• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by JonR.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid Elixir R caliper setup grrrr
  • Pukeko
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just me, but has anyone else found setup/allignment of elixir R calipers with disc rotor using the cup and cone mount a pain?? Any tips appreciated…….

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Loosen the bolts so the caliper moves freely. Gently squeeze the brake lever so that the pads engage the rotor. Again gently, tighten up the bolts on the caliper enough to stop any movement. Let go of the brake lever, check the wheel spins freely, give the bolts a final torque.

Job done.

starsh78
    Free Member

easier to do it all by eye 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

That final torquing, without the lever pulled may pull the caliper back out of alignment. I’d torque them up *with* the lever pulled.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I centralise the calliper as above, by pulling the lever and clamping the rotor.

But, I nip up the bolts bit by bit alternating between the two. 1/8th turn on the top bolt, 1/8th of a turn on the bottom, 1/8th of a turn on the top etc……… Stops them being pulled out of line.

Mind you I do that with other makes of brake too.

stumpy01

mk1fan – Member
    I centralise the calliper as above, by pulling the lever and clamping the rotor.

But, I nip up the bolts bit by bit alternating between the two. 1/8th turn on the top bolt, 1/8th of a turn on the bottom, 1/8th of a turn on the top etc……… Stops them being pulled out of line

This is how I do it. If you just yank on them, it’ll more than likely just twist it out of line.

cp

mk1 fan +1 again hereish – loosen bolts, pull lever, tighten bit by bit till they just nip, release lever, pull lever, final tighten. really very easy!

it’s how i do all post mount, avid or otherwise.

Pukeko
    Free Member

I’ll give it a another go tonight. Normally I don’t have any probs – was running low on caffine and garage fettle time! They are a tight fit on the rotor tho so maybe a few rolls down local hill will sort that 8)

marsdenman
    Free Member

Loosen bolts.
    Spin wheel as quick as you can. (barking I know but, using this technique has minimised squeak for a slightly warped front rotor…)
    Slowly pull brake lever in.
    Hold level down whilst you slowly pinch up bolts.
    Works for me..

Pieface

As other have said. Loosen bolts off, then loosely align by eye and then put the brake on full and tighten the bolts up alternately.

JonR
    Free Member

I’ve had problems aligning in the past not realising that I had a sticky piston in my calliper so by pulling gently I was actually kicking it out of line before tightening and then worrying why it still rubbed like a £$#* It needed a bit of a fettle to lube the piston and then re-bleed the system before I could aligned them correctly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir R caliper setup grrrr’ is closed to new replies.