Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • BBC Sports personality of the year
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Heres the options

Mark Cavendish (cycling)
    Darren Clarke (golf)
    Alastair Cook (cricket)
    Luke Donald (golf)
    Mo Farah (athletics)
    Dai Greene (athletics)
    Amir Khan (boxing)
    Rory McIlroy (golf)
    Andy Murray (tennis)
    Andrew Strauss (cricket)

Voting during the show only so whats the chance Cav can win?

allthepies
    Free Member

A golf-ist will win.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll vote for Mark Cavendish, though Mo Farah will come a close second.
    Only these two have mate me jump up and down in front of the telly this year.
    Golf? Cricket? seriously??

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Cav will win.

ocrider

Time to churn out the old adage that golf is a game, not a sport?

McIlroy will win it, Cav should.

colournoise

Farah and Cav both in the top 3, but neither will win.

slainte ➡ rob

allthepies
    Free Member

McIlroy won the US Open in 2011 with a record score after earlier in the year having led the US Masters only to blow it at the end.

He’ll win.

peteimpreza

Which of the sports listed features heavily in the BBC schedule?

Worked it out?

There is your winner, nothing to do with votes or actual sporting achievement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cav should win it for what he has achieved this year. Whether he does who knows

bigthunder
    Free Member

Craig thomson. Hearts player. Google him. Just a joke.

AlexSimon

I was just going to say that Cav has no chance because he’s not everyone’s cup of tea personality-wise. But then with Ryan Giggs and Damon Hill winning, I guess it’s not all down to that.

The one thing about cyclists is they can be an organised bunch sometimes – a concerted effort to vote for Cav could do it.

avdave2

Cav but it will only work if we all vote in the last 20 seconds.

MrSmith
    Free Member

one of those walk stick batting blokes with check trousers will win it, lycra is gay and the proles will not vote for a gobby midget unless it’s willy carson.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cycling is not a sport, if it doesnt use ball(s) its not a proper sport in my eyes, cycling is for nancys who like to wear tight lycra 😉

CAV TO WIN!

Garry_Lager

Some tragic names on that list, Christ.
    Is it really an open, above board vote? If so then can’t see Cav getting the nod – honestly think a lot of people wouldn’t vote for him because they had to slow down for a cyclist on their drive to work.
    Mo Farrah would be a good choice – great to see a UK athlete mixing it up at the top level of distance running.

Whatever you think of golf, there’s no denying Rory Mcllroy shat all over the field at the US open – total dominance. So if it has to be a Ted sport that wins it I guess he would be the best choice.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was just going to say that Cav has no chance because he’s not everyone’s cup of tea personality-wise.

We all love him now though don’t we? I remember the threads a few years back when most seemed to slag him off.

16stonepig
    Free Member

If he doesn’t win it after the year he’s just had, he never will.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They missed out David Haye!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Garrylager – I disagree, I think the list is pretty good for a change. Not sure that Andy Murray deserves a place on it though. I agree with you though about Mo Farrah – he should win.

simon_g

Cavendish and Murray are the only ones I’ve heard of.

I stopped watching SPOTY years ago, a couple of hours of dross with only a passing mention of anything I actually care about.

SOAP
    Free Member

No Jamie Bestwick thats Lame!

topangarider
    Free Member

Where’s Chrissie Wellington on the list?

Andy Murray – come on! Really?!?!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cav for the win, for some weird reason golf is popular but with three golfers they’ll be sure to split the vote from their dedicated fans. Floating voters will have noticed Cav get shortlisted for the last three years and surely everyone loves a world champion.

The only good thing about Cav not winning is the look of disbelief he does, last year when the fat dart thrower got second (or third) I swear you could see Cav mouthing “FFS”, he looked properly gutted.

sc-xc

The guy on 5Live this morning (or maybe yesterday) felt that Cav is nailed on.

wrecker
    Free Member

Now he’s a world champion. Now he deserves to win.

heuer27
    Free Member

Ricky Burns the boxer has had a brilliant year and not even short listed .
    Cav should win but won’t. I haven’t heard of most of the others though.
    That being the case the nominees haven’t exactly set the heather on fire barring Cav.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

A golfer winning a major, something that other British golfers regular win (or at least regular contend in) is a good achievement but cant really compared with what Cavendish (or Farah) has managed this year. Remarkable achievements which are rare for British sportspeople.

Hope Cav wins this year and Farah wins next year after doing the business at the olympics.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Cav to win, he ticks all the boxes.

British
    Huge achievements in his sport
    Massive personality as well! Always a bonus when it’s called Sports Personality of the year. IMO

ask1974
    Free Member

Definately an outsider but for me Alastair Cook. His dominant series in Austrailia last Christmas stunning and he kept repeating it, an outstanding achievement ‘away’.

Struggle to a golfer losing though, but think Luke Donald is a better winner than Mcllroy. Murray shouldn’t be there.

singletracksurfer

how come there are no english rugby players on that list? 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

And why no John Terry?

Woody
    Free Member

I reckon Cav has a good chance and it’ll be between him and Farah.

Too many golfers, which will dilute the individual vote, although Clarke will still get a huge number of sympathy votes on top of his deserved ones.

BigTed
    Free Member

Andy Murray got to the semi-finals of all four majors last year, only the seventh man ever to achieve that. It’s all the more impressive as he’s playing in arguably the greatest era of all time, particularly with the year that Djokovic enjoyed. So reckon that his name is as deserved in that list as any others.

That said, don’t warm to him at all and he’s rightly got no chance of winning this year.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a pity it’s not based on actual sporting achievement, there would be a lot more cyclists in there.

Cav is almost in the top ten of Grand tour stage wins ever now, by the end of next season he will be in the top ten mixing it up with Hinault, Coppi and Merckx. Not that that will mean shit to any non-cyclists.

psling
    Free Member

In recognition of the new STW, I’ll be voting for one of the female representatives on the list.

Oh… 😈

SOAP
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

Struggle to a golfer losing though

That might be the case if there was only one of them on the list – as mentioned by others, they’re stuffed with 3 of them on the list splitting the vote.
    http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner – every single bookie has Cav as favourite, though you get better than evens at most of them, so far from nailed on.
    …in fact doing the calcs, most bookies have the odds of a golfist winning very close to the odds of Cav winning.

clubber
    Free Member

I think that there should be a requirement that all the nominees attend on the night and have to wear their relevant sporting kit. Not for any reason other than it’d look pretty funny 🙂

binners

Andy Murray has a personality? Wow! Who knew?

mossimus
    Free Member

Cannot believe that non of our triathletes got nominated, Wellngton, Brownlees, Jenkins all had great seasons.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘BBC Sports personality of the year’ is closed to new replies.