Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • BB guidance …
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

I’m assuming a new XT BB70 will replace the original that came with my LX HTII chainset … but can anyone recommend a good BB option for the same money?

Cheers
    DHs

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t know if it’s in your price bracket but my Hope ones are great.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Rose Bikes for cheapy XTR ones. You can buy 4 for the price of a hope one! Oh, and like them on facebook for a tenner off..
    Get the frame faced and don’t over-tighten the preload and they last for ages.

Spin
    Free Member

Can you replace the bearings on the XTR ones? You can with the Hopes.

cp

not sure if you can replace the bearings on XTR like you can on XT. However, Hope reoplacement bearings do cost a fair whack – like more than the XTR complete BB, just for one bearing… and you need two.

However, my Hope has so far lasted twice as long as my shimano ones laster & it’s still buttery smooth. unfaced frame too for the Hope, whereas the shimano’s were in a faced frame.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Why would you want to? The entire BB costs less than one Hope bearing! 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

I just like the thought of replacing the bits that wear out as opposed to chucking the whole thing. Not a issue yet as like the man above says my hopes are outlasting shimano ones by about 4x

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Then you just replace the side that’s worn out. The most costly part of the BB should be the bearing, not the shell it sits in. It makes me wonder why the price of hope bearings is less than half the total cost of the BB.
    TBH, I’ve never really believed the hype surrounding expensive BBs. I’ve had very good life from an XTR one – 2 drivetrains worth, and only feeling a little grumbly now.. Mediocre life from an FSA ceramic one – one drivetrain, and rough as hell, and apalling life from a Wheels Manufacturing one – one slightly wet singlespeed race. I’ve used secondhand XT bb’s (the non worn out sides from shop replacements!) on my singlespeed, which tend to last about 8-10 months or so..
    I would only buy a Hope or similar if I knew it was going to outlast an XTR by more than the premium it costs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘BB guidance …’ is closed to new replies.