Apologies for invoking the threat of the puncture fairy, but a few questions on puncture repair:
1. Do you bother, or just replace with new inner?
2. Does the glue have a shelf life?
3. How long do you leave the glue before applying the patch - leaflets say 4-5 mins but seems like a long time?
4. How long do you leave the patch on before removing the plastic backing?
5. Do you trust repaired inners completely?
I got my second flat in a row on exactly the same trail yesterday. Got fed up with putting new inners in and decided to simply mend old inner and the flats on kids bikes.
Repair kit is quite a few years old, but glue seemed to be not that sticky (Q2 above). Leaflet said leave glue alone for 4-5 mins after application before putting patch on (Q3) but glue seemed to dry out. The first patch really didn;t stick well, especially the orange outers. Tried again and left for at least 10mins before removing (Q4). Pumped and replaced tire and left bike for a couple of hours. Tire feels ok but slightly down after 2 hours (Q5). In a race or out on the trails, I merely replace inners but felt it was a bit of a waste not to repair some today. But not sure it was a great success.
Should inners really be considered disposable?