Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Baiting Mouse Traps
  • j_me
    Free Member

So it looks like our 16 year old mouser is loosing her touch and although we’ve never had a problem before there’s definitely signs that there’s a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Going to put some traps down, but what bait? I’ve heard peanut butter goes down well…any experiences / suggestions?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Chocolate works pretty well.

dan1980
    Free Member

My dad used to use bits of twix

thom
    Free Member

I’ve tried pretty much everything. Caught one a day with peanut butter (until there were none left anyway)!

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Peanut butter has been the most successful for me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Chocolate

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

peanut butter works well

TooTall
    Free Member

Energy bars. The wee buggers had half a Clif bar in my garage before I knew of their existance – the rest of that Clif bar was their downfall.

motivforz
    Free Member

My parents used to use raisins with great success

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

How about chocolate covered in peanut butter?

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for chocolate.
    I got one of those humane mouse traps where when the mouse runs in ,it tips over and so he’s trapped.You then have to take the trap and release the mouse into the wild a couple of kms away.
    Unfortunately I forgot to check it for a couple of weeks and my humane trap actually became a rather inhumane starvation chamber for some wee mouse….I had wondered what the smell was coming from.

timber

Use raisins here too, stay nicely stuck to the trap, some raisins have had a whole 3 months of trapping

MrSmith
    Free Member

raisins or the bits of papaya/mango you get in some muesli’s, less messy than peanut butter

Lifer
    Free Member

Baby food

Harry_the_Spider

Mars bars. Unwrap ’em first though.

Shadow
    Free Member

Nutella

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Chocolate and peanut butter (Snickers). That’s what worked best with Marvin the mouse in my kitchen! He’d not touch everything else that I tried for the first couple of days. Put the Snickers out and hey presto, gone in an hour!

mudshark
    Free Member

To all those who suggest some sort of chocolate bar – what a waste! Peanut butter worked for me.

samuri
    Free Member

Sometimes don’t matter if you use the right bait, some mice are smart.
    Then again, some of their friends are stupid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAeVzTVz8A

matthewjb
    Free Member

Peanut butter here.

Careful what trap you use. The last one I had was like a giant bulldog clip. Unfortunately it didn’t have enough force to kill outright. Not very pleasant/kind.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Try just using a razor blade on it,s edge. The mouse walks up to it and says ” What no cheese ” as it shakes it,s head from side to side.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho7gIb91Jc0&feature=related[/video]

nick1962
    Free Member

As Steven Wright once said
    “The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese”

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve had peanut butter work, but the second mouse was smarter – finally got him with cheddar.

j_me
    Free Member

Peanut Butter 1 : Mice 0
    Cheers. Will keep trying until they get picky

bigbloke
    Free Member

Second the peanut butter, put a trap down with it, 10 mins later snap bye bye mouse.

tom496
    Free Member

+ 1 for Peanut Butter plus whatever they are entering the house to eat ( in our case small bits of dog food(or the lighting circuit cables, little buggers!)) five mice caught so far and still counting…

allthepies
    Free Member

“call youself a mouse trap ? Ha! You couldn’t catch a cold”

might do it.

Cougar

+n for peanut butter. I committed mouseycide in my house with the stuff a few years ago, very effective.

Allthepies > you know, that was the first place my mind went as well. There’s no hope, is there… (-:

Klunk
    Free Member

nutella or sunflower seeds

brian2510
    Free Member

I am a pest controller and the best way is as every one says use peanut butter works every time can’t resist a bit of that

Dobbo

I just stick a raisin on mine.

j_me
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, I would definitely advocate peanut butter!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

had a moose, so got these from B+Q

pre-baited and ready to go, also easy to get the dead varmint out and reset. cost is around £3or £4 per pair. seperate bait is available for a few quid.

Sidney
    Free Member

+1 peanut butter

In the Verminator tv show (think fly on the wall pest control in LA – no pun!) they use peanut butter to catch mice and rats. They also use an awesome trap called a T-Rex (fingers crossed link works):

ex-pat
    Free Member

T Rex

FTFY

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Baiting Mouse Traps’ is closed to new replies.