Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bad luck at Llandegla – broken bones
  • SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

yep, unfotunately broke my collar bone & wrist there yesterday. Worst thing is I’m due to do Scottish C2C 4 weeks on wednesday.

🙁

forge197
    Free Member

nasty get well soon.

Big stack or silly mistake?

rockitman
    Free Member

It was fast there yesterday. We did 1 1/2 laps of red & black ( 1/2 = up Offa’s Dyke Path & back round the black) in 2hr 50 mins. Quickest we’ve ever done it by miles.

Nearly had a couple of offs though as we were flying. Where’d you come off?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Cheers.

It was on the little black loop with the jumps. it was due to close in 20 mins, so did it twice on our first lap. Thought to myself ‘hey I’m getting the hang of this’ so myself and one other fancied a third. It was half way down, overdid the big camelback jump, landed nose first and straight over the bars – damnit.

loddrik
    Free Member

I know how you feel, I went over bars at CyB nearly 3 months ago and dislocated my shoulder, it doesn’t seem to have gotten a whole lot better over the last 2 months….

orena45

How’s it feel today Steve? At the bottom of that 3rd run, I expected you to be not that far behind so as I climbed back up the fire road and didn’t see you, I thought either you waited a while after me to go down or you’d stacked it. Got back near the top and saw you gingerly walking up and thought ‘oh b*gger’. What’s the expected recovery period?

rOcKeTdOg

crap news, but kinda wipes out the notions from the ‘Degla is too easy/not gnarly enough’ arguers, get well soon

carlphillips
    Free Member

i know what it was…its the dreaded mistake of saying ‘just one more go’ we never ever say that any more its always ‘just 7 more runs’ it keeps the stacking devil at bay..!!!

shinsplints

****taps nose****

Was just thinking the same thing rocketdog

****taps nose****

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Little black loop? Short and parallel/visible from the red? First bit you get too?

shinsplints

Forgot to say though – healing vibes to you. 😀

steveh

Tracker I think the means the original black section which is now the last one you get too. Starts on the bridge and rolls down into a load of jumps. Not very long and to get out of it you go under the bridge and out the back.

orena45

Yeah it was JJ’s Jumps

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Ah right, went there last weekend, loved the swoopy black stuff in the woods but think we missed that bit. Could see how it would not take much to get some of the stuff wrong and hurt yourself.
    Anyway, get well soon Steve

smudge
    Free Member

All the best Steve,
    I broke my wrist up there 5 weeks ago…been out all day and came off within a few 100yds of the car park!!
    Hopefully cast comes off next thursday.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

All the best Steve from all of The Woollybacks.

Get well soon and come out for a mid week ride when your back in the area again.

forge197
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard – knowing when not to do one last run is an skill in itself!!

one of my mates broke his shoulder just doing one last run we had discussed going back but he continued.

I cut a ride short today did 21 or so miles or in but my legs were starting to feel it so so took an easy/safe route back.

Get well soon Steve

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’ve only done Llandegla once and while I did find it ‘easy’ I do agree that the speeds that it lets you pick definitely makes the penalty for crashing pretty high!

hora
    Free Member

Get well soon Steve. Start taking the bone/joint supplement from Holland & Barret asap – glucosomate?

Plus, 4-6 weeks of crap showering (itchy armpit) and crap **** ahead for you 🙁

project
    Free Member

Well you hopefully got a nice ride to Wrexham A and E, and met the nice staff there.

Get well soon.

twohats
    Free Member

Always beware of “easy” trails!

I ruined me and my bike riding a local trail last week that I must have ridden 100s of times, its even doable on my road bike!!!

What can only described as a small depression in the trail had me over the bars at about 30mph, wrecking both wrists, my shoulder, hole in the back of my leg, bruised elbow, badly bruised hip, lots of skin missing from said hip, smashed Giro Xen and split rear mavic rim!

Its amazing what a lapse in concentration does on a previously unnoticeable section of trail…

hora
    Free Member

Twohats, thats one of the reasons why I detest fast, wide open straights. It can lull riders into a false sense of security- yesterday in the Lakes we rode the end of a trail over a very fast section of grassy hillocks- I anchored right on as I thought it would take a very long period of ground/friction/falling to slow down if I came off at that speed! Technical falls tend to be (well for me) at well under a 1/4 of the speed!!!

OP, sorry to lower the tone of the thread OR sound like Dr Ruth. Kneel on the floor facing the edge of your bed/mattress- it’ll help alleviate the boredom 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Coming back from a ride today, which I rode well for a change, turned into our road and misjudged a traffic island. Grabbed a fistful of Hayes 9 front brake with an 8″ rotor and over I went. Crap crash but now my right arm is a wierd cross between sore and numb and the whole right side of my torso is in a world of pain.

You don’t have to be a freeride hero to hurt yourself good-style!

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Cheers for the well wishes guys, and a speedy get well to other injured riders. just off to take my X-rays down to the doc. Just hoping it.s going to be strong enough for C2C 0n 20 May. That gives it just 4 weeks and 5 days, instead of 6 weeks medics say it needs. I figure there must be some safety margin in that, and I generall heal quick.

I was having great fun at Llandegla till I came off. I think the people who knock the place probably go round too slow. It offers little if you potter round. I will be back, just hope this doesn’t knock my confidence too much.

I did get a ride on the Ffestiniog steam train out of it while the others did Penmachno. Wife of one of the guys took me – it was fun.

franki
    Free Member

Get well soon!
    Those jumps caught a riding buddy of mine out too, but he got away with a few scrapes.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Cheers.

I was getting too cocky for my ability I guess, trying to go too fast, and get too much air :(.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

…..kinda wipes out the notions from the ‘Degla is too easy/not gnarly enough’ arguers, get well soon…..

Not really. The worst injury I’ve ever sustained MTBIng happened at no more than walking speed on a pretty simple trail when I was too busy chatting to someone behind me to pay attention to the trail and had a pedal strike against a trail-side tree stump, resorting in a 7″ gouge down my right shin to the bone caused by an SPD pedal.

Hope you get well soon STB, I know how horrible having a broken collar bone can be having had one myself (though not through MTBIng).

markenduro
    Free Member

Steve,
    Do you know anyone with a tamdem that you could borrow for the pub crawl?

I think last week was the week for stupid offs, I was fetched off my bike by a snail on Thursday night, swerved to go round it and put my front wheel onto some moss covered tarmac which I then had a very close look at. That was the last one I ever try to go around, the rest of the slimy gits will get squashed.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Happy hasteful healing Steve 🙂

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Mark

Thinking taxi for the pub crawl. Other option would be to ride with one arm, and stick to the road. seems like a dangerous combination – drunken one arm riding. The ‘off road’ would be too bumpy. Think taxi will be the way.

The most pain I’ve had from my arm was picking up a worm wriggling on a path in the sun, and throwing it onto grass. I found throwing to be non broken collar bone friendly – creatures huh?

Cheers Strato.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bad luck at Llandegla – broken bones’ is closed to new replies.