Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • BANKSY – FOUND OUT
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

His work inspired by Frenchman many years earlier.

Wrote over 25year old work by his retired senior.

I always thought he was overrated, any respect now lost.

kudos100
    Free Member

Old news.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Very old news.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

I wonder what channel Al is watching? 😉

…..oh and old news as mentioned.

Garry_Lager

Hitler invades Poland

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s not quite a Woppit.

More’s the pity. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Some sea-dwelling creatures crawl onto laynd….

juiced
    Free Member

BANKSY is the superrrrrb!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not all of US is so LONDON centric

Easy ride for the haterz it seems!

atlaz
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware the whole Blek le Rat thing was news either. Didn’t everyone know that? 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

Link to article?
    Was this in Genesis or Exodus?

Coyote
    Free Member

Guys…

You ready for this…

Princess Diana is dead! Yes I know, it shocked me as well. I wouldn’t have believed it but it was on the front of the Express today…

CountZero

Damn, you woke me up for that?
    I believe it’s written about in one or other of the Banksy books that I bought a couple of years ago. Typical of a tv program to do a big ‘shock, horror’ exposé on really old news.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ha ha haterz in “try to make someone feel small” shocker.

Won’t work with me, losers.

Garry_Lager

What’s that Al mate? Marconi’s invented the wireless? Amazing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not your mate

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m not your buddy, guy!

boxelder

Anyone riding bikes today?

donsimon
    Free Member

Ha ha haterz in “try to make someone feel small” shocker.

Won’t work with me, losers.
    Can’t make the small, feel any smaller see?
    😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Haterz = Loserz

iain1775
    Free Member

Who’s Banksy?
    Why he get capital letters?

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s a bloke who scrawls stuff on wall..

Well I quite like his work anyhoo’s..

cynic-al
    Free Member

DS, I thought better of you, I really did.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Artist imitates other artist shocker. In other news: man kicked to death by one-legged chicken.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the more people like something the less artistic merit it has, this is a medical fact.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I didn’t think Robbo came across particularly well in the programme. Gave it up for the sake of his family…but quite happy to start up again, risk going inside etc. for petty retaliation and to try and make money off Banksy’s back. It looked to me like his 25yr piece was pretty much gone before Banksy went over it. And his work on the trains was shocking!

I was also suprised by the ending…I wonder who gave him a good kicking. Shouldn’t be too hard for the police to track him down as there can’t be too many people in coma’s at that given point in time matching his profile.

donsimon
    Free Member

Poster imitates other poster. In other news………

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s clearly no saint and the program appeared heavily biased in his favour, but “Make money off Banksy’s back”?

Oh teh ironing!

dooosuk
    Free Member

He’d have never come ‘out of retirement’ and started displaying in exhibitions/getting commissions etc. if it wasn’t for Banksy … is the way the programme/Robbo documented it.

Most people likely to now buy his work probably had no idea who he was before either.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Human imitates other human imitating other human shocker. In other news…

cynic-al
    Free Member

My point was Banksy used someone else’s ideas.

yunki
    Free Member

Banksy was very highly thought of within the burgeoning british graf scene of the 80s.. this is back before the days of Operation Anderson ( a police sting in ’89 ) when the best you could hope for for your troubles was the respect of your peers and a night in the cells..

(or in the case of some of the older lads in our crew, outlaw status, £20 000 fines, prison sentences and the destruction of years and years worth of photographs and artwork cataloguing the birth of the European street art movement)
    Banksy was loved even then for his wit, his passion, his politics and his hard work in pushing the scene forward in a drive to bring this much maligned artform out of the shadows and to the attention of the art establishment..
    To be honest, I’d never heard of Blek le rat until the late ’90s and millions wouldn’t have without Banksy’s work..

babber ‘a’n’t done too bad ‘as ‘ee..?

EDIT: in reply to al’s persitent phillistinism, hip hop was always about cutting and pasting in it’s early days, using the best of what was available to get the job done.. and isn’t imitation the sincerest form of flattery..?

All those bastard painters that copied those that had gone before… painting the same subjects and using the same materials.. the charlatans!! how very dare they..!?

dooosuk
    Free Member

My point was Banksy used someone else’s ideas.

Ah right, yes. There seems to be no denying that.

I quite liked Mr Blek…thought he came across pretty well and wasn’t what I was expecting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

All human life takes ques from other humans, call it copying, plagarism(spelling??) call it inspiration.. call it original.
    can’t deny that the movement isn’t flurishing because of him.

Andituk
    Free Member

Blek has disagreed with those who claim Banksy has copied his work: “People say he copies me, but I don’t think so. I’m the old man, he’s the new kid, and if I’m an inspiration to an artist that good, I love it. I feel what he is doing in London is similar to the rock movement in the Sixties.”

Seems fair enough.

dogbert
    Free Member

I watched Graffiti Wars last night and it really did Banksy no favours whatsoever. An idiot can see that he didn’t take ideas from Blek, he downright copied his work. The councils approach to graffiti/street art was also amusing……at one point admitting that a Banksy adds to the value of an area.

In some ways I admire Banksy, idiots are buying up his art an overinflated prices (my brother in law knows a guy who makes a living off buying and selling Banksy’s, real or fake because people are idiots and willing to shell out masses of cash for, as Banksy has said, crap) And I would be surprised if it really is Banksy who keeps overpainting Robbo’s work, more likely his legion of fans.

I was genuinely saddened at the end, Robbo came out of retirement to stand up for what he believed in, started to get the recognition he deserved then ended up in a coma because of some mindless thugs. Regardless of the tit for tat in the programme, the guy has two kids.

edit: Oh, and Old News? so what if some of us didn’t know the story. Careful, you’re starting to sound like hipsters

nick1962
    Free Member

Even i was doing primitive stencil graffiti before 1981 influenced(copying!) stuff coming out of the punk/ new wave movment.The political/situationist/avant garde/surrealist influence was even older, predating the French student revolutionary rhetoric graffiti from the sixties.
    Blek le Rat hardly invented it.
    “Be realistic,demand the impossible”

cynic-al
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    EDIT: in reply to al’s persitent phillistinism, hip hop was always about cutting and pasting in it’s early days, using the best of what was available to get the job done.. and isn’t imitation the sincerest form of flattery..?

What I am saying makes me a philistine? I thought you’d just consider it a different opinion, you being so chilled, grown up ‘n’ all 🙄

I see your point but it seems to me that’s not what Banksy did – he ripped off someone elses ideas – and yes I know it goes on in the art world, but that level of plagarism is not somehting I can respect.

Fair play to him if he did get the scene noticed. Fair play to him if he’s earning a lot of money. I still think he’s massively overated and his stuff is appropriate for the back page of Viz (like many others such as the Chapman brothers).

But ignore me, I’m a philistine.

atlaz
    Free Member

nick1962 – I don’t think it was the stencils that people were talking about, more the style of what he chose to do with it. Even Banksy says that every time he has an original idea he finds out that Blek has already done it; probably 20 years before.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But ignore me

That’s the best bit of advice you’ve given in ages. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘BANKSY – FOUND OUT’ is closed to new replies.