Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bailiffs, what's the deal?
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Have a friend of a friend, who had bailiffs again entry to a property whilst only minors where in the house. Are they allowed to gain access without an adult on the premises?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I believe so. Certainly thats what they told me, it seems they make an appointment to come round & people often go out thinking if they are nto there then nothing will happen… unfortunately the bailiffs just get a locksmith to let them in.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im pretty sure bailiffs cant just let themselves in, they have to be allowed in. They may b able to gain entry forcibly if there are police officers present, but not 100% sure.
    Steve Austin of this parish is probably better placed to answer this tbh.

Why where minors left alone in a house, or have i missed something?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jota180
    Free Member

Why where minors left alone in a house, or have i missed something?

We leave our 15 yr old alone at home – why not?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

pay yer bills and they won’t come knocking…

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

age of children(s) was approx 12/13yrs. Don’t want to start getting side tracked. I presume the child let them in when she answered the door, whether that be right or wrong.

hora
    Free Member

Teach the minors not to answer the door when your not in. I’m going to do this, its too much of a minefield if someone who is a persuasive-character etc etc etc knocks. A simple call to yourselves will suffice.

They can’t just break in can they? If that is happening advise them to call 999 asap.

bigyinn
    Free Member

@ the OP I could be wrong but children need to have someone aged 14 upwards with them IIRC. Sorry for the sidetrack.
    jota180, there no problem with 15yo’s. Its 14 and under IIRC.

woody2000

I don’t think they can “force” entry – they can use an open window (not just unlocked, must be open), but picking locks or bashing the door in is not allowed.

martinhutch

Private bailiffs are like vampires, they need to be invited in. This is called ‘peaceful entry’, and once you’ve done it once, they can force their way in on a subsequent occasions.

Being invited in by a child does not count as ‘peaceful entry’, so a private bailiff will have broken the law, and any levy they’ve placed on goods inside the property is invalid.

Certain bailiffs, such as those working for Magistrates Courts and HMRC, can apply for an order for forced entry. Oh, and if you leave the windows or doors unlocked, they are allowed to just come in that way.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

hora, they weren’t my children, not my house. Just trying to help someone out, as friends do.
    Geordie, agreed, but it’s not for me or you to judge how people live their lives. Just trying to help someone in need, whether it’s self inflicted or otherwise.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

pay yer bills and they won’t come knocking…

Yeah? I’ve had bailiffs come round for debts I din’t even owe. I’ve even had to call the police to come and tell them to get lost.

Whilst I’m sure many operate within the law, there’s an awful lot that don’t and use intimidation and threats of violence to get their way. Scum.

wwaswas

Problem is that if they’ve already seized goods they’ll probably move them on fairly quick.

The OP’s freind is going to be struggling to get either the goods or the money back without a solicitor and, one assumes, if they’ve got bailiffs visiting then money might not be available to do that?

martinhutch

Problem is that if they’ve already seized goods they’ll probably move them on fairly quick.

Normally first visit would be a ‘walking possession order’, where they list all your valuables and get you to sign for them. A WPO signed by a 13-year-old isn’t worth much legally, I would guess.

user-removed
    Free Member

There was a Panorama recently with an undercover expose of a really unpleasant baillif – hidden cameras, fake trainee, the lot. He just made scary stuff up on the spot to intimidate ‘clients’.

What woody2000 says about open windows / doors is true.

peachos
    Free Member

what martinhutch said.

they can’t use force – have to be invited. you (presume it is you) don’t have to let them in. some can get a warrant from the courts to gain forceful entry, but very rare.

CAB!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bailiffs, what's the deal?’ is closed to new replies.