• This topic has 49 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Aw aye, PPI!
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So I sent of a PPI claim a few months ago on a card I’ve had since about 2000, aye I was daft with credit cards when I was younger.

Anyhow, I got knocked back about a month or 2 ago, but got another letter mentioning that they were unable to give a final response, well they didn’t actually say that, they knocked me back. But anyhow the said that was because it may have been impacted by some court case, plevin v paragon.

So it waffled on, showed some sums at the back and I thought I was getting a cheque for 91 quid. tbh, didn’t really read it that deeply!

friday, cheque comes through the door, for £876.33! happy days!

I guessing the correct course of action on my part here is just to accept the cash and enter into no further correspondence? 😆

Aye don’t you worry about the 6 months, it’s already been deposited! 😆

Anyhow, I’ve no really scooby about this, I really just filled out forms and fired off on a whim. should I be happy with that, anyone translate? what’s the 50% bit they are talking about, still got a further claim there through the ombudsman? (If so what forms do I fill out? 😆 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds good Joe, enjoy*.

* Ignore the impending shit storm of moral bawbags heading this way…. :mrgreen:

seosamh77
    Free Member

haha, just one reply to the second part of that comment, roun yeez! 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I filled in a form from CCP (?) & got £186 back. No commission paid either.
    Waiting for another response from MBNA.

robowns
    Free Member

Beats reading what you sign up for boys, mugs game that

Drac

Being told it’s the only way you can have the card, credit or deal was a lie in many cases or it was added regardless of what people signed for.

frankconway

That 50% appears to be the proportion of ‘excess commission and fees’ which were unfairly charged and Plevin is the applicable case law.
    The ombudsman bit is if you want to push your luck or believe their offer is unacceptable.
    As you’ve already banked the cheque that probably would be viewed as you having accepted the offer.
    The icing on these settlements is the 8% annual simple interest.
    I received a settlement from Lloyds in May/June after they rejected my claim twice; should I go back to discuss Plevin?

rene59
    Free Member

What about the ones where someone signed you up and never told you about it?

robowns
    Free Member

What about the ones where someone signed you up and never told you about it?

Pretty much never happened mate, but that would be very naughty.

nealglover
    Free Member

I was told I couldn’t get the mortgage if I didn’t have it.

I was self employed so it was useless to me.

Total textbook mis selling.

scaled
    Free Member

Oh it happened! My loan didn’t have PPI on it when i took it out, apparently i went back in to branch over a week later and requested that it was added on!

Drac

It did hence why they’re having to pay out on many cases.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh, I don’t ever remember ticking a ppi check box nor remember any mention of ppi, I’ve never taken it on anything else in my puff. That was the main thrust of my reason for complaining. I always had and inclining I should have sent the forms off, but just got aff my arse and done it a few months ago.

rene59
    Free Member

It happened to lots of people.

jam-bo

Waiting on a plevins judgement here too.

Yep, they banks are just handing out money out of the kindness of their hearts.

Cougar

It is naughty, and that’s why most banks are rolling over and paying out rather than fighting it. It happened *a lot*.

robowns
    Free Member

Not as much as you lot seem to think it did, plenty of figures online comparing the amount of compensation paid vs. the total amount of PPI sold, nevermind missold. It was eventually used as a stealth bank tax to stimulate the economy, which is drying up and now and having an effect ie. Car sales.

nealglover
    Free Member

It was eventually used as a stealth bank tax

You used to sell PPI right ?

Poopscoop

nealglover – Member
    It was eventually used as a stealth bank tax

😀

robowns
    Free Member

I wish, think of the commission.

FuzzyWuzzy

My 7 PPI check requests have all come back negative but then again I didn’t think I’d had it on any cards or loans I’d taken out so I guess I shouldn’t be too disappointed.

johnners
    Free Member

You could be on to something there, maybe the banks could club together for a lawyer who could put that argument to a judge who could make a ruling in some court or other.

robowns
    Free Member

banks could club together for a lawyer who could put that argument to a judge

And the judge could throw it out because it turns out the banks need to be seen to make a concession to the economy for the crisis?

