much better (the list is also pretty long).
    POSTED 28 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

bikebouy – Member
    Old Speckled Hen.
    For some reason, unbeknown to me, it’s lost a lot of its flavour and for some reason gotten a lot stronger..

Hen is one of the beers now made by Greene King. I grew up in moorland country, but can’t really comment on the changing character of old speckled hen as I was too busy making myself vomit drinking Stella at the time

bokonon
    Free Member

It is normal for beers to be stronger in bottles/cans than on draught, this is due to the time it takes to mature stronger beers – in order to keep them running as quickly as possible between the brewer and the drinker, they need to mature ASAP, with the off trade, the supply lines are longer, and as such there is more time to mature, hence the same (or something like it) taste is attained with a higher ABV.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Breaker – started selling it in my local off licence. Haven’t seen it for years

ThePinkster

Ansells Mild. Not drunk ti for years but a good, well cared for barrel of that used to be like nectar.

Anyone else used to drink Colt 45? As soon as I hear that name mentioned I always get the ad jingle going round my head.

Every Tom, Jack or Walt,
    who likes the taste of malt
    Will like the malt in a Colt 45!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Schlitz.

porlus
    Free Member

Might be controversial, mines Hobgoblin. Used to love it years ago. But find it a bit meh now.

smokey_jo

Another vote for Ind Coope DBA and Bass bitter on draught used to be much better.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I like red stripe still! It isn’t always the beer changing, as you age your taste buds do die etc…

Nah it tastes like pish nowadays..

mattstreet

Gillespies Stout

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Watneys Red Barrel

duckman

Getting away from real ale which will always be ace, a lot of the lagers listed are now brewed under licence in the UK,which kind of makes them generic. Red Stripe being a good example of that,and Stella for that matter.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Old Peculier is no longer what it used to be. Still, I have the recipe…

sp
    Free Member

IRC, cask Old Speckled Hen was reduced in strength (5.2 down to 4.2) to appeal to the younger drinker. FFS how to screw up a ale, should have been branded Old Speckled Hen Light

bratty

Is there also a connection between the old days when a lot of real ale was only to be found on tap (where properly served and stored it would be great), and now where a lot are to be found in the supermarket in bottles?

And it is true about UK-brewed lager. The generic ones are generally pale imitations of their continental versions.

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

A lot of drinks have reduced their alcohol levels. Strongbow cans used to be 5.3% and are now 5%, the diffference in taste is so noticeable I no longer drink it. Stella and Carlsberg Export have also been reduced recently. Scrumpy Jack is my tipple of choice, 6.3% of angry apples.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Beers that used to be good . . .’ is closed to new replies.