Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • eBay Cree XML £20 Torch – out of the box, pics & review
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

#
    wwaswas – Member

TJ just gaffer tapes them straight to his head, I think?
    Posted 14 minutes ago # Report-Post
    #
    trailmonkey – Member

tj just tells the dark that it’s actually daylight and proceeds regardless of what the dark is doing.

🙂

M6 mounting point screwed into my skull actually

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

OK, bought. Should be good for helmet mount, and I *think* it should fit the exposure helmet mount. Which is nice 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Put a bushy tail on wwaswas and call him reynard.

Stoner
    Free Member

jimbo, 24mm ish barrel diameter without the grommets.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW, due to this thread http://club.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.912862

I just checked the charger as it seemed to be taking it’s time charging these cells (plugged in at 11ish, still going at 2:30ish) and the charger is managing 4.26v in both bays. Which is fine.

Once cell has fully charged, the other one is showing 4.16v so will give it a bit longer.

But I now have a fully charged one to do a runtime test. Turning it on high now, will let you know when it’s gone.

Stoner
    Free Member

Now it’s on Ive also given it a damn good shake bang rattle and thunk and it’s not changed setting GW, so seems made of sterner stuff than yours.

Stoner
    Free Member

Somewhere between 1:00 and 1:20 the light falls to an unusable level on one fully charged 2400 mAh ultrafire. At 1hr in, it was quite warm, but then hadnt been moving.

slugwash
    Free Member

Somewhere between 1:00 and 1:20 the light falls to an unusable level on one fully charged 2400 mAh ultrafire.

Was that at full output & would it be worth ordering a few 18650 3.7V 5000mAh Li-ion batteries and a charger at the same time as the flashlight? They seem cheap enough and that would extend the run time a bit and you’d also have several extra in your pack to last the ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

thats on Hi, and you’ll see from the OP that the torch comes with 2x cells and a charger.

YOu can probably order additional cells from the same ebay supplier for a good price. But remember they are not top notch cells.

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/batteries_21.html

they are two thirds the way down this graph

soma_rich
    Free Member

Thats a handy graph stoner. Who produced it and how?

z1ppy

The battery life is seemingly quite short, especially compared to my 3 year old P7 torch, which gives an easy 1.5hrs, on full beam.
    That and the XML led is a more efficent unit…

oh and my trustfire batteries still work fine after 3 years, which compared to my Magicshine & Lupine battery packs, has been fairly miraculous.

Stoner
    Free Member

look at the torchy link, rich

Stoner
    Free Member

used the torch to walk across the common this evening, and it’s plenty bright enough on its own with a good shape spot and periphery. Id be perfectly content to ride with it and it’s beam patterns.

Also, it does remember to turn on at hi power if you leave it off long enough between uses (probably something like 30 seconds I guess, although not properly tested it)

All in all, its a cracking torch which doubles as not a bad bike light for short rides or with the expectation of taking spare cell(s) with you.

z1ppy

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhaa! My dad mentioned yesterday he could do with a decent torch for canal work, so had me think I’d just give him one of my old P7’s, but I’d need an extra charger.. £5 on the bay, almost a quarter of the price of one of these

Resist I need to resist!
    (as already have Smudge XML bike light, 2x P7 normal torches, a Magicshine P7 bike light and Trout Mini)

GW
    Free Member

😯 being in the Dark is honestly not that ^^ scary

z1ppy

they don’t all get used at once GW… I only use two lights, but yes they put out more than your self imposed “limit”.
    The two P7 (normal) torchs are handy to throw in my backpack to get us out of trouble (and have done)

inigomontoya
    Free Member

z1ppy you mentioned ages ago on the smudge xml thread that you would compare it to the bastid xml, did you ever do that?

GW
    Free Member

Two spare lights? WTF kinda trouble were you in? 😆

z1ppy

inigomontoya sorry no, as the buyer decided to get a 4xXPG MJ-872 instead. I do wonder about this, as I think my review of Smudge unit being “spotty” is unfair or overrating the hotspot… I need a cheap DX to compare it to though.

GW, One lads battery failure before we started (dodgy connection), and one battery failure mid ride (he’d forgotten to charge it!).
    As I already had them (before MS bike lights appeared), they weigh bugger all, & in the scheme of things, not carrying them seems stupid.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

is there a cheap helmet mount about?

The Exposure one costs as much as the DX light that goes in it…

cupra
    Free Member

ebay is your friend about £5 should sort you out

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i just got this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160636012012&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123 which is a little different, i can’t remember why i picked it, i seem to remember it was a late night “why not” purchase..

anyway, it’s significantly brighter than my ay-ups, looks to have a reasonable halo around the hotspot (similar to ay-ups) weighs a fair bit (too much for helmet imo) and the bike mount would drop it going off a kerb..

but i’m pretty impressed with the brightness, will be interesting to see it on a bike, and if not – it’s pretty good as a torch!

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

^ weighs 185g btw

Stoner
    Free Member

took torch with me last night and grabbed some crappy phone camera beam shots (ISO 800):

Troutlight Lumen Liberator (6x XPGs I think) on LOW

Troutlight Lumen Liberator (6x XPGs I think) on HIGH

and now with XML T6 torch

^ raindrop, about to turn into vapour

fun. doin’ it again tonight 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for mine to arrive, I got a pacakage with a headlight i’d ordered and the batteries and charger for the torch, but no torch…

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday so rode with that on my helmet and a Bastid 900 on the bars BLIMEY all the light I will need!
    I used a bodge of velcro straps and cable ties to attach but could still get it off to change battery.
    And it feels suprisingly well made too!

