Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bad design nominations
  • Stoner
    Free Member

If a landrover crank pulley bolt needs to be “torqued to 350Nm, and studlocked” to prevent it coming off, it’s a bad design.

Much cursing.

Some new tools (locking the crank with a tool that sticks under the chassis rail)

Swinging like a gibbon on 5 feet of bar and scaffold

the inevitable broken 1/2″ drive tool. *sighs*

Towed it next door to neighbour’s to try the 1/2″ pneumatic impact wrench and no joy. Currently trying to locate a 3/4″ socket to have a go with the “big gun” but I think Im going to have to put it back together and take it to a garage/tractor workshop/tank factory to have them crack the nut for me.

retro83
    Free Member

Sure it’s not a reverse thread? 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

bastard. you made me go and check! 🙂
    definitely a RH thread….

allthepies
    Free Member

I would have lol’d 🙂

matt_outandabout

About 80% of the doors in public places. WHY would you put a pull handle on a door that you can only push?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Scissors packaging

parkesie
    Free Member

3/4 drive always gets them undone.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The handbrake lever / cupholder interface in a Ford S-max.

Only allows drinks access to the cupholder when the handbrake is disengaged.
    Totally inaccesible when you might actually want to use the thing i.e. when you are stopped , with the handbrake on

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

WHY would you put a pull handle on a door that you can only push?

Otherwise you’d only be able to push it* 😉

* unless you mean swing-doors

hols2
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Handbrake and armrest in Seat Ibiza.

maccruiskeen

About 80% of the doors in public places. WHY would you put a pull handle on a door that you can only push?

They have a name – they’re called ‘Norman Doors’

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY96hTb8WgI[/video]

Named after Don Norman who wrote a ground-breaking book on intuitive design after spending a year in England being frustrated by how badly designed everything is 🙂

matt_outandabout

^THAT

leffeboy

This site on mobile. It’s 2017 but we still need two clicks to get to the last post on a thread, something that you do most of the time :(. We don’t ever want to go directly to page 3, 7 and 15. It’s first and last pages – simples

jekkyl

Toilet seats that don’t stay up.
    Forcing men to either wee like a woman or attempt the act one handed and risk making a right mess of the floor!

maccruiskeen

^THAT

Its a double whammy really – having a pull handle on you door you need to push to open- tends to be augmented with a label saying ‘PUSH’ – or usually

P
    U
    S
    H

however we tend to read the size and shapes of words rather the letters and

P
    U
    S
    H

and

P
    U
    L
    L

look so similar they do pretty much nothing to help.

My favourite yesterday was two pairs of double glass doors creating the ‘airlock’ at the entrance to a service station

One set is automatic and slides
    the second set is manual and swings

So people going one way would walk through the automatic set and stop in front of the manual ones expecting them to open

People going the other way would go through the swing doors then instinctively try and push the sliding doors before they had time to move.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Midget rear hubs have a similarly daft torque (140ftlb). Broke my 1/2″ driver getting it off.

Debatable what it achieves though, if over time the lockwasher relaxes the lockwasher tab shears, your buggered.

And just to mess with your head, one side is left handed.

http://www.mg-cars.info/mg-midget-sprite-technical-bbs/rear-axle-big-nut-torque-2014102619511815122.htm

Junkyard
    Free Member

citroen xantia clutch cable attachment

Short bolt that can be removed – but its attached the other way so you need to withdraw it towards the other two pedals , which also need to be removed, to get it out.

Citroen c15 van. Starter motor bolts can be undone but wont withdraw without hitting the radiator so the entire front end has to come off to get th ebolts out

Actually just Citroens

maccruiskeen

Theres a cafe in glasgow where they’ve placed the urinal in the gents so close to the door that the opening door hits the shoulder of the person pissing and turns them round to piss down the leg of the person entering the room.

maccruiskeen

If find in most cars / van the cup holder is very indicative of what the rest of the ownership experience is going to be like. If they can cock up something that easy and that visible imagine what the stuff you can’t see is like.

The last generation of transits had more cup-holders than you could shake a stick at – non of them quite – one to the right of the steering wheel didn’t hold standard sized drinks cans – they just sort of sat on top, but drinks bottles would topple out of them, one was in a flip over table in the middle of the dash (which was usually broken anyway) – smaller coffee cups would just fall straight through it and throw coffee over the radio.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Cathay Pacific business class seat is practically perfect, however, there’s a tiny flaw. There is a little cupboard, and it has this notice on it…..

on the INSIDE of the door.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Golf Mk 4 rear wiper/squirter. Not only for the unit itself – “Let’s make it more complex, lets put the pipe THROUGH the spindle.”

But also (and mostly) because WHEN it fails, it piddles all over the rear boot lock mechanism, knacking that up, too.

And the window lifters. Why so tiny? Why so brittle?

