Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Back to a hardtail again..
  • AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

After much thinking, i have decided to give riding a hardtail again, felt I have got a bit lazy with the full sus and it was more the bike than me, plus normal rides don’t really need suspension…

So one posting in the classifieds later and thanks to IA a new (to me) frame arrived.

Bonus of all the parts from my FS fit (apart from the front mech) so a bit of tinkering in the litchen last night resulted in this….(excuse the kitchen and grainy iphone pic)

It’s a Marin, an Eldridge Grade, may not be flavour of the month but I like it.

First proper ride tomorrow night.

Let the love/hate flow……..

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

I did correct litchen to kitchen i swear, not sure why the typo stil exists…DOH!

hora
    Free Member

My missus would never let me leave eggs out of the fridge!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

I know, they are not my eggs, not my kitchen 🙂

And no, I did not break into a house where I knew they had a workstand…..

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Hora, tell your Mrs the eggs will keep longer out of the fridge. The moist environment in there makes the shells permeable and air gets in. Plus the yolks are less likely to split when you crack them in to a hot pan if they are already at room temperature.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I like the egg stand arrangment too. A very sensible way to store eggs imho.

But getting back to the bike, I think it is very telling that despite working for and presumably having a staff discount for the huuuugest bike shop, and being surrounded by radness and radical branding etc, Andy chooses (whispers) a Marin.

Are we marin-haterz missing out on something?

trailmonkey

Eggs should not be in the fridge, other than that, it looks like a nice ride.

mieszko
    Free Member

I went back to a HT as well.

Looks nice and can see some good components, no bling just stuff that works.

As a Marin owner You need to get a beard now (thats what I read on here some time ago). 😉

Really nice bike.

enfht
    Free Member

Doesn’t the “best before” date only apply if you keep eggs refrigerated? I think for everyone’s sake this needs urgent clarification.

(nice bike etc)

nickc

White cables? what will the neighbours say? 😀

darrell
    Free Member

just about to finish building up my new hardtail. A Bfe. when its finished and the foot of snow and ice round ‘ere **** off i’ll go for a ride and then post some piccies.

there’s white cables on mine as well 😀

rOcKeTdOg

the eggs would last longer if they were straight

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Maybe surrounded by nice stuff and yes I may get staff discount, however for the money for in effect a brand new unridden frame it was not hard to make the decision….

Would have loved the Cove Hummer we have, a little bit of a stretch though.

The Eldridge Grade was my second ever proper bike back in the day and that rode really well, the new one gets good reviews as well, and despite the image, they make sorted bikes on the whole…

Oh the beard thing, sorry no, it maybe a Marin but I will remain beardless!

akira

I usually put the fs away for winter and ride a nice little bodged together hardtail and it’s always loads of fun. Trying very hard to resist the urge to splurge some money on it…….babies coming on monday…must not buy bike stuff.

darrell
    Free Member

what about wearing sandels

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Nope, no sandals either, sidis all the way for me 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

darrell – Member

what about wearing sandels

Or as someone i know once described them ‘Nike Air Jerusalem’s’ 😆

hora
    Free Member

I like hardtails. Any speed feels fast!

ononeorange

According to the EC labelling rules, the best before date applies assuming correct storage has been maintained. And according to the egg safety guidelines on some fairly random website, eggs should be kept refrigerated after purchase.

mudshark
    Free Member

I lay my own eggs and keep in a larder. Once hard boiled they should be kept in the fridge and eaten within a few days.

TheGingerOne

Why should you refrigerate eggs after purchase when they are not refrigerated in the shop?

I don’t understand!

jamesca
    Free Member

could you not steal a HT from your place of work, it’s the least they could do for you after fending off the sometimes anti CRC sentiment on here.

…..get me some 888 WC’s while your on

RudeBoy
    Free Member

ourkidsam has it, on the issue of eggs storage. Seems to know his stuff.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say he’s an…

…wait for it…

…EGGspert.

Egg-spert, geddit?

Oh, bloody sod yer then.

Nice bike btw. My mate HackneyRider got that same frame, as a warranty replacement, and it’s really nice. Love the colour, personally.

Marin make proper decent bikes. As good as owt else out there. Dunno why people stick their noses up at them.

julianwilson
    Free Member

…i can’t understand my own aversion to Marins either. But it is a recurring joke amongst my riding mates that the only thing that got the full-face-helmeted pressure-suited julian down one particular drop-off recently was seeing a bloke on a marin make it look easy. (cue Brian Blessed voice saying “whaaaaat?! he did it on a MARIN!?!?”)

corroded
    Free Member

A couple of points about the eggs:
    – remember to store them pointy end down
    – cool larder or pantry better than the fridge
    – not sure about best before dates but ours come from the garden and last for weeks

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Tyre logos not aligned with egg stand. Get to the back of the class.

wwaswas

“ours come from the garden”

pigeon?

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

😀 must try harder!!

Never even considered the egg/tyre issue…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

“ours come from the garden”

pigeon?

No, silly; he’s got an Egg Plant!

I’ve kept it on, for that very reason…

twohats
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of info out there on storing eggs!
    Just had a quick search on the tinternet which gives very conflicting views on egg storage…

coffeeking
    Free Member

A couple of points about the eggs:
    – remember to store them pointy end down
    – cool larder or pantry better than the fridge
    – not sure about best before dates but ours come from the garden and last for weeks

Never had problems storing my eggs in the fridge, any end down. Why would I store them in a specific orientation, I’m not trying to hatch them?

Lions Eggs say:

“Where should eggs be stored?
    For optimum freshness and food safety, eggs should be kept at a constant temperature below 20oC. To avoid the typical temperature fluctuations in a domestic kitchen, we recommend that eggs are stored in their box in the fridge.”

“Should I restrict the number of eggs I eat?
    No, for most people there is no need to restrict eggs. Neither the Food Standards Agency nor the British Heart Foundation recommend a limit on the number of eggs you can eat. Some people have had reservations in the past about eating eggs, due to their cholesterol content, but it is now recognised that eating too much saturated fat is more likely to raise blood cholesterol than eating foods rich in dietary cholesterol. Eggs are not high in saturated fat. “

And more eggy fun http://www.britegg.co.uk/faqs/startfaqs.html#Anchor-Should-21683

Not keen on the frame design BTW, but enjoy riding it!

nicko74

I’ve wondered a couple of times about those Marins with triangular frames. It looks like it could be kinda harsh – maybe not GT harsh, but getting on for. Let us know how you get on!

IA

I don’t know anything about eggs, but the frame looks good with those white cables. Hope it rides good too – after reading reviews I did consider keeping it, but then I really wanted to stick with the full sus. And the trance I have is even bigger than the marin..

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

I know, i have the same size, Trance frame 22″ XL!!

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Cheers once again for the frame, right place right time, for once 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice, I like them Marins with the diamond profile tubes.

That a Reba with Maxle on it?

corroded
    Free Member

@Coffeeking – pointy end down because there’s an air sac in the rounded end and it’s better to keep that at the top
    Thanks to the air sac you can also test for freshness by putting the egg in a jug of water; if it floats it’s off.

IA

What front mech did you have on the trance that didn’t fit? The one off the marin fitted the trance fine.

EDIT: hang on, that’s cos it was dual pull.

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Yes, Reba, 120mm travel, 20mm Maxle.

walleater

Inbred (well couldn’t you have got a deal On One?)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Back to a hardtail again..’ is closed to new replies.