Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Basic broadband router question
  • earbyphil
    Free Member

I was sent a router included in my broadband package and all worked well.
    However it looks like the router has now “packed-up”. If I buy a new router (which one is another question?) how does it know to connect to my broadband provider? Are some details I need to keep from the old router?

wwaswas

Are some details I need to keep from the old router?

yes, although your isp should have a web page with all the details that you need for the new one.

kayak23

First port of call is to call your provider, they should send you out a replacement.

druidh
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    First port of call is to call your provider, they should send you out a replacement.

If it was part of your package, it should be up to them to replace it?

Cougar

You’ll need a username and password pair for the external (‘wide area’) connection. Historically ISPs gave you these, but these days many just send you a pre-configured device. How easy or hard it’ll be to get the password depends on who the ISP is.

But yes, as the canoe guru says, ask your ISP for a new one.

earbyphil
    Free Member

I should have mentioned I have had the router and broadband package for over three years so I doubt I’d be due a replacement. I will try looking for their web pages.

brassneck

I should have mentioned I have had the router and broadband package for over three years so I doubt I’d be due a replacement. I will try looking for their web pages.

PlusNet sent me one for P&P costs (4.99 if I remember), been with them years and usually supplied my own kit – my router packed up and they just added the postage to my usual bill.

earbyphil
    Free Member

I have sent my provider another email along the lines of “good customer” “long-term” “other providers” “move account” “free replacement” so I will see what happens.

As for the original post I guess the only details I need are the SSID and WPA key? and a new modem/router would know what to do after that?

brassneck

No, you need your sign on username and password to plug in – there’s usually a set up wizard that will cover the more gory options.

You need the SSID and WPA key to configure the wireless bit so you don’t have to go reconfigure all your devices.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Basic broadband router question’ is closed to new replies.