Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Backwards High Rollers
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Does anyone run a Highroller on the rear of their bike, but installed in the opposite direction to the rotation arrows?

Does this offer more climbing/braking grip with an increased bit of rolling resistance?

mandog

I do that to get a bit more wear out of them after i've run them the other way.

steve_b77
    Free Member

A quality if somewhat useless answer

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I realised I'd done this by accident. I can't compare this to how they are the right way round, as I'm too lazy to change them.

They don't ride badly though if that's any help

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers bikemonkey 🙄

bobster
    Free Member

I once did this by mistake, having read that it gave better grip, I left it like it for the ride to see what it would be like.

Yes, it does give slightly better grip, really noticeable on climbs – BUT, it doesn't roll as well, really noticeable on smooth bits and when using linking roads. Less so in the singletrack, but still felt a little odd. I put it back to normal afterwards.

mudhound
    Free Member

ran supertacky dual ply ones with back reversed in Alps a few years ago – extra braking yes, with 700gram DH tubes and 1.2 to 1.3kg tyres I didn't do much climbing! maximum rolling resistance

DT78
    Free Member

I do it because I like to have the maxxis logo on both sides of the bike……

Lol – it gives a bit more braking I find, and a little more drag. I have an old set of 2.5 single plys on my 6" trail bike.

james
    Free Member

"with back reversed in Alps a few years ago – extra braking yes"

"I do it because I like to have the maxxis logo on both sides of the bike….."

Eh? I thought high rollers were supposed to normally both face so the ramps are on the forward edge? Paddle-like-surface gives braking surface, but roll on and climbing traction provided onky by the ramps? Vice versa other way around

MrOvershoot

That would be how I see the tread working too James?

mudhound
    Free Member

try running your hand/fingers across the tread both ways following the tread?

reverses does give more stopping power on steep stuff but lots more rolling resistance on flats and ups

pinches
    Free Member

i know people that do it because it "gives more grip" infact, i've done it myself, although with Michelin DH16s which are effectively the same pattern.

Although, it simply isn't worth the drag it causes IMO. I run a high roller on the front with the arrows the right way, and a larsen TT on the back

james
    Free Member

"reverses does give more stopping power on steep stuff but lots more rolling resistance on flats and ups"
    How does it give more stopping power? You're using ramps instead of 'paddles' to brake with surely?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Wrong way for the front, i.e. with the ramped side of the central knob facing to the back. It gives more braking power (if you look at the tyre it's obvious why).

On the back you'll notice a difference in the climbing traction if you run them back to front. I can't say that I've noticed a difference in the drag to be honest but I'm not that sensitive.

I do think that you can feel the improvement in braking if you run them back to front though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother TBH get a Larson on the back loads less rolling resistance and not a massive loss of grip. Yet to try it in REALLY muddy conditions but it has been fine so far in the summer mud. I havnt not made a climb because of the tyre yet. Same cant be said about nevegals tho.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Larsen is a great back tyre but is a bit sketchy in the wet, especially on rocks and roots. Talking about backwards/forwards, I notice a MASSIVE difference in my Larsen depending which way it's on.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I poo-poo'd the whole better grip thing for ages as well. As others have said, you would think the big flat surfaces would slow you down better than the ramps.

However, having tried a backwards one on the back I do think you get more grip. My theory is, as the tyre rolls the sharp corner of the flat surface digs in more, thus getting more grip than the angled surface of the ramped side would.

scruff
    Free Member

Yeh withclimbing, but as doug says when braking all your weight is up front so shirley reversing the front one is more better, it would also not matter as much regarding drag.

hora
    Free Member

Again ask a question on STW and you get silly answers above. If you run a high roller backwards the spinning spells out the name of the devil

adstick
    Free Member

There's a lot of confusion on this thread. If you use a High Roller backwards on the rear it may grip better when climbing but it will decrease braking performance and add rolling resistance. You definitely don't want to use them backwards on the front…

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

My backwards one is on the back of my dh bike – which obviously doesn't do any climbing.

As I said, it doesn't make sense, but everyone who has tried it that I've spoken to has liked it.

Ben_mw

"Back in the day" I'm sure there were more front/rear specific tyres available (Smoke/Dart etc), but others were often marked as to which way to mount them depending on whether they were going at the front or back, basically you can find some sort of arrow in the tread pattern itself which you would point backwards at the rear, and forwards at the front. I 'spose the thinking was for traction at the back and steering/braking at the front. I still set all my tyres up like this. At the minute I've a Kenda Nevegal on the back, which technically is the wrong way round, and a few of the folk I ride with use these tyres, all the "correct" way round. Maybe I'm just wrong, but I'm sure there is more traction to be had like this, but I might try doing it properly, just in case I'm being an idiot!

james
    Free Member

"with the ramped side of the central knob facing to the back. It gives more braking power (if you look at the tyre it's obvious why)"

No, not to me

So, which way is the correct way round and which way is the wrong way around? Pics? (I'm not able to get to my high rollers to check)

Or do you get more braking traction from the ramp because its got more contct with the ground than the paddle-like-surface?
    If this is so then surely this only works in certain conditions, ie harder, smoother terrain, and when it gets muddy/rooty then the paddlesshould hook up better under braking?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Bloody hell waht a response, shame alot of them are about the front tyre when I asked about the rear 🙄

Guess I'll just leave it the way it is, then again I might try it t'other way round.

Probabl fit a Larsen or an advantage to the back when the high roller wears out/I get bored with that combo.

Defo sticking with the Maxxpro 2.35" on the front though, might get a kevlar jobbie over the wire one on there, should shed a couple of g's*

(post edit * after checking Maxxis' website is the expenditure really worth 85g's, don't think so)

twohats
    Free Member

At the minute I've a Kenda Nevegal on the back, which technically is the wrong way round, and a few of the folk I ride with use these tyres, all the "correct" way round. Maybe I'm just wrong, but I'm sure there is more traction to be had like this, but I might try doing it properly, just in case I'm being an idiot!

I used to run my rear Nevegal like that thinking I'd get more climbing traction. I then swapped it to run the right way round and found it made sod all difference!

MrOvershoot

Still to be convinced how running them round the wrong way would give you greater braking grip?
    Reversing the rear would give you greater traction under power as the sharp edge is presented to the ground at the rear of the tread, but if you put it back the indicated way round the sharp edge is to the front so digs in under braking.
    I think some people are looking at the tread from above.. lift the wheel above your head and now see how the tread is approaching the ground!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I checked yesterday and I'd got mixed up about what's "the right way"! I've got DH HR's on and the "right way" presents the non-ramped edge, i.e. the sharp edge, to the direction of travel. That's best for braking as it digs in more.

BUT on my Larsen TT the direction arrow presents the ramped side to the front. That's best for rear wheel traction but I've found is poor for braking.

I don't check the arrows, hence how I got it wrong, but always put the non-ramped edge forward (when looking at the bottom of the tyre) because I want better braking, albeit at the cost of climbing grip. I have tried reversing the rear and it definitely gives better climbing traction but it also definitely reduces the rear wheel grip under braking. I didn't feel any effects on resistance but I'm not that sensitive.

So, in answer to the OP. Yes, some people do reverse the rear. If you check the bottom of the tyre and it has the sharp edges forward then that's best for braking. If it has the ramped edges forward then that's best for traction and probably rolling resistance.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Backwards High Rollers’ is closed to new replies.