Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Avid elixir R – any good?
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Better than XTs? Feel? ease to work on?
    cheaper anywhere than Merlin at £160 for the pair inc rotors?

faint
    Free Member

there good when they've been fitted properly.
    took me a month to realise that part of the caliper casting was hitting the bevelled washers and knocking it all askew every time I bolted them up.
    sorted now thanks to a bit of filing

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mates got some and very pleased with them.

Edit: he got them on the Merlin offer 🙂

adstick
    Free Member

Pricey for what they are, I think XT are better made, but they're a very nice feeling powerful brake.

RealMan
    Free Member

I really like my CRs, when they work. Had a few reliability issues, but the Rs are probably more reliable as they don't have the stupid pad contact adjustment feature, which doesn't work anyway.

chiefgrooveguru

Very nice one-finger braking on my Boardman HT. Good modulation.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I like mine but they are known to have problems with the bleed from new. Unfortunately a bleed kit is £35! Fortunately it works really well and once you have done it a few times you can do a full bleed with fresh fluid or a new hose in under 10 mins.

They are great when bled and I prefer mine to my old mono M4s.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Love mine – been faultless for 18mths – bleeding first time round is a bit of a faff but once you know what you're doing it's a doddle

bol

Best brakes I've used. Luckily they aren't niche enough for some, so you can usually get some great deals on barely used sets on here.

littlebear
    Free Member

I have a brand new set of CR's going

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

how much? oh and emailed you 🙂

stumpy01

I've got a set of the D'a & they are pretty good – although I had to bleed the rear from new. Pad replacement loads easier than.the Juicys.
    Time will tell if the piston stick like they do on my Juicys a. it.

beb

echo many of the comments here – lovely brakes, powerful and much much better modulated than juicy's. More linear and less grabby. Pad replacement is a doddle. I have also had the same problem with bad factory bleed on my rear brake, but once properly bled they're great.

In the past I've run 2-pot (non-servowave) xt's, 2-pot saints (same brake), hayes, juicy's, formula oro bianco's and these are my faves. For info I weigh 11.5st and with 203/185 rotors they're plenty powerful enough for alps use on my pitch too.

If you do get some you can get cheaper bleed kits from red dog racing which work just as well as the avid ones (used both)

rolymo
    Free Member

very good brakes, no issues with mine. Except they tend to squeel a lot when cold………anyone else managed to sort this out?

littlebear
    Free Member

Sent you an email GeeWavetree…. And updated my profile as my email was wrong 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The plastic reach adjusters tend to seize. A couple of sets I sent off to fishers for a warranty fix for this came back un-bled. Otherwise they're a nice-feely strong brake.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Like mine but they can be a bit, well, bloody noisy. Ok once they have had some hammer and warmed up though. Do be prepared for some faffing getting them set up straight and centered though.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Right – took the plunge and ordered some 🙂 will be with me tomorrow!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Avid elixir R – any good?’ is closed to new replies.