Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Back to the road…
  • yodel21
    Free Member

Thinking of hopping on a road bike again after 20+ years with the MTB. With an £850 max budget,any thoughts on whether to go for better spec than Sora/Tiagra as there are some 105 bikes out there, not many and not for long though I guess!
    I’m looking at 2 x 20 mile rides per week in summer, 1 in winter and maybe 1 or 2 60+ miles a year.
    Cheers folks

willber
    Free Member

I’d be looking in classifieds/ebay/gumtree with that budget

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d be looking in classifieds/ebay/gumtree with that budget

Normally, possibly, but we are now firmly in sales season, and there are some really good bargains to be had on brand new bikes.

For example:

£699 would get you a 105 equipped Giant Defy, depending on your size, from Rutland Cycles or Pedalon.

…or, if you can stretch to another £50. You could get one of the new Carbon Ribbles with 11speed 105.

TiRed

No reason to go above Tiagra, other than looks. It shifts better than 10spd 105. The shift indicators aren’t so bad. The full Tiagra groupset is actually a rare thing on bikes at your (or any) price point. Brakes and crankset are normally cheaper.

lemonysam
    Free Member

No reason to go above Tiagra, other than looks. It shifts better than 10spd 105. The shift indicators aren’t so bad.

+1 I’ve had 5 years and well over 10,000 miles out of my tiagra groupset and whilst it’s not especially gucci looking or feeling, its performance is still good enough that I’m in no rush to upgrade.

edit: obviously if you want to spend more then go for it, you will probably end up with a better, lighter bike but don’t feel like Tiagra is going to hold you back.

prawny

That Ribble + infinity

That said, tiagra is more than good enough now its 10 speed and even sora is better than it was now they’ve changed the shifter design. For £850 you can get something pretty good.

muddy@rseguy

Don’t worry about the groupset as even Sora is pretty good now, instead take a good look at the fit of the bike, the ride, the frame and the wheels, in that order. Road bike components don’t wear out anywhere near as fast as a mountain bike, the key issue will be your fitness which will get better as you ride them more, provided you actually enjoy riding on road!

If you like the bike you will be riding longer distances on it too.

Lots of really good road bikes available for £850 so don’t worry about the budget unless you desperately want something super lightweight. There are some pretty good Carbon bikes are on special offer at the moment but the alloy frame/carbon fork ones are really good too so you’ll actually be spoilt for choice.

Also don’t forget some shoes/pedals though basic Shimano SPD R’s are dirt cheap and work very well, as for shoes, Wiggle and Dhb is your friend!

lemonysam
    Free Member

The biggest problem with that ribble is that you’ll have to put up with MrSmith following you around screaming that you can’t race a sportive.

That aside, I want!

Jamie
    Free Member

That aside, I want!

I would say that would be the main reason to get one. The motivation of having your own MrSmith, giving you verbals like an angry cox….in a boat race, would spur you on to own those sportive KOMs!

chakaping
    Free Member

The biggest problem with that ribble is that you’ll have to put up with MrSmith following you around screaming that you can’t race a sportive.

Comment of the year. 😆

And seriously, I’ve ridden a Ribble carbon sportive frame a fair bit. It was firm but not uncomfortable, handled nicely. Good basic carbon really.

Coming with 11 speed 105 it looks as good a place as any to start – with big improvements to be had later if you upgrade to a nicer wheelset.

atlaz
    Free Member

Ribble are cheeky buggers aren’t they. Photos of bike with Zipp wheels. RS11’s are about 100 quid a pair, Zipp cost more than this entire bike. Not a big issue but some people will be expecting dimpled deep rim wheels turning up

wilburt
    Free Member

I bet that Ribble frame is under 1000g and the fork 400g not a bad place to start if you want a light bike. It’s not clear if your looking to go Strava hunting though, maybe something more relaxing would suit, probably won’t make much difference to real world speed.

Jamie
    Free Member

..but then those people would be guilty of not reading.

No different to car ads alwys featuring the top of the line model with all the extras.

yodel21
    Free Member

Many thanks people, as long as I’m being followed and told I can’t race a sportive, I don’t mind!

TiRed

I never saw alloy wheels that cost more than the base model car ;).

As said, plenty of choice. Mine would be the CAAD8 Tiagra, as we have one, obviously, but the big brands all make great bikes in your price range.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You can’t ‘race’ a sportive.
    (You are not being followed, well not by me)

antigee

my way of thinking would be that a 105 spec’d bike would be a bit easier to sell if you decide its not for you and – though I’d rather buy a bike that feels right for me than on spec alone

this article over on road.cc might be useful if not seen – about half way down it looks at bike under £900

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/121928-10-best-road-bikes-under-£1000

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Back to the road…’ is closed to new replies.