Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • back wheel came off!
  • Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

built up an orange five and took out for a shake down test. all good, 1 hour ride, struck for home and had big off. face down watching my rear wheel fly overhead and away. pride, knees and ankles grazed. but how come the back wheel can remove itself that easily? QR could have been loose, but surely the vertical mounting and the chain works against the cassette/axle to keep everything somewhere in the right place.

anyone with past experience and advice please?

legend
    Free Member

QR could have been loose

that’s about it really, nothing else doing the job of holding it in there

t-p26
    Free Member

QR could have been loose

Maybe not done up properly in the first place.Always check its properly tight and it wont happen again…
    😉

Northwind

What was the QR incidentally? (If it was a Shimano, you did it up wrong. If it’s Hope, you probably didn’t 😉 )

grtdkad

…did you bounce much then?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Is’nt that just how orange fives ride. Skinned knees and rear wheels rolling around all over the place the last time I went to a trail centre.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I forgot to do my qr up once as well…..my advice would be not to do it again.

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    What was the QR incidentally? (If it was a Shimano, you did it up wrong. If it’s Hope, you probably didn’t )

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

It was shimano. Think you’re right. Must of worked loose and lever was probably not positioned well

Northwind

Shimano basically don’t work loose if you fitted it right (unless broken o’course but I’ve got one from the 90s that still works better than most new QRs)

If you have a Hope Pro 2 hub, you could consider switching to bolt-in… You’ve got 2 points of engagement there and both need to come loose/not be tightened before the wheel can come out.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Yeah had my rear wheel drop out with shimano QR, going over a drop off which was pretty interesting – god those XTR mechs are tough! as the bike landed on it and is still fine

defintly do it up tight and on the rear make sure the lever is pointing away from the direction of travel, then any stones, sticks etc are unlikely to open the lever when they invariably hit it

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Discovered that the nut around the axle close to the disc was loose and with the slight offset action of the hub, it had probably made the qr work loose. so check those nuts!

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Northwind- shimano hub. Qr in forward direction and loose. Plus my last post = catastrophe

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘back wheel came off!’ is closed to new replies.