Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bar tape?
  • cookeaa

Currently I'm using some cheapy double wrapped tape which feels OK but I still get more numbness than I’d like, I’m changing to a compact drop bar and shorter stem to try and improve my body position (the huge anatomic thing I’ve currently got just ain’t right) so I’m going to be needing some fresh bar tape anyway, what’s good at reducing any potential high stress points?
    Are the BG Pads and similar systems any cop? Or is it better to just go with a good thick/gel backed tape?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I've found ITM tape to be thicker/more comfy than Cinelli but haven't needed any more than that, so can't really help with your last two Q's…..

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i've used the BG tape with gel pads underneath. Seems to work ok but it does make the bars really fat. Position is important, but try to make sure you move your hands about on the different positions regularly.

mefty
    Free Member

I like Fizik microtex and their gel pads. If the tape gets dirty it can be wiped clean but still has a nice feel.

Woody
    Free Member

I would expect this from Charliethebikemonger to pedal as well.

Lovely stuff (not on web site yet) but how much? 😯

breatheeasy
    Free Member

All the gel seemed to do on my bike was make the bars fatter. I think I may have taped it up a bit tight though and it lost all that squidge it had out of the packet.

The Specialized Phat Wrap and Pro Gel tape on my two bikes is nice though.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

BG pads, be careful you don't overtighten the bar tape on top and sqush the BG pads out of shape too much.

Never moved off ITM cork tape myself. I find gloves more importnat than tape for comfort.

jonb
    Free Member

Have you looked as the ESI silicon grips. Their mtb stuff is well rated. I just put some (mtb) on but haven't ridden it yet.

marionheck
    Free Member

I sometims but two layer of tape on and have foudn it helps with my numb ness.

DezB
    Free Member

Good thing about the Spesh Phat Tape is that the tape is really good stuff as well as getting the gel pads. It never seems to wear out!

westkipper
    Free Member

Cinelli gel bar tape is great- soft, strong, and very, very long (naw,second thoughts, thats something to wipe yer erse with…)
    Not as thick as the other gel based tapes but very hardwearing and can be rewrapped/ reused.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are your gloves suitable. All the 'Bike Ribbon' types are good. The carbon effect ones could be harsh.

Edit; Have you bought the bars yet? as the flat top one might help a bit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bar tape?’ is closed to new replies.