Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Beeping smoke detector
  • nimrod2410
    Free Member

The smoke detectors in our house were fitted FOC by the kind local brigade about 3years ago.

One of them every morning beeps for about an hour then shuts up for the rest of the day

You cant change the batteries in these ones and I assume it is telling me its knackered, but I wish it wouldn't do it a 6am in the morning.
    Anyone come across this before?

And no the house is not on fire before the clever comments start…………

eckinspain
    Free Member

why can't you change the batteries?

alpin
    Free Member

remove it and fit a new one?

cp

i think a lot of the freebie ones have a weird hard wired cell so aren't replaceable. Get a new one with a replaceable battery and mount in the same place as the old one – fb will have put it in a sensible place.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

GET OUT QUICK……….. YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Jamie
    Free Member

Funnily enough this started happening to ours saturday, and by even bigger coincidence i read this story in the paper yesterday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/31/lives-risk-smoke-detectors-firefighters

avdave2

Remember to hoover your detectors occasionally as well as check the batteries and use both optical and ionising types as each is better at detecting either fast burning fires or smouldering ones.

wwaswas

What Jamie linmked to. Hardwired battery – ask them to come and fit a new one.

Olly
    Free Member

dying battery.

unless its a fancy interlinked system like they have to put in RMOs
    they beep when one of the alarms is "lost" by the wireless network they are on.

but it wont be one of those if its just a home.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some alarms have to have a specific battery (honestly) our kept going off even when I put in Ever Ready Energiser 9vs. When I put in the recommended Duracell ones it has been faultless.

Quite odd.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Jamie.
    Thanks.

The Guardian article sums up exactly whats happening to my alarm.
    Think It's going in the bin, shame as having detectors that dont require having to change the batteries for 10 years works in my book.

l45key
    Free Member

Ring Fire service back up, they will come and replace it free of charge.

We've had a bad batch of 10 yr detectors that only last about 5 before they need replacing.

We don't mind doing it, honestly!

nimrod2410
    Free Member

145key

Cheers, will give it a go.

zokes
    Free Member

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Quick email to Fire & Rescue and a replacement is being fitted.

Now that's good service.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

You may find it just needs a hoover out as that's what Dicon have found with many that my brigade has returned.
    Any doubt though get a new one fitted. Glad they're sorting it out.
    We love fitting those things……

firestarter
    Free Member

thats cos it gets in the way of your snooker comp barney 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

This is FASCINATING as my neighbours *mains wired* one keeps going off at 3AM, she just gave me a key to her house as it was waking everyone up when she wasn't there, we have found poking it with a broom stops it for 24 hours!

wwaswas

"we have found poking it with a broom stops it for 24 hours!"

go in at 9pm and give it a poke and get a good nights sleep?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Absolutely not Mick, how very dare you! I'm far too busy playing darts, watching TV and sleeping to play snooker… 😉 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

go in at 9pm and give it a poke and get a good nights sleep?

It seems to be a reactive/timed thing only I'm afraid, I gave it a good poking earlier in the night to see if I could anger it. It didn't rise to the occasion, but caught me out again later.

firestarter
    Free Member

lol barney 🙂 im sick of goin round changing our five year old ones did loads over the cold spell. Buy cheap buy twice 🙂 only good thing our new boss makes us do pt twice a day 🙂 happy days lol

coffeeking
    Free Member

The sensible buy would be mains wired ones. Until they go faulty and you realise there's no switch…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Beeping smoke detector’ is closed to new replies.