Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Bad stack at Lee Quarry today.
  • MadBillMcMad

justme – I know where you mean – yes that area is excellent.
    – are you a rideOn wed night rider – as you refer to the link as 'bogfest'

The link to PBW – 'bogfest' is fine in all but the worst conditions, so it is ok for atleast 10% of the year.

TonyL
    Free Member

We have been offered some money now, still a bit of sorting out to do with the match funding etc but it is looking promising.

Planning applications going in for link from Lee Quarry over to Rooley Moor Road and some purpose built trails in Cragg in the next few days.

List for Lee Quarry so far is a skills area with a pump track, sections to learn how to ride jumps, berms, drop offs safely and with progression. A new black graded section and a new section of red graded xc route. (hoping to get this all built this financial year. Oh and proper signage at last.

Link over the moors to be built next year (after bird breeding season) assuming we get planning permissions etc.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

Moto X bikes there Sunday 🙁

project
    Free Member

The green emergency signs say nearest hospital,Haslingden road Blackburn,and to contact Lancashire county Council to report the accident.

portlyone

The skills area sounds great with those additions

TonyL
    Free Member

We are keen to keep Moto X bikes off there if you see them please report them to local police. If they have plates on please let me or the police have the numbers

TonyL
    Free Member

Back to the guy who crashed, anyone know who or how?

grantway
    Free Member

Good work TonyL very positive

justme
    Free Member

madbill no i dont ride with the rideon lot but i know a some of the lads quite well(mainly from the shop and round and about) that particular name came from leon and it stuck g

Trekster

List for Lee Quarry so far is a skills area with a pump track, sections to learn how to ride jumps, berms, drop offs safely and with progression. A new black graded section and a new section of red graded xc route. (hoping to get this all built this financial year. Oh and proper signage at last.

Sounds great.
    Given my recent experience on Tues I would urge you to have plenty of signage re contacting A&E near ALL danger/potential/recognised accident/incident spots. Visitors in particular may(do)not read signage at the start of a trail/skills area and then the inevitable poor info is relayed to the emergency services creating uneccessary delays 😕
    I would suggest a big white board with the first aid green cross, local ambulance/A&E(need to consult) phone number and OS grid ref.

I presume you have provided plenty of "green/blue" beginners trails ❓
    Something the 7Stanes in their exicitement ommitted in the early stages of it`s development plan. Partly due to the strong voices of us " experienced riders wanting more and more "difficult/challenging" trails.

Consider green/blue before extending black routes. The beginner is your future :mrgreen:

Andituk
    Free Member

Fantastic news! Sounds brilliant.

I love Lee Quarry, LCC have done a great job with it, and more can only be a good thing!

TonyL
    Free Member

We are adding to the skills areas but no blue or green trails for the quarry as its not really suited to that level of riding the exposed nature of the quarry and the climb up in to it put it beyond what we would be happy grading blue or green before we even start.

New signage will be coming soon we did have emergency contact information and location signs dotted around the quarry but the design was not up to the job and they keep breaking. New and improved designs to come soon!

Re flagged out and walked through some of the proposed new sections with Rowan today some great ideas are coming together for more big berms, drop offs and what should be an excellent technical rocky climb.

lowey

Tony.. would be well worth posting a separate thread to get feed back I think mate.

TonyL
    Free Member

I will do, probably do a press release next week re the funding etc and ask for feedback etc as part of that.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I agree with the posts suggesting the link accross to cragg quarry , if we could end up with a decent sized loop that could potentially make the level of riding attraction that would draw people from other areas, raise the profile of the area and potentially bring money in .and it would be nice with some kind of cafe or even food wagon , which again could generate dosh

stumpyjon

I must admit it is sounding rather good. If we can the link across to Cragg I'd use it more (and I'm only 10 mins from the Quarry now).

Maz
    Free Member

Tony,

Thanks for all your efforts building the tracks and good luck with the future plans. A link from Lee Quarry to Rooley Moor Road sound excellent and will make it possible to include the excellent man made tracks with longer rides on the moors.

Has thought been given to co-operating with the owners of the windfarm and United Utilities as well as Bury, Rochdale and Rossendale councils, to publish a MTB map of Scout Moor showing the various access points from each side, making use of the windfarm and United Utilities access roads. Could create an exciting and accessible amenity, but I'm sure there are many access and political issues between the parties, that would get in the way.