HarYuken
    Free Member

Still waiting for mine (ordered 14/10)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cupra have you got a link to Ebay helmet mount, I’m struggling to fin anything…

Ta

honourablegeorge

I had intended to just velcro this to my lid, possibly a cable tie or two – any reason I shouldn’t?

Stoner
    Free Member

You might want to put a rubber pad under the front of the torch to lift it to the right angle – the vents on your helmet might point the torch too low and to one side otherwise.

I run mine on the bars since the flood from the troutlight deals with the periphery without the need to point my head at things to the sides. The XML is just amusing overkill, but with it on Im doing some decents faster than I ever would in daylight as not onloy can I see where Im going but in the middle of the night there’s almost no risk of some bugger walking their dog round the next corner – and if by some fluke someone else is out there in the dark, with the laser beam on the front they’ll see me coming 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

problem with the lockblock is that it puts the torch (185g remember) a good inch and a half further away from the outer shell of the helmet, so maybe 4″ away from the head giving it a fair bit of moment that you’d notice probbaly more than just ziptieing it as close to the helmet outer surface as possible.

HarYuken
    Free Member

Cheers. Wont it get too hot? Maybe a thin piece of rubber underneath the torch between it and the helmet?

The answer I think is 2 helmets – one for day and one for night, with the torch permanently attached!

honourablegeorge

HarYuken – Member
    Cheers. Wont it get too hot? Maybe a thin piece of rubber underneath the torch between it and the helmet?

The answer I think is 2 helmets – one for day and one for night, with the torch permanently attached!

That’s my exact plan. And my only worry.

GW
    Free Member

stoner try 3M dual lock and a velcro cable tidy.. holds my P7 on my lid V. securely and V. close to the lid as possible but still insulated from the shell

slugwash
    Free Member

Inspired by stoners post & ebay link (cheers 🙂 ) I bought a 1300 lumen XML light like jeffcapeshop’s one above ^^^ but without the mount and rear light. I ordered it a day or so after stoner’s post and it came yesterday so about two weeks or so from order to delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1300-Lumens-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-18650-Flashlight-Torch-/330629878019?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4cfb139103

I tried it mounted on my helmet last night but it’s heavier at the front than the rear and that was very noticeable, even with the helmet clamped up tight to my head. I’ve got a substantially heavier Lidl Cree torch (not shown in photos below) which is more balanced and sits on my helmet alright so it’s not the weight so much as the weight distribution along the length of the flashlight.

Another problem with the helmet mounting was the amount of reflection from the mist that was hanging around last night. It’s bad enough with the 200 lumen torch (see photos below) shining back in my eyes but 1300 (claimed) lumens was simply blinding.

Anyway, I’ve mounted it on the bars today ready for this evening’s 8 mile ride home. So hopefully I’ll get some beam shots. However, as it’s forecast to piss down at 10pm tonight, when I’m setting off, all I’ll probably get is confirmation as to whether or not the flashlight is actually waterproof.

One more thing. I haven’t run down the batteries so far so don’t know how long they’ll last. They took about four hours to charge when I first got them. The 200 lumen torch below takes two AA batteries and lasts for weeks. It also more than bright enough to commute by road in the dark. It did cost more than the new Cree one though. Anyway, I’m off to throw my old Tesco 3w LED torches in the bin 😉

Mounted on handlebars with old broken Oxford 3W LED light mount, zip tied to bars. I’ve slipped a bit of cycle inner tube over the shaft and rucked it up a bit to get a firm grip in the mount.

Torch compared with 200 Lumen focusable ‘helmet’ light

Mounted on bars. Smaller torch held on by band made from old car tyre inner (Won’t work on new light as it’s too heavy at the lens end)…

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i tried mine (again as above) properly last night, bar mounted alongside the ay-ups i normally use, so i turned it on for descents only – it lasted fine for that and made quite a difference! my ay-ups are great but for fast descents it’s good to have something with a longer range (though it is pretty tight). i “tested” it at home and got 40 minutes before i noticed it dimming with the shitey batteries it comes with.

i made a simple mount with a blob of that polymorph microwave-melting plastic and a ziptie, worked nicely!

so yeah, as a welcome but not relied on boost, it’s perfect! also think it would be very easy to separate the head and battery to make a nice helmet torch, might well buy another to do that with seeing as they are so cheap.

one thing though – i’ve heard that those batteries are a little volatile – how should i carry them? (guessing loose in damp pocket not ideal..)

rewski
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning, pretty impressed so far, will test on the trails tomorrow night. Thank you for the tip off.

Stoner
    Free Member

no worries.

Mine has been fantastic. Superb brightness and beam shape, and Im getting plenty of burntime now, although Ive not measured it since. Might do it later.

v happy with mine.

stanley

Could anybody please point me in the direction of a bar mount for these lights?

I bought one a few weeks ago and have used it mounted directly to my helmet. Finding it a bit heavy though, so want to try it on the bars.
    Ta

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘eBay Cree XML £20 Torch – out of the box, pics & review’ is closed to new replies.