Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Bad stack at Lee Quarry today.
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hope you are ok fella, you seemed to be in a lot of pain when i spoke to you – understandable with a shattered shoulder!

Hope the trip back to Bradford wasn't too horrible, still think you would have been better off heading to A&E at Haslingden though.

All the best, hope you aren't off the bike for too long. 🙁

TonyL
    Free Member

Any one know who crashed and where? I'm keen to keep track of where people are crashing so that I can have a good look at the spot and to try and figure out whats going wrong and see if anything needs changing. Some times it just happens but I always want to try and make sure the trail is not at fault. Difficult with such a wide range of riders and abilities using the site to keep everyone safe.

Who ever did crash if you are reading this hope you heal soon.

Got some more money to spend on trails in the quarry so any ideas as to what new features you would like to see up there? (can't promise we will build them but if you don't ask!)

wors

what new features you would like to see up there?

a huge windbreak maybe??

TonyL
    Free Member

too many people breaking wind up there already thats half the problem

robgarrioch

(You might have more response in a separate thread TonyL)
    Can't think of much that's not a direct copy from some other trail centre tbh – maybe some flowy mounds on the 1st 'flat' section leading to the berms… or putting some showers in 🙂 The quarry's great, good luck with it.
    & get well soon the unfortunate rider, hope your pride isn't too dented.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Someone pass him Ed-O's email addy… 😉

TonyL
    Free Member

Showers? We put those logs in over the pond instead!

taka
    Free Member

flatten beacup 😉 lee quarryssurroundings are fugly

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don't know who the bloke was and i didn't see him crash but his mate told me it was on one of the black sections down in the centre of the quarry.

I did well today, managed to teach my newbie g/f to ride the second section of berms and roller-coaster section into the skills area 🙂
    Plus, i've just been told my bike coaching courses have been approved (council funding) so i'm going to train for a bike teaching job!

Andituk
    Free Member

Got some more money to spend on trails in the quarry so any ideas as to what new features you would like to see up there? (can't promise we will build them but if you don't ask!)

Some no entry signs would be nice, coming round the top rocky section only to have someone walking their dog the other way could get boring quick.

And a chair lift for that hill please 😀

lowey

A purpose built link to Cragg Quarry, red graded trail in there and then back to Lee.

treefeller
    Free Member

Hello muddydwarf I saw u just as my son and I were setting off.Sorry i didn,t realise how badly that chap in the van was injured. Get well soon. Bye the way TONY L are you ex supermoto who used to hang out at D.C.R,s ?

Trekster

TonyL…..sad fact of life is that the more "features" you build into your trail centre the more injuries you will incur.

Helped out with a guy today at Mabie who fancied a go on the "skills" loop. Crashed, broken arm and possibly ribs. Ambulance, A&E and a probable visit to theatre likely.

There is always going to be someone "challenging" themselves and riding outwith their ability.

All you can do as the 7Stanes sites do is have done a proper risk assessment of all your trails and features. If you would like to standardise your risk assessments get in touch with Andy Hopkins, 7Stanes trail person

taka
    Free Member

anyone up their this sunday?

lev
    Free Member

TonyL, I would like to see a (left hand) drop to a berm off the last third of the Black route into the quarry, which has a table top when you hit the flat, or maybe even a set of them (as your prize for being brave). I'm on about the tech, rocky section, about 20 meters before the steep to log or right hand option.

My other suggestion is about the final run in, before you cross the road. It would be sweet if all three sections had jumps paralleling the singletrack, with an 'expert' lip on one side of the table top. I see a lot of bigger bikes at Lee Quarry, because it is a shortish track, and I think these could be your future audience.

Thanks for making it a cool playground anyway!

stumpyjon

+1 for linking up with Cragg Quarry, I didn't realise how much was already available at Cragg Quarry until Lowey and Graham showed me around up there. All that's misisng is a link between the two quarries and maybe a bit of tidying up in Cragg Quarry. Would certainly counter the criticism that Lee Quarry is good but not worth a journey. Not everyone rides super technical black stuff (although I would concede Lee Quarry is actually more suited than most trail centres for this type of riding).

hora
    Free Member

wors – Member

a huge windbreak maybe??

Genius 😆

MadBillMcMad
    justme
    Free Member

not really but its in the area crag is the one that the pennine bridleway runs trough the bottom of the fun bits are on both sides of pbw
    Its different in nature to lee but can be good fun if you know it g
    email me if you want showing round g

lowey

email me if you want to watch me fall off a lot.

😆

terrahawk
    Free Member

The fabled link from Rooley Moor Road? Still happening?

justme
    Free Member

hopefully TonyL is the man to ask but if it happens lets hope its soon and done in such a way that the crossers wont shread it in days g

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I do hope so, i rode up Rooley Moor on Saturday to Lee Quarry then did a couple of loops around the place before heading home along the road through Whitworth. A proper link to Rooley Moor that doesn't include that god-awful climb from the PBW would be greatly appreciated 😆

terrahawk
    Free Member

that climb is ace!

justme
    Free Member

what climb from the pbw? its downhill thro the bogfest to lee from rooley moor rd g

lowey

slurp!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Build a pump track (or two, or sections that are purely pump-track-esque).

