• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bar bag recommendations.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Trying to choose a handlebar bag for on and off road touring. Any recommendations? Ideally with an external map case and shoulder strap.
    Cheers
    Jo

druidh
    Free Member

Ortlieb – with the map holder.

Sturdy, waterproof, classic. And available in a range of colours. I like the “Ultimate 5 Plus”. That has to be the best one right? Not only is it the ULTIMATE, but it gets a PLUS too!!!

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – the only downside I’ve found is that getting bar-mounted lights to fit is a pain. Apparently, the newer Ortliebs will fit a Rixen Kaul bracket and there’s a natty wee fitting for those that will take a light or two.

Where are we going?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oh, and I forgot the other criteria, not just a waterproof box and can it cost less than the bike please… 😉

rudedog
    Free Member

alpkit airlok extra – it doesn’t have a map case but the 8L version is only 7 quid – how can you go wrong?

get a separate map case from here:

http://www.expeditionhardware.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=361

CraigW
    Free Member

I recently got a Vaude Aqua Box bar bag, and I like it. It is mostly just a waterproof box, but it works fine. It does have a zip pocket inside it. And it uses a Klickfix mount.

Its not exactly cheap, but probably a bit cheaper than the Ortlieb. Especially as it includes the map case as standard (and a shoulder strap).

trail_rat
    Free Member

my advice – avoid a flip top box with a velcro closer – with a map on top and a loaded bar bag – it will pop open and empty its comment all over the trails ! – namely the altura dryline i have ….

thehustler
    Free Member

bike bag

I have one of these, recently used it on London Paris trip, ticks all your boxes and not too bad on price

fourbanger
    Free Member

I got an Ortlieb which has done a couple of tours. Waterproofing is good but it’s really awkward to open, which is a PITA if you’re riding and want your camera or some munch on the move.

ton

carradice user here, a bit old fashioned i know, but lasts and lasts.

just sold a set of 30 yr old set of super c panniers.
    bloke reckons they have another 30 yrs in em. 😉

anyway i use one of these

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bar bag recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.