Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Basic GPS
  • Mounty_73

Looking for a very basic GPS device, I dont want mapping/route planning etc or to use a smartphone.

I just need one for emergencies and checking maps if a bit off course, so a grid reference would be good!

29erKeith
    Free Member

garmin geko’s are cheap and simple

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got the cheapest Garmin one which I got a few years back but given that I like to take a phone, camera when I go for runs/walks etc I take my smartphone and I have the Memory map files for the national parks if i ever need to use the GPS.
    Depends if you have a smart phone really.

imp999
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin Summit you can have for £40.
    Any good?
    Email ad in profile.

SnS
    Free Member

The Garmin Geko’s sound to be pretty much ideal for what you need. – I still use a 201 for similar reasons to what you’ve mentioned.
    Please note that by today’s standards, they can be viewed as pretty low tech & don’t have the most sensitive of receivers.

Still, AAA batts, pretty good life, small size, inexpensive ( shop around), & able to give an OS Grid ref.

Chris

thomthumb
    Free Member

i love my geko.

i haven’t really tried anything better though.

jimmers
    Free Member

I’ve got a Geko also. I had an all singing, dancing eTrex and I sometime use a smart phone if I am walking.

For the bike though a Geko is simple to use and more importantly easy to operate with gloves.

BTW I supplement the GPS with a proper map and compass.

For battery life the Gekos is pants, around 6hr. But you can get 10 – 12hrs with Lithium Ion AAA batteries and if you turn off WAAS (more accurate GPS).

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

+1 geko – about as basic as it gets, battery liofe ok imho. location in lat/long or os co-ordinates.
    i like using maop and compass and didn’t want to be tempted to use the gps as the primary navigation tool

willard

Basic Garmin eTrex. Had one for years and it does everything I need or want a GPS for when on a bike or walking, i.e. tell me where I have been and where I am NOW…

Everything else is done with map and compass.

Mounty_73

Cheers peeps. I am looking at the Garmin eTrex H.

Does the Garming etrex H give a grid reference? (only interested in where I am, if I go off course a little).

But I cant seem to find the right info.

I was hoping that my old garmin edge 205 would be enough, but it only gives out lon/lat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Basic GPS’ is closed to new replies.