Cheap, inclusive, low risk, fun for all ages, skill improving and fitness challenging.

Oh, and they're the key to world peace 😉

2p

justme
    Free Member

back to op – any idea where and when he did it?
    was in there early doors and there was only one other person who left at same time as me, really quiet
    muddy dwarf no a&e at hassy nearest is blackburn or rochdale if its still there g

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I didn't see him do it.
    My g/f and i were at the start of the 2nd berm section on the red run when they passed us. We had a chat and then they were off.
    We did a little tuition on the berms and the skills area, then she rode back down the green to the gate whilst i shot round the red for a last time.
    When i got to the gate he was walking very slowly down the hill in obvious pain and his mate had brought the transit van up to collect him.
    I told them the nearest A+E dept. was in Haslingden but they were adamant they were going to drive back to Bradford and obtain treatment there.

All i know is that the accident happened on one of the black sections going down into the quarry bottom and that – as the victim stated – it was a pretty fast section 'cos the bike hit him in the back of the head as he smashed into the ground 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

justme – the climb UP the PBW from Rossendale to the top of Rooley Moor was the one i meant. It's a real pig when you have been out for a few hours and live at the bottom of Rooley Moor Rd on the other side of the hill!
    The 10 mile diversion via Whitworth is actually less energy sapping than climbing/pushing up that damned hill – i can ride it in sections but i've never yet managed to ride it all in one go!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

As for the A+E i was going off the notice at the top of the quarry that said (if i recall correctly) the nearest was in Haslingden.

grantway
    Free Member

Pritty simple TonyL

1, People are not padding up or using Body Armour nore the Correct
    Helmets.
    2, People not having the experiance or confidence

3, People not having the correct bike.

4, People buying bikes that are faster than there confidence

You see the idiots in the crash section of magazines showing
    there wounds And then collecting free arm and leg pads.

people just have to make them selves aware what they are riding in/on
    Rocks, Slate steep decents and large roots.

Get the right bike build confidence and get armour and the correct
    Helmet. For the above terrain if a standard full face to much buy the

Specalized Deviant its lighter full face but protects all the face
    This may peeve people of but feed up of sorting you guys out on the trails.

Also for your saftey have some walkie talkies and a First Aid kit and a
    heat reflective blanket and the saftey Whistle!!!!

Sorry guys rather see smiles than breaks cuts and bruises

justme
    Free Member

that needs checking cos theres no hospital in haslingden
    wheres the notice? and i'll look next time i'm there TonyL needs to know if theres wrong info posted g

muddydwarf
    Free Member

There is a notice near the start of the red run at the top of the quarry with emergency info on it – i'm pretty sure it says the nearest A+E is at Haslingden hence my words to the victim.
    I could be wrong however but i suppose it does need checking out.

As for the armour post above, i do wonder why so many ride in a quarry full of sharp rocks and hard stuff then not wear a few pads?

I always wear arm pads at least when riding that sort of stuff.

justme
    Free Member

md if the climb you mean is the steep one up past the scrap yard and over it can be avoided by popping out of the quarry at the very top of fairview (the very highest point)and ride/push over the moors to rooley or if you want to get to the road you can leave the quarry on the obvious trail on your left at the top of the initial climb and either drop to shawforth by going left aat the end of it or if you turn right at the end it takes you to whitworth quarry then drop down past cwm res and onto the railway line and right to heally dell then up to the hamlet and the rdale end of rooley moor rd g

the00
    Free Member

You don't need a trail 'feature' to be able to break yourself. Everything I've seen at Lee was awesome as it is BTW.

hora
    Free Member

Whats a trail feature? Is that like a Fondue set at a dinner party?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I could hurt myself quite badly on the singletrack sections of the red run – especially the drops to the side near the rock garden!
    It's actually more dangerous than we give it credit for and because it has been so well designed to 'flow' we can easily go too fast for our skills/reaction times around there.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Lee Quarry is just up the road from me but i hardly use it, once in the last 12 months. Its just to short, it needs a track accross to Rooley moor or some other way of linking it into the surrounding trails without having to cycle on footpaths.

justme
    Free Member

peregrin if you dont use it funding will not become available to improve links to the other quarries, if its well used we all benefit and lets face it rossy needs all the money it can get
    i do think its well designed around the edge tho as i have never felt i was about to go over the edge (can be a bum clencher in the wind) altho a few people have!!
    the worse looking crash i have seen there was during one of the races just before the cattle grid a guy went over the bars and landed on his head on the bouldery drop on the bend – he road away tho g

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Bad stack at Lee Quarry today.’ is closed to new replies.