Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Backpacking tents
  • dropoff

Just interested to see what everyone else is using and how they rate their tents. Currently we use a Terra Nova Solar, which we can’t fault but it is a tad small for two so we’re looking at the Solar 2.2. Has anyone got one and how does it perform ? or is there anything else we should be looking at ?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

TNF Tadpole 23

Highly recommended – easy to pitch, light, roomy enough for 2 and lots of storage space (massive bell-end…). Also rock solid when it’s pegged out.

dropoff

Hi Stu. I would agree that the tadpole is extremely stable for a tent of that weight (we used to have a voyager which is similar) but we always struggle to cook in that style of tent.

Ti29er
    Free Member

TN Voyager. Bomb proof. Had it 10 years and trekked all over the world. Heavier than yours, but for multi days out on the hill, it’s worth the extra comfort and more space.
    Tim

beamers

I have a Solar 2 (the same as the solar 2.2 but with just the one door instead of 2).

I’ve used it quite a few times on the KIMM / OMM mountain marathon and I can not fault it. Light. easy to put up, large enough for 2 large people and able to withstand outrageously bad weather with ease.

I’d buy it again without a shadow of a doubt.

And its made in Derbyshire.

matt_outandabout

My 15 year old Macpac Minaret has been faultless – taken all sorts of awful (and good) weather. Silly amount of use (first year = 100 days under canvas…)

andym
    Free Member

TerraNova LaserLarge here. Bought it as a reaction to my current solo tent which is a wee bit on the small side. Huge amounts of space for the weight – LaserLarge 3 might be worth considering.

Smee
    Free Member

dropoff – sorry to be abrupt, but if you have ever seen a tent go up due to some idiot cooking inside it you would understand.

I saw one go up in flames at the Kimm in 2006 – the folk inside survived but stayed in hospital for around a year.

[abuse removed – Mod]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a wild country trisar. 20 yrs old and used a lot. very robust but a tad heavy. The ones they make under that name are not quite the same as ours and are a lot cheaper than they were.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – huh? how else do you cook in foul weather – you cook in the porchway of the tent. I have always done this. You are offensive and an idiot yourself

kennyp
    Free Member

I won’t be quite as abrupt as Smee, but he does have a point. Not cooking inside the tent is about as basic a rule of camping as it’s possible to get. Just don’t. Ever.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rubbish. Utter tripe.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – Pot – Kettle – Black.

Cooking in incliment weather is done in the lee of the tent.

Only an idiot would light a stove inside a tent.

grumm
    Free Member

As well as the risk of setting the tent on fire – isn’t there a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning? Think some mountaineers have died this way.

I would have though the porch is ok though as its ventilated – I have done this before with no problem.

I have a Wild Country Trisar from about 15 years ago too – seems very solid but as you say a little heavy.

matt_outandabout

I am an idiot then.

on a good few occasions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So are most mountaineers then matt. Its like saying a few MTBers have injured themselves at Glentress so no one should ride there.

IIRC Matt is a highly qualified outdoor education instructor

nickname
    Free Member

Macpac Minaret: Spacious, comfy and bombproof! Usually use this for any kind of base-camp. I wouldn’t carry it if I was backpacking on my own as it doesn’t pack down too small – fine for 2 people though if you split the gear.

Terra Nova Laser Competition – Light, light and more light! I love this tent and use it when I’m out on my own. It’s got a perfect size porch for all my kit, handles the elements pretty well, packs down into nothing and weights nothing 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – explain your analogy.

Just because he is qualified to a high level doesn’t mean that he is an expert in how tents go up in flames. Dont think that is in any of the ML, WML, MIA or MIC course materials

matt_outandabout

In bad weather, it is safer (IMO) to have a nice warm meal / brew before heading to bed or out for a day, and have to cook in a porch/tent entrance; than to try and light a stove outside in a howling gale/rain/ice/snow/etc, fail, get wet, cold and not bother with the energy/heat/meal/brew/encouragement you would get from the meal.

I regularly cooked in tent entrances in bad weather – including on an ML assessment, where no-one else had a proper brew at bed, or a proper hot/big breakfast. Next day it was easy to spot who had eaten/cooked (all of us, including assessor in the porch/tent entrance). It was also easy to see who hadn’t eaten – they were the reason the assessment was cut short, and they failed/deferred.

matt_outandabout

Smee – Member
    Dont think that is in any of the ML, WML, MIA or MIC course materials

Actually, I have seen 3 tent fires.

You also need to check your ML syllabus – camp craft is a skill trained and assessed.

Smee
    Free Member

I have been camping in most areas of the planet in all weathers for around 18 years now and have never failed to get a stove to light.

If your ML assessor is having to resort to doing it then he shouldn’t be assessing folk at any level.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The only way your tent can go up in flames if is there is a major failure of the stove or you do something very stupid. How on earth do you think high altitude mountaineers, polar explorers and the like manage to cook?

Lighting the stove is the most dangerous part. I lie in the tent and light the stove just outside the doorway with the door open. The stove is then pulled into the doorway / porch are with the zips still open. fumes go out of the open door, the flame is stable out of the wind, the stuff cooks ewasily because its sheltered. Its perfectly safe.

I am talking of course about real mountaineering kit and real mountaineers – not weekend wannabees with /Argos kit.

Honestly – I have heard some stupid things on this forum but this one is one of the most idiotic ever.

I have camped in conditions where a stove would not work (except perhaps a trangia) out of the tent at all. Try to find the lee of the tent in a force 8 gale.

Just because some people are not competent or their kit is faulty does not mean a competent person with quality kit cannot do something.

You done your winter mountain leader?

