Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Bad accident in Macc forest
  • mtb_matt
    Free Member

I just heard from my father in law that someone had a bad accident in Macc forest recently. Apparently he went over the handle bars and hit his head against a stone wall. He is now paralysed and in spine injury unit, although has regained some feeling in his legs. Too early to say what the long term prognosis is.

Be careful out there.

Matt

brant
    Free Member

Be careful out there.

What would you suggest?

Jellybaby
    Free Member

Thats real tough – what do you say to that?

Reality check! brings back to perspective just how dangerous this sport can be.

It'll be a long recovery but really hope he gets his feeling back x

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I'm inclined to agree with TJ on this one.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Some people bring this to our attention so as to just possibly remind us to take care of ourselves and more importantly our mtbing buddies whilst out there playing like kids again. Stuff will always happen but maybe we all get just a bit cocky at times.

brant
    Free Member

A bloke was killed by a wall whilst sledging in Macclesfield Forest too.

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/news/s/510418_young_man_killed_in_sledging_accident

Jellybaby
    Free Member

C'mon guys i know accidents can happen to anyone at any time (sport or no sport) but i doubt mtbmatt literally meant 'be careful' but just take a moment to reflect on what we put ourselves through each ride 🙂

brant
    Free Member

I don't really know…

Thoughts through my head when I read this:-

glad it wasn't me
    that could have been me
    i want to go for a ride down some steps again
    my arm hurts

I'm currently off the bike due to a collarbone break 46days ago at a DH test day. Can't wait to get back on it.

brant
    Free Member

just take a moment to reflect on what we put ourselves through each ride

I always endeavour to stay on the bike, and not go over the handlebars.

higgo
    Free Member

I always endeavour to stay on the bike, and not go over the handlebars.

Me too. And I ride in Macc Forest a lot.

duntstick
    Free Member

What would you suggest?

🙄

I think it can be too easy to get caught up in the I'm invincible, I've seen kids on the internet doing backflips so I must be able to do that 4ft drop way of thinking.

Very few of us ride every day, honing our skills to perfection and modern bikery can help us to believe we are more capable than we are.

Cautionary words based on real stories are just as relevant as tales of biking heroics.

brant
    Free Member

I've seen kids on the internet doing backflips so I must be able to do that 4ft drop way of thinking.

Well, maybe he was doing a 4ft drop, but it sounded like he just hit his head on a stone wall…

Brycey
    Free Member

On the DH track does anyone know?

higgo
    Free Member

Be careful out there

Anyone else wish Hill Street Blues was back on TV?

radoggair
    Free Member

I'm inclined to agree with TJ on this one.

😛

comment of the day

RepacK
    Free Member

Why are people bitching like little kids when all someone has done is post a warning about the dangers of our sport?! Nobody is trying to stop anyone from having a good time.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

[quoteRepacK – Member
    Why are people bitching like little kids when all someone has done is post a warning about the dangers of our sport?! Nobody is trying to stop anyone from having a good time[/quote]

+1 can't stop people on here being arseholes though!

Hope the guy recovers, wonder if he was wearing a helmet?

No body is invincible, me included as I am recovering from a broken collar bone, also have to get insurance before I am allowed back on my bike.

jedi

whoever it was, healing vibes.
    riding offroad is not a fluffy cotton wool world 🙂

brant
    Free Member

wonder if he was wearing a helmet?

paralysis? spinal injury? avoided by wearing a helmet??

riding offroad is not a fluffy cotton wool world

+1!

kaesae
    Free Member

Everyone could do with being reminded to be careful and to wear as much armour as is necessary.

My mate who's a good DH rider, landed a tiny jump on a BMX track wrong and ended up hitting his face/head without his helmet on. He had dizzy spells and memory loss for about a year afterwards.

Is the sport dangerous, yes, is life sh1t without riding, oh yes again.

Everything in life has risks, simple fact is what would any of our lives be like without the constant good times riding brings us?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Brycey – Member
    On the DH track does anyone know?

Unlikely, there's no Walls to speak of on the course really. Possibly charity lane, or maybe the chute down to the road near the church? Either way it's just an unfortunate accident

M6TTF
    Free Member

How recent are we talking? Someone did venture onto the dh course a while back and fractured his neck going over the bars, but I'm led to believe he was lucky and would make a full recovery. He wasn't wearing a full face lid and shouldn't have been where he was

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Nice people, nice replies…… Others bait hook, cast and await bite !Its a fourum and some love to fish. Brant…Thanks for all the stuff you gave to SSEC 2010 it was so kind of you.

higgo
    Free Member

I just heard from my father in law that someone had a bad accident in Macc forest recently. Apparently he went over the handle bars and hit his head against a stone wall. He is now paralysed and in spine injury unit, although has regained some feeling in his legs. Too early to say what the long term prognosis is.