And airport traffic “systems”. “Ooops! dropped the spaghetti all over the car park and access plans! Hey… Wait a minute! That looks great!”

Also Nokia PCSuite.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

And while I’m at it, USB ports and cables.

And most teapots.

Pretty much most of Ebay’s interface.

And Telford. How the hell can you make such a pigs ear of the road network if you start with a blank(ish) piece of paper?

maccruiskeen

There is a little cupboard, and it has this notice on it…..

I’m sure someone will be along in a while to let you out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The last generation of transits had more cup-holders than you could shake a stick at – non of them quite – one to the right of the steering wheel didn’t hold standard sized drinks cans – they just sort of sat on top, but drinks bottles would topple out of them, one was in a flip over table in the middle of the dash (which was usually broken anyway) – smaller coffee cups would just fall straight through it and throw coffee over the radio.[list]

And why is the handbrake so low I put my back out reaching for it?

Not only did I have no coffee (and therefore grumpy) becasuse it kumped out of the one by the steering wheel, I then had to put up with the lovely smell of fresh coffee from the door well the whole way to Birmingham, and my back was killing me.

How can someone f*** up the ergonomics of a van that badly?

To be fair if I have a cup that fits, and it’s just a long motorway drive it’s great and I arrive fresh as a daisy. But round town with a travel mug it’s just awful.

tallmart10

Facebook

ulysse
    Free Member

Citroen c15 van. Starter motor bolts can be undone but wont withdraw without hitting the radiator so the entire front end has to come off to get th ebolts out

????

Air filter out, battery out, crack 13mm main wire, crack 8mm solenoid wire, H8 allen socket preferably 50mm long, 3/8th drive, top 2 bolts out, move wiring holder up, bottom one out, lift upwards at an angle, 15 minutes in and out!

chewkw
    Free Member

Riveted wok … 😡

bails

But also (and mostly) because WHEN it fails, it piddles all over the rear boot lock mechanism, knacking that up, too.

I can’t remember which car it was (possibly a focus) but they had problems with a tiny 0.05p rubber seal on the front screen washers. It would fail and leak a little bit of washer fluid. Not a huge problem in itself, but it was right above the spark plugs so it would collect in/above the threads and corrode the spark plugs/top of the engine so the plugs couldn’t come out. Had to remove the top of the engine and unscrew the plugs from the bottom or chuck the lot and replace it. For the sake of a tiny, cheap bit of rubber.

jca

Wall-mounted bottle openers in premier inns which are always above a shelf preventing a normal sized bottle of beer fitting underneath…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Communal stainless steel urinals that have been polished to a mirror finish.

It’s hard enough to get a piss going when you’re rubbing shoulders but when you’re got a reflection of six or seven
    dicks and the odd bollock, it’s nigh on impossible.

sobriety
    Free Member

Stage fright is a terrible thing.

kayak23

Public toilet doors, in that they always tend to open inwards.

You can be as fastidious a hand cleaner as you like, but you’ve still got to use the door handle that a hundred dirty gets who didn’t wash their hands have used.

If only they’d open outwards I could use me foot.
    😕

P-Jay
    Free Member

My glass hob which makes it all too easy to heat the controls to white hot so you can’t turn the thing that’s making too hot to turn off.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nortel/Kapsch BTS8000 RF output cable position, something like a 27 or 32 mm nut on the RF connector so that ham fisted idiots as they tighten it smack the large spanner into the tiny 8mm brass connectors for the low power side which is too close, bending and cracking them.

Same BTS has some power connectors secured with tiny flat head screws that you cannot get at as the moulded connector sweeps over the screw obscuring it. God knows how it gets tightened in the factory without chewing it to smithereens.

Alcatel 1511BA craft terminal software, clunky, much modified and when it gets stuck defaults to Italian.

Radio monopole masts with “click fit pegs” to leave the pole looking cleaning when it’s not being climbed. Truly horrible climbing and fitting pegs, especially new pegs covered in paint that really don’t want to fit onto the studs.

The interface board fitted to Saft battery chargers we use. It’s supposed to be hot swappable BUT as muggins found out in the real world it blips the output enough to shutdown and restart a whole telecoms core node, blacking out safety critical comms/signalling over a large area. Oh I was a popular man that night.

joat

kayak23 – Member
    Public toilet doors, in that they always tend to open inwards.

You can be as fastidious a hand cleaner as you like, but you’ve still got to use the door handle that a hundred dirty gets who didn’t wash their hands have used.

I hold the very top of the handle;
    Dirty gits hold the middle because they aren’t thinking about germs.

Murray

UK electoral system?

Rich_s

HSBC online banking. I mean, just how the hell was it “designed?”

Stoner
    Free Member

hey, kayak, this is a thing I saw in a pub bog once!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bad design nominations’ is closed to new replies.