Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bedgebury forest anyone…?
  • discapade
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about it, is anyone riding there Sunday morning? Can a few of us tag along? There’s nothing worse than going somewhere and not knowing the good routes….

woodsman
    Free Member

Wow where did you hear good things about Bedgebury? It’s all waymarked and there is only one route, the rest being out of bounds so to speak. Great for young families, there I’ve said something good about the place. 😉

Give it a try you might see it differently to me.

rewski
    Free Member

It’s pretty flat and it’ll very muddy. I’d head for South Downs or Friston Forest if you’re in that area.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

To be fair, the “red” route is quite a fun loop in the dry, but it is a sludge fest in the wet. The worst climb is the one out of the car-park at the start, which is also the start of the family trail! The rest of it is tight and rooty in places with a few short, sharp climbs but not very technical.

The rest of the forest is not “off limits” – there’s a lot of bridleway and other singletrack, but you ideally need a local guide as it’s easy to get lost away from the waymarked routes. I speak from experience 😳

It’s OK for this part of the world but obviously not on a par with trail centres elsewhere due to the limitations of the terrain. I’d agree that there are probably better natural options in the area.

stayhigh

This time of year it will be a swamp due to the poor drainage there. Its not best trail centre in the world but can be fun there, I guess it depends on what your after. The parking is rudely expensive, IIRC its £7.50 😯

Check out SKETCHY for riding in the southeast area 😉

hoberinos
    Free Member

This time of year it will be a swamp due to the poor drainage

plus 1

Tom83

I can confirm it’s a sludgefest at the moment! It’s fun in the dry with some fast rolling tyres, i usually link up from my village via bewl water then on to bedgebury, nothing really challenging but about 30ish miles all in.

I’m going Sunday afternoon, but just for laps of the blue route with my mate for some fitness miles and a chat really.

discapade
    Free Member

Ok chaps thanks to all for that… May swerve until our beautiful, dry summer…!

Tom83

If you do, go early in the morning, or late evening. You’ll miss all the families stopping for a picnic smack bang in the middle of the trail at the fastest parts!

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Some rather harsh comments above!

It does have drainage issues in places, but the team down there have improved it greatly over the past 18mnths and there are jet washes on site to clean bikes and showers for riders….. Its winter people you gonna get muddy!

The singtrack route is a good laugh, not massivley technical but ridden at speed can be quite a challenge, there are no huge hills but a couple of steepish ups and downs to keep you entertained. I also think there is a new section with a couple of smallish drops (although not ridden myself)

All in all its worth a visit, I’m only 30mins up the road by car and regularly do an early run down on sat to knock a couple of laps. Yes Leith Hill is better, but you’ll be hard pushed to find 15K of uninterupted singletrack else where in Kent…..

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

I rode Bedgebury a few weeks back and there was only one section which was stupidly muddy. I thought it was a decent little trail if you’re a local, wouldn’t drive more than 25 mins to get there though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bedgebury forest anyone…?’ is closed to new replies.