Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bar Ends- yes or no?
  • D28boy
    Free Member

As some of you may know I'm a newbie to the site being an ex-runner. I've had a SilverFox mountain bike for a few years that I have used when injuries prevented me running. The point is it was fitted with those bar end things. Should I get them fitted on my new bike or are they just an accessorie you don't need. Advice please.. don't want to look stupid

cynic-al
    Free Member

do you like them or not?

clubber
    Free Member

If you like them fit them, otherwise don't. Some of my bikes have them, some don't.

You will get the p!ss ripped if you fit them on riser bars though 🙂 Up to you if you can live with that 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

they come in a wide variety of colours too ! i have apple green to go with my apple green bike 😉 its just another fashion statement but we all like to keep on doing the 'Bling Bling' thing 😉

neninja
    Free Member

They definitely work but look awful

I just put my hands over the ends of the bars as I can't bear the mickey taking they'd generate.

njee20
    Free Member

They look fine on flat bars, just awful on risers!

I've gone to risers (without bar ends) this year and haven't missed them personally, but do think they're nice to have on a flat bar.

RepacK
    Free Member

Ive got em & on risers – who gives a **** for the fashion police! 😈

kevonakona
    Free Member

"don't want to look stupid"

really if that's your concern your: A) on teh wrong forum and B) strating the wrong sport.

Oh and runners and looking stupid. 'nuff said.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

For me running is about showing as much inner thigh as is legally possible, loves it. Whats wrong with ends on risers? is there a mechanical reason you shouldn't or just a bunch of gibbons being genrally Ape'ish about the whole thing?

greyman
    Free Member

as above, the fashion police.

consensus is they just look crap on risers, ok on flats.

I have one bike with flats, and guess what – bar ends ! (I find them very effective)

won't put them on my other bikes, all risers.

G (victim)

philconsequence
    Free Member

i've got bar ends ready to put on my risers…. just gotta get some grips to cut up and try it all out.

does make me chuckle at the fashion police, nobody is as cool as the naturally cool person who doesnt try to look cool. if you have to ask the question, you're not cool.

no more internet for you.

Chase
    Free Member

Saw someone out on a bike recently who had bar ends inboard of the brakes and shifters. They actually looked really comfortable for a long slog as it wasn't a technical climb.

Hohum
    Free Member

I have micro bar ends on my risers and I find them very useful when climbing.

I can't understand why they are okay on flats, but not on risers 😕

Sawyer
    Free Member

I have them on risers, because with flats the bars are too low. It's up to you whether you like them or not.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

When did that 'no ends on risers' trend ever start and what Ape started it? Bar ends go well with my side burns…

philconsequence
    Free Member

Bar ends go well with my side burns…

cool without trying. this man is cool.

Keva
    Free Member

try riding the bike with them on and then with them off, see which you prefer. Like someone said up there ^^^ I prefer to hold the end of the handlebars if I fancy a chnage of position… bar end are great for climbing though.

Kev

Del

well, i imagine they're great for catching in bits of undergrowth, spinning the bar at a moments notice and throwing you off. if that's not a consideration, do what you like. 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

don't put them on your new bike – yet.

leave them off for a week or so, if you can be bothered to put them on, then they're worth having.

PJay
    Free Member

If you use them, transfer them. I've got stubbie risers on both my bikes (and in both cases on riser bars) and wouldn't be without them.

donsimon
    Free Member

My XC bike with flat bar has bar ends and gets used for long rides.
    Longer travel bike has risers and no bar ends, but they would be useful on longer rides as a change in position would be nice. The bike isn't really deigned for 3hour+ rides though and is more for fooling around. I haven't put bar ends on as I don't like the idea of falling on the bar ends while playing around. For me it's more of a safety issue.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Yes, with risers 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

If I had another bicycle and was more into jumps/technical stuff then I would not have them on that bicycle.

BigJohn

I can't remember why I used to like bar ends. I'm sure I did, but so much has changed since then.

njee20
    Free Member

Whats wrong with ends on risers?

Personally I just don't feel the need on risers, the wider, more swept position puts the bar ends in the wrong place and negates their effectiveness. Hence I'd always go for risers or flats/bar ends. It does look silly though.

convert

Was thinking about going back to bar ends on a bike with flat bars, but they just don't work (for me) unless the bar is relatively narrow & my flat bars are 660mm wide. Shape of bar irrelevant- it's the location of the bit you hold in relation to the saddle which is important and on most risers that's not great for bar ends.

chickenman

It's really only when you go over the bars and they puncture your lungs/kidneys that they look a bit naff TBH…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

On an XC bike with flat bars they are brilliant, with risers no!

FOG

My wrists just don't seem very flexible giving me really sore hands on a long ride especially with lots of climbing out of the saddle so I fit bar ends on everything, risers as well. I have even been thinking of taking the drops of the road bike and replacing them with straights plus bar ends.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Recently started riding this bike a lot, as well as my "modern" bike. It's ace with bar ends, they feel so right on old skool set ups.

RST 461 by Bracknell Cycles, on Flickr

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bar Ends- yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.