I can willywave more than you too – only 35 yrs experience of backpacking summer and winter from the Highlands of Scotland to the Andes

druidh
    Free Member

Eric Langmuir: “Mountaincraft and Leadership”

“Experience in using stoves is essential before going off on expedition when they may have to be lit and used within tents and shelter”

That’s the from the ML Bible.

Smee
    Free Member

The only way your tent can go up in flames if is there is a major failure of the stove or you do something very stupid. How on earth do you think high altitude mountaineers, polar explorers and the like manage to cook?

So you can predict when a stove will fail can you? That is very clever indeed. What are wednesday nights lottery numbers? You can also guarantee that your frozen fumbling hands will not knock the stove over? Good skills. You also know that your stove fuel is 100% pure and will never flare? Where do I buy some of that?

Lighting the stove is the most dangerous part. I lie in the tent and light the stove just outside the doorway with the door open. The stove is then pulled into the doorway / porch are with the zips still open. fumes go out of the open door, the flame is stable out of the wind, the stuff cooks ewasily because its sheltered. Its perfectly safe.

So you light a stove in strong wind knowing that it will flare. What happens if the wind direction changes? What happens if a gust flattens the tent?

I am talking of course about real mountaineering kit and real mountaineers – not weekend wannabees with /Argos kit.

I have had a 12 guy lined, internal guyed, Trango 3.1 flatten in a gust – doesn’t matter how good your kit is – it will still go up in flames.

Honestly – I have heard some stupid things on this forum but this one is one of the most idiotic ever.

Do you not read the drivel that you post?

I have camped in conditions where a stove would not work (except perhaps a trangia) out of the tent at all. Try to find the lee of the tent in a force 8 gale.
    Stoves always work – if you know how to work them. Crap kit/user incompetence perhaps?

Just because some people are not competent or their kit is faulty does not mean a competent person with quality kit cannot do something.

Every bit of kit fails sometime or another and everyone makes mistakes.

You done your winter mountain leader?

Yes.

Have you?

Druidh – couldn’t care less what that book says. Lighting and using stoves inside a tent is stupid.

matt_outandabout

smee – I think this is the rest of the chip from your shoulder

*hands over some wood*

*leaves thread*

druidh
    Free Member

Smee – Member

Druidh – couldn’t care less what that book says. Lighting and using stoves inside a tent is stupid.

Ha ha ha! Get a grip of yourself.

druidh
    Free Member

oh – you already have 😯

Smee
    Free Member

So highlighting a safety issue and defending that position is having a chip on your shoulder….

Oh well – bring on the chips.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*joins Matt*

druidh
    Free Member

Any more of the ML manual you want to re-write? I’m sure they’re just waiting to hear from you.

Give up before you make yourself more of a laughing stock than you already have.

[Enough arguing, can we get back to the question raised by the OP or a lot of the posts on here will be removed] – Mod

Smee
    Free Member

Druidh – In order for you to come to the conclusion that i’m making a laughing stock of myself you must think that lighting and using stoves in a tent is 100% safe. Care to explain how, in that case, Matt has seen three tent fires and I have seen another?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – read the advice contained in Druidhs post.

db

On the tent front I would go for a Golite Shangri-La 3. Great tent handles all kinds of weather. http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product348.asp

ps – I have open fires in my tents but they are lavvu’s so kind of designed for it!

pps – only ever camped in this country 🙁

db

druidh
    Free Member

The requirement for sheltered cooking very much drives my choice of tent design. I much prefer one with a longitudinal porch. This usually means sufficient space for some storage, an exit path and a small, safe cooking area. Those with a small porch at one end can result in having to cook in a very confined space, and there’s no exit past any accident. I was always taught to leave an open pen-knife by the “rear” of the tent to allow for a makeshift “emergency exit”.

So – A Solar over a Tadpole.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Any more of the ML manual you want to re-write? I’m sure they’re just waiting to hear from you.

Give up before you make yourself more of a laughing stock than you already have.

[Enough arguing, can we get back to the question raised by the OP or a lot of the posts on here will be removed] – Mod

I could go thru it line by line and rebut it very easily. However you have your opinion and I have mine. You are not going to change your mind. I shall continue to follow the sensible advice as written by Eric Langmuir: “Mountaincraft and Leadership”

I think others who read this thread have enough information to make their own mind up.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I solo everywhere, so being safe is paramount to a successful trip.
    If conditions are so poor so as not to be able to cook in either the porch or better still, safely outside, then there’s always tomorrow’s lunch of chocolate etc that can be eaten in the tent and move meal times about as best you can.
    My £0.01 worth. And no, I’ve only done the Summer certificate some 25+ years ago.
    Tim

psling
    Free Member

I still use a Phoenix Phreak (one for the older campers amongst us!), well cared for and still going strong after more years than I can remember. Fortunately never gone up in flames despite cooking in the porch numerous times. Common sense is the main point. I can understand the point smee is making that it can be dangerous but with experience, the right kit and common sense it doesn’t have to be. Like druidh, I too keep an open penknife in the tent when I’m in it.

Sorry to the OP, but have no experience of what to reccommend of todays available tents.

andym
    Free Member

Backpackinglight have been running a series of tests on the carbon monoxide levels produced by various makes and types of stove. Worth a read:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_index.html

druidh
    Free Member

Precís please?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Smee,

you’re not going to argue with everyone all weekend on the Glen Clova trip, are you?

Are you?

I must be another unsafe/incompetent ML holder as well – I regularly cook inside the tent porch, as did my ML trainer and assessor.

Judgement/risk management is what we’re talking about – just about everything we do carries a theoretical risk, we use our judgement and we put measures in place to minimise these risks. Matt’s argument about the benefits of a decent meal outweighing the small risk of a stove flaring/exploding is a pretty sound one IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Backpacking tents’ is closed to new replies.