Stoner
    Free Member

My neighbour had a punt at making a PPI claim but he wasnt confident as he had no paperwork for all the loans and cards he had when he came out of the forces and started on civvy st. He’s retired now.

He was awarded £24k last week.

P20

Currently going through the process. I’d previously been told I didn’t but giving it another go. So far a couple have confirmed I did have it. I never wanted it but it was either added or I was told I had to have it. Waiting to see what happens

hodgynd
    Free Member

I have recently been contacted by a company who are looking at a successful claim we had on the basis that we may not have been refunded enough ..letter of authority signed and sent ..

jimmy

Just had a pAyment of 580 for a shot in the dark claim against a credit card I barely used. I used the service on MSE – easy and free, nice timely bonus.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, I just filled out the forms from money saving expert too btw(think that’s where I got them), didn’t go through anyone. Pretty easy, worth a try anyhow if anyone is swithering.

DezB
    Free Member

I claimed around £10K on my PPI. They paid me monthly during a period of unemployment. Very handy.

blitz

I had a couple of claims in with egg for a loan and credit card. Had successful claim for the loan but unsuccessful for the credit card. Out of the blue got a letter last week from Canada square operations who deal with the Egg claims. Said something like new case law might mean you may be owed something with a form to sign and return to them if I wanted to persue it. Sent it back and awaiting a response. No idea if anything will come of it.

Cougar

I have recently been contacted by a company who are looking at a successful claim we had on the basis that we may not have been refunded enough ..letter of authority signed and sent ..

I had a couple of claims in with egg for a loan and credit card. Had successful claim for the loan but unsuccessful for the credit card. Out of the blue got a letter last week from Canada square operations who deal with the Egg claims. Said something like new case law might mean you may be owed something with a form to sign and return to them if I wanted to persue it. Sent it back and awaiting a response. No idea if anything will come of it.

“Congratulations! We’ve successfully negotiated your claim and you have been awarded an extra £5,000. Minus our fees, please find enclosed cheque for £6.47”

hodgynd
    Free Member

That will be about right .. 😆
    36% this company takes OR they will tell you if there is anything there to claim and you can chase it yourself ..

Weasel
    Free Member

I had a £1200 PPI payout this year, and after looking at the breakdown believe that (next tax year) you can claim back the UK withholding tax which was deducted.

edlong
    Free Member

I claimed around £10K on my PPI. They paid me monthly during a period of unemployment. Very handy.

Although compared to income protection insurance, which would protect a defined percentage of your total income rather than just one payment on one outgoing, it would still have probably been poor value for money.

DezB
    Free Member

Have you got PPI?

[video]https://youtu.be/ZAiQxOeB3JY[/video]

Weird clickbait ad appears on loads of sites! Are we drawn in by a saucy girlie?

jam-bo

Just had a letter saying my plevin case decision has been delayed due to volume of cases but I can refer to ombudsman if I wish.

Is there any benefit in that or shall I just wait?

spooky_b329

How about where they imply you are a high risk and suggest taking out PPI will increase your chances of loan approval. And they also suggest that I need my Dad to guarantee the loan, which in hindsight, makes the PPI redundant as if I can’t pay, he has to pay instead.

So for a £3k loan in 2003ish, they found in my favour, and for roughly £200 in PPI premiums, I got £900 back. However, they sent half to my dad as it turns out they added him as a joint account rather than a guarantor, thankfully he sent me the cash seeing as I paid all of the repayments!

jam-bo

Is there any benefit in that or shall I just wait?

Didn’t take long. Text message this morning and £750 in my bank account.

P20

Got my PPI refund yesterday. Well worth a couple of hours spent from filling and a couple of phone calls. Not a penny given to the PPI companies

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I got a grand sum of….£86.82p back from MBNA (that I mentioned on the 1st page. All for putting a date on a form & signing it.
    Better in my pocket etc..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Aw aye, PPI!’ is closed to new replies.