Anyway, just a thought, keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Antony

Andituk
    Free Member

Nicked from http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/ :

We have been successful with our various funding bids and have over £500k to send on new mtb trails within the Rossendale area over the next 18months or so. The bulk of the funding £350K is coming from Aggregates Levy.

Planned at the moment for within Lee Quarry are

A new section of red graded xc singletrack with some black options/features this will be between 1km and 1.5km long depending on the final route used which will depend on what can be fitted in with the budget available.

New skills areas/sections which will include

The Drop line
    150m long 3m wide will have three ability levels side by side enabling riders to learn how to ride drops of different sizes and difficulty.

The Berm Track
    180m long 1m wide eleven consecutive berms (and nothing else!)

The Pump Track
    120m long 0.7m wide pump line on a gradient

Black graded progressive skills line
    250m long 1 to 2 m wide rock drops, table tops, rollers, berms all on the same track (i.e. putting everything learnt on the above three tracks in to practice)

Black graded expert line
    250m long 1m wide similar to the line above but with even more challenges.

Pump track
    Figure of eight pump track built on flat section start finish at the same point.

The above should all be finished by April/may this year. This means we will have quite a few extra features to use at the weekender event in July.

Also happening this year should be the work at Cragg Quarry, Rowan Sorrell has put the initial designs together for us and he says “Cragg Quarry deserves to be the jewel in the crown of the whole trail centre project. It has fantastic rolling shapes, ideal to adapt to mountain bikes and its location affords stunning views out over Rossendale and up into the Lakes on a clear day. The new wind farm located on the moor to the back of the quarry actually adds to the character of the ride and provides an interesting backdrop to the trail. The loop in Cragg Quarry will be a packed 4.5km with plenty of contoured bench cuts and sudden feature sections seamlessly linked together into one exciting ride. The trail climbs gently through the quarry just off the route of the Pennine Bridleway. This extra elevation gives riders great views and still throws in a few technical rock features en route, but it is on the return leg, with the overall gradient now working to the rider’s advantage, that the thrills are cranked up a notch. The trail flows, rolling, dipping and rising with berms along its route; it can be tackled gently or attacked head on, making for a physical, but ultimately very rewarding ride due to the views and great features found throughout the quarry site. There are old buildings, inclines and cart tracks all taken in along the route so the rider not only has a great ride but also really gets a feel for the heritage of this site. Rock gardens, rock rolls and slab paving are all incorporated into the trail to make the most of the natural resources and features on site.”

Next financial year we are planning on constructing a bridleway link from Lee Quarry up to Rooley Moor Road, a link over to Facit Quarry and then some mtb trails down through Facit Quarry. Once we have this lot in place that quick half day blast round Lee Quarry can be turned in to a full day out. The idea is to keep it technically challenging with plenty of red/black options.

We are also planning an off road link between Lee Quarry and Gisburn Forest any one fancy a quick lap round Lee Quarry.

Sweet 😀

lowey

That needs its own thread. Exciting stuff!!

grumm
    Free Member

Wow that sounds great! Still haven't been to Lee Quarry – must get over there sometime.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

New plans sound awesome!

As for this:

1, People are not padding up or using Body Armour nore the Correct
    Helmets.
    2, People not having the experiance or confidence

3, People not having the correct bike.

4, People buying bikes that are faster than there confidence

Blimey…

1. You don't need to "pad up" to ride at Lee Quarry. Helmets should be compulsory but obviously that can't be policed. People not padding up aren't the reason for crashes though!

2. Experience and confidence. Lee Quarry is an excellent place to build confidence. OK, you shouldn't really be going there for your first off-road trip but the features it encompasses are excellent. Experience should prevent you from crashing (well, not as often) but you learn by mistakes. We ALL have…

3. People not having the correct bike. What is the correct bike for Lee Quarry? I've seen people on everything from CX bikes, SS XC stylee things, full on XC bikes to 8" travel downhill monsters. There are different parts of the quarry that are more suited to certain bikes. There isn't a wrong bike for Lee Quarry (except a CX bike but they're wrong anywhere!).

4. People buying bikes that are faster than their confidence. Rubbish. You're only as fast as your confidence – if you're not confident, an 8" travel bike isn't going to be much/any quicker than a fully rigid bike on the descents.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Bad stack at Lee Quarry today.’ is closed to new replies.