Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Avid Elixir problem – any ideas?
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Trying to sort out a guest’s brake for him. Lever was pulling in to the bar (still braking a bit, but going to the bar). Bled the brake and when we get to the bit where you draw air out of the lever, it just keeps on coming. More air than the system can possibly hold. Have checked bleed adapter is tight and hose is secure, have checked hose connections, etc on the brake. Guessing there must be a bad seal in the lever somewhere?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Can you see the fluid coming out?

keegs27
    Free Member

Have you wound the lever reach adjust wheel in a bit? I know that on the Avid bleed video they instruct you to bring the lever in towards the bar. I think this feature of the Elixiris is known for having problems.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Cheers guys – can’t see any fluid coming out, but we did wind the lever travel all the way out today to give him as much braking as possible, might be worth trying winding it back in.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I find that the syringes usually leak making it seem like there is air escaping somewhere. Never get a really good feel to avid brakes.

robhughes
    Free Member

This happened to me on the rear brake.
    I just pressurize the lever again then slowly and without going mad just pull any last bits of air out.
    Re pressurize again and take it off.
    I was convinced that i was pulling air past a seal somewhere.
    It just filled the syringe with air as you said.
    Defo coming strait up the tube out of the lever and not the syringe seal like yours …weird…

coatesy
    Free Member

The o-ring on the brass adaptors don’t last forever, I have to change them on a regular basis to prevent them sucking air in.Also try pressurising the system with the syringe, if you have a duff seal or diaphragm you may then spot it leaking.

robhughes
    Free Member

It,s weird.I pressurized the system to death and found not one leak.
    After the bleed they work spot on and can,t knock them…
    Still scratching my head about that one…

JohnnyPanic

I found (on one occasion) that it’s possible to unscrew the barrel adjuster (on CR’s) too far and introduce air past the seal there.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I had this problem, took it to the lbs and the seal at the piston was knackered.

invu
    Free Member

buy shimano, hope or magura?

stevomcd
    Free Member

invu, exactly my advice – we get asked “which brakes?” quite a lot. I tend to suggest “anything but Avid!” :mrgreen:

bland

Yeah i took a punt on Elixir CR’s and boiled the rears arse on a cheeky Pila-Aosta run last week.

Not best

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Had a similar problem with my front brake , end up pulling to the bar and not working , has been bled countless times and always full of air . Got fed up with it and it has been sent away ( under warranty 😀 ) I’ve got to pick it up tomorrow from LBS, They say its had ALL the seals replaced so should be ok , if not its going in the bin !

stevomcd
    Free Member

Further inspection in the daylight, without rain to confuse things, shows that it was p*ssing fluid out of the lever! Thanks all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Avid Elixir problem – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.