Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Barcode generator to tag a location?
  • lovewookie

Hi,

Is this possible? I’m wishing to create a barcode that I can scan with my phone that will identify a ‘thing’ lets say a bike, and transmit the location of where it was scanned.

Does that already exist? I guess it will be down to a specific app rather than the barcode itself? Oh if that’s the case is it’ll need to work with Symbian and Android.

ta

turboferret

Might not be a very efficient way of doing it, but you could could make a URL which would link to a location on a google map, and create a code which contained that link using something like this.

Cheers, Rich

allthepies
    Free Member

QRCodes can hold a large amount of data, you could encode a text string such as:-

“Shiney bike. Location 51.234N -0.3452E”

or as above, include a URL with the location

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Iphon this already – records where tr photo was taken – the thing is identifiable by being the subject of the photo …..

I dont see what a barcode brings to the table ?

chrisa87
    Free Member

[/quote
    Iphon this already – records where tr photo was taken – the thing is identifiable by being the subject of the photo …..quote]

Could depend on how accurate the system is, if high-accuracy required, like say in a building GPS might not be good enough

wwaswas

As above most smartphones already geo-tag images if you don’t switch the feature off so if it’ll all be outdoors then that should be enough.

prezet
    Free Member

Perfectly possible – but much better to generate a QR code from the co-ordinates.

Cougar

Is the location dynamic?

Ie, if you put the tag on a bike, and the bike moves, you want the co-ordinates of where it actually is rather than some numbers hard-coded into the barcode, yes?

There’s plenty of applications that read QR codes, and plenty of phone cameras that can geotag images (ie, embed location information into a photo’s EXIF data), so it’s certainly possible but I don’t know offhand of an app that does both. Google variations of “QR geotag” perhaps.

prezet
    Free Member

Stickybits – is kind of interesting, scan a barcode and then leave your own custom tags on there for others to see.

TooTall
    Free Member

Loads of free QR scanners on the mobile phones.

Add this:

http://code.google.com/apis/chart/infographics/docs/qr_codes.html

and make your own stickers – scan them when you stick them.

CountZero

Hmmm, interesting. Not sure that it’s possible to create one code, (and it would need to be a QR code to carry enough info), that could tell you the location of an object that moves. Once the code is generated the info it contains is fixed. Taking a geolocation like lat/long or OS grid ref is a doddle, but the info is fixed at that location, for obvious reasons. You could generate a QR code with your post code and house number in case something is lost, but that could raise security issues.
    I’m not sure really that what you’re asking is feasible.
    I did see an interesting use of a QR code on boingboing; it’s a tattoo that, when scanned with a smartphone takes you to a site that shows a different random image every time you scan. Daft, but fun.

lovewookie

Hi,
    I guess what i’m really after is an app that i can scan a barcode on the bike and it’ll identify it and log it’s position. This can be broadly referenced to known locations, for example storage areas, or allocated as ‘out’ if at a single location outwith the storage areas.

I think i may need to chat to someone who does this commercially.
    Ta

joemarshall
    Free Member

It’s just asset tracking using qr codes? Definitely must be commercial systems that do it, as I’ve seen shops with qr code stickers.

If you wanted to not have to develop / buy a mobile app, you could use a qr code with a url for the asset on it, and at the asset page have a site that uses html5 geolocation to find out where the mobile device is. That’d work on most good smartphones (with gps obviously), not sure about symbian though. That way any barcode reader app would work.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I have been looking into this myself, having recently had two bikes stolen.
    At work we have made tens of thousands of really durable laser marked bar code labels for an air line. I have also been thinking along the lines of QR codes for bike marking & identification. I think the addition of the location bit would be great.
    So if anybody can develop the app I have the labels that will last and not fall off and be very very hard hard to peel off.

CountZero

TheDT’s, I like the idea of a super-durable QR code label for identifying property. Be interesting to see where this could lead.

Flaperon

If there’s a genuine need for this app I’ve no problem knocking it together for Android in the New Year – it’s not actually that much work, especially if the asset tracking is done on the web or something.

Interesting idea for identifying dodgy goods, actually… you see a bike locked up in a dubious location, a quick scan of the permanent barcode tells you instantly if it’s listed as stolen.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

if you put one together, id be interested in it.

nick

TheDTs
    Free Member

If anyone needs some sample labels for testing let me know. Email me the file or the QR. I’ve been trying to get my head around how to do this for weeks. I was thinking that the QR could have the owners Facebook page but that seemed hard to work out and I’m not a big user of Facebook.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Barcode generator to tag a location?’ is closed to new replies.