How recent are we talking? Someone did venture onto the dh course a while back and fractured his neck going over the bars, but I'm led to believe he was lucky and would make a full recovery. He wasn't wearing a full face lid and shouldn't have been where he was

Don't let the facts spoil a good story.

duckers
    Free Member

Maybe some of kaesae's super high quality bearings would have prevented the accident from happening.

kaesae
    Free Member

Duckers
    Last paragraph on the page.

However, where bearings are to operate at very low speeds and good protection against contamination and corrosion is required, it is advisable to fill the housing completely with grease.

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1&lang=en&newlink=1_0_102

That will be the 100% pregrease the bearings or not argument settled.

As for will my bearings save people from going over the handle bars? I would love to see you pedal as fast as you can then pull the front brake to find out.

jedi

wtf?/ bearings??

kaesae
    Free Member

Apologies having a go at duckers.

No more bearing outbusts.

Pierre

(oh don't let us get started on bearings again…)

paralysis? spinal injury? avoided by wearing a helmet??

Helmet absorbs some of the impact force; spinal injury can be caused by the impact force being transferred down the spine from head impact. A helmet wouldn't have protected his back, but they can help mitigate _some_ level of some injury.

That's why I wear one and advise other people to. It's their choice whether they do or not.

: P

higgo
    Free Member

It is a scientifically proven fact* that I would be dead now if it weren't for my helmet. But (a) it was a road bike crash and (b) it was in the Goyt Valley, not Macc Forest.

(*or guess)

I did once have a Superstars brake pad come off its backing in Macc Forest.

I have used Conti Vert Pros in Macc Forest.

I have never taken Picolax but have (while running) had to go for an emergency trail poo in Macc Forest. It was by a dry stone wall but I didn't bang my head.

pitduck
    Free Member

i like bearing outbursts 😆

BadlyWiredDog

There's a certain culture on one of the outdoors sites where approximately one third of the new stories are along the lines of…. 'Climber critical after fall', 'Walker rescued after broken ankle', 'Kayaker savaged by ostrich', 'Mountaineer's skull fractured by falling bearing'etc, ad nauseum.

Traditionally climbers like to pretend that reading about other people's accidents somehow means the same thing is less likely to happen to them – if you see a stroppy looking ostrich on the route, back off… – but I find it endlessly depressing and just lazy journalism and frankly, boring.

Occasionally it makes sense, if there's a massive avalanche risk for example, but reading about endless climbing and walking accidents that are basically unfortunate slips or due to rockfall or whatever, doesn't seem to anyone's benefit unless you find it entertaining in a grizzly sort of way, which I don't.

bassspine
    Free Member

Joxster
    Free Member

My Girlfriend is a nurse and one of her patients is paralyzed from the waist down from getting it wrong at Innerleithen. I know how close I've been to 'getting it wrong' on quick a few occasions, but I've lived my life in a 'live fast, die young' attitude.

kaesae
    Free Member

I think mentioning and discussing accidents is a good thing if it raises awareness for it happening and provides any useful tips or ideas.

I think the problem could be avoided or if the accidents occur the effect could be minimalized.

Firstly proper preparation of the rider, strengthening of certain muscles along the back especially in the lower back to prevent long term damage to the nerves, vertebrae or discs, it would also limit any damage being done. A lot of riders have lower back problems or injuries, some sudden, some long term like sciatica and similar nerve damage that could be avoided.

Secondly warming up properly with stretching and other suitable exercises to ensure that muscles and connective tissues are as flexible and also ready for the activity as possible, to reduce the likely hood of tearing and other damage.

Thirdly the right kind of armour for the situation, if your doing DH or freeride the full armour regardless if it's your last run or you've had a few beers. Shinnes, glasses for flies what ever the situation requires.

Fourthly proper maintenance of the bike and spot checks before you go for the days ride.

Fifthly having some common sense and truthfulness about your level of skill and talent and just how competent a rider you are in general.

All comes down to awareness and being bothered to do it though.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

A guy at work got paralysed from the neck down I think on the final descent at cwmcarn xc. nasty stuff.

jesus this is making me feel sick

get well soon whoever the rider is I hope to god it turns out better than it appears

As for the rest its worth bearing in mind that if you pray for the rain you gotta play in the mud sometimes, nasty but true unfortunately. Look at Mattie Leikhonen, or Tara L and they are some of the best riders in the world. Safe trails

zaskar
    Free Member

Well mtb_matt is just saying look after yourselves.

Nothing more or wrong with that.

At least he didn't spit the dummy like some of the above.

Hope the chap recovers-it must be hell.

glenncampbell

Zaskar + 1.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yeah stuff happens! So what ? I think we're all keenly aware that mountain biking involves danger – I certainly bear enough scars and mended bones – but any time an injury happens, my first thought is about how long it will prevent me from riding. I'm more interested in living to the full than being safe. I figure the risk is acceptable, given the fun and other benefits of riding. I feel sympathy for those that get hurt, but it doesn't influence my actions.

I think kaesae's ideas about strengthening the body are far fetched 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bad accident in Macc forest’ is closed